OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Differential rebuild GQ RB30 4.375 Help!

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Differential rebuild GQ RB30 4.375 Help!

Hi guys,
    The diff has been whirring and growling for a while, when coasting, (not so much when accelerating)
    This was the video of the problem posted on youtube while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljzutTaygO4

I finally pulled out the rear diff centre.
    To my surprise(or not so), I found the pinion nut was completely loose.
    Pinion seal was obviously no good, because it was leaking diff oil a little bit(May be because of the loose pinion?)
    I removed the drive shaft last year to clean it and grease it.
    But, that couldn't have possible caused the pinion nut to go loose, can it?
    So, was it the worn pinion bearing(s) that caused the nut to come loose(happened very quickly though)??!!

I'm wondering right now,

1)Are the outer and inner pinion bearings are stuffed? Or is this a problem caused by pinion nut coming loose
    for some unknown reason?

2) Do I have to replace the pinion bearings? I haven't take them out yet.

3)How do you know the outer and inner pinion bearings are bad, without taking them out?
    I can see the pinion bearings closely without taking the pinion gear out. But that apparently not possible
    without pulling the bearings out?

4)So, do I need to pull the bearings out with a bearing puller and closely examine them first? Is it possible to do that without damaging the pinion bearings+races(probably a dumb question)?

5)Flange looks like there is a burred groove on it caused by the pinion seal(+loose flange, because the pinion nut was loose). Is that the case? See the picture.
    Do I need to replace the flange or use some kind of speedy sleeve to repair it?

6)My point on asking all these questions is, whether it's possible to getaway with basically putting back things the way they were and only setting the pinion bearing preload without replacing bearings?
    I'm not trying to be an el cheapo. But, prefer to not to fix it, if it ain't broken.

Crown wheel carrier bearings are looking good by the looks of it. I can't see any chips or visible wear/tear!
    Crown wheel carrier bearings are not shimmed.

I can make the backlash adjustment with a dial gauge.
    I don't have an inch pound torque wrench(not yet), but I can use a homemade one for the time being.
    I can check/set the gear pattern with some acrylic paint or something as gear marking compound.
    I can't find proper gear marking compound. Nobody sells them(??!!)

Thanks for any help/advice guys. It's much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach