Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A snorkel won't save your engine

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb A snorkel won't save your engine

I write this up because even though I read heaps of magazines and on the web I never came across this anywhere. It might save your engine...

A snorkel is supposed to keep the water out of your engine. And it does but only to a degree. Even if all your connections are perfectly water tight you might still inhale the wet stuff. How? Many air filter boxes have drainage holes to get moisture and bigger bits out again. If you just drive through water that shouldn't be a problem. I've been in over bonnet deep crossings a few times by now. But if you get bogged in deep water then your filter boxes will happily fill with water which the engine sucks further in. And we all know that's not a good thing.

I've also read many times to let your engine idle if you get stuck in water. I assume to keep water out of the exhaust and to keep higher voltage on the battery? I do wonder now if it would be better to switch off right away if stuck in bonnet deep water. Than at least the engine can't inhale the water which floods the filter box and all you need to do is dry out the filters or replace them once you're out. In addition it's a good idea to take the glow plugs out and turn the engine over just in case water did get in there (it will spit out the holes). Black engine oil alone is no indication that water didn't get in some parts of the engine. In any case I would temporarily block the drain holes before any deep water crossing.
    '93 GQ 4.2l diesel: 3" Koni/King lift, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, 165l tanks, snorkel, roof rack, rooftop tent, CB radio, DIY storage, dual battery setup, & 50l Waeco fridge.
    RIP '95 GQ 4.2l petrol/lpg, RIP '89 Pajero

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flo-w For This Useful Post:

04OFF (10th July 2014), FNQGU (10th July 2014), GUDriver (18th May 2016), Hardyards (10th July 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a story for us Flo-w? Come on, out with it! Details and pics required!!

We've all come unstuck at some point and there is nothing to be embarrassed about, only opportunities to learn from others experiences. eg. check the drain plugs on the air box!
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree Flo-w, this is exactly why i blocked/sealed my air box drain when i fitted my snorkel, ive had this conversation before on the forum, and it seems a lot of people prefer to, knowingly leave the drain as per factory, so it also lets water OUT of the air box.

I can understand their thinking to a degree, as rain water may enter the snorkel, if you have a safari snorkel (as i do), the head design, and the factory water trap, greatly reduces what water (if any) that may get as far as the air box.

Modifing the intake from factory to seal it better for water crossings, and then putting faith in a small rubber flap hanging from the inner gaurd, only 2 inches above the LHF tyre (on my car) does not make a lot of sense to me, i didn't want to take the risk so blocked it off.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three points:

If you take out the drain flap in the air box, it will never empty. It's open to sabotage, ie snorkel being filled with a garden hose. Read about it on a land rover forum. Maybe keep the drain, but have a tap to seal it off during high crossings or hardcore trips. Or fit a self priming bilge pump specifically for the airbox.

Secondly, when the engine is switched off, the water will naturally go up the exhaust to equal the water level on the side of the vehicle. Then it will as the engine /turbo cools suck water up further as the air/exhaust cools and contracts.

Thirdly the positive crankcase ventilation (pcv) keeps a positive air pressure inside the engine to help keep water ingress.

For me this is enough to keep my engine running, unless there is imminent evidence/danger of water in the engine. Ie water is pouring in the snorkel. Then I would shut off ASAP, and remove injectors etc before cranking it over.
    Last edited by P4trol; 10th July 2014 at 12:09 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to P4trol For This Useful Post:

GUDriver (18th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The drain on the Nissan Air box is long and has a tubular hose on the end and has a slit in it like the old glue bottles from school. The idea is that if there is pressure from outside (Flood) then the hose compresses and blocks limiting the back flow to very little or zero. We are not submarines though. Get out as quickly as you can. in a water crossing a bow wave is your friend as it keeps the water Out of the engine bay by keeping it in front of the car hence the use of the fording bra.

When i moded the air box on the GQ i added a length of bicycle tube to the factory drain . it is 100mm long. good luck leaking back up that. It will float and kink straight away.

If you block the drain then you risk inundation in a rain storm and nowhere for the water to go but into your turbo. The flow out of the air box via the drain plug is a drip.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Avo (10th July 2014), Clunk (10th July 2014), GUDriver (18th May 2016), Majestic (20th February 2015), Winnie (10th July 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had a problem with rain and hail, even driving during rain we around the 2011 Brisbane floods period, pretty sure that's a good test, as anyone in Brisbane will confirm, we had a shipload of heavy rain, my car was exposed 24/7, so if the snorkel was ever going to fill up with water, im sure it would have then.

Maybe its different for you guys because I have a 4.5L that runs a different air cleaner set up, that reminds me, after my car had its little sleep upside down, my air box carried about 2 litres of oil for well over a year without me knowing, only when I went to change the filter, did the oil come rushing out !

I doubt its worth while retaining the drain just in case you roll your car tho (lol)
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've blocked the drain on mine also and had no issues from doing that..

I have however drowned my car because some idiot apprentice at nissan didn't put back in the foam seal correctly when it fell out servicing my car. My filter box had an inch of water in it (prior to sealing the drain)and was running rough so I pulled the glow plugs and turned it over with metho to remove any remaining water, changed oil and filters and cleaned maf and all was good.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great info. thanks everyone

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine bad luck of rolling the car in water on the side of the snorkel

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I have a snorkel fitted and with a drain hole valve in the box I went to the expense of buying a "UNIFILTER" which is covered in sticky oil that keeps water and dust out as well should it ever get into the air box. The filter is one of the best investments I have made and I have had them on all my 4x4's for close on 30 years at a guess, starting with the "Finer Filter" in my 1982 Toyota Hilux.
    (Sorry to all you Nissan Diehards but that was a long time ago and I now have a Patrol, so no abuse please)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast