Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this standard height suspension

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this standard height suspension

Hi I'm a newbie here and just starting to modify my gq for touring. I would like to know what I'm starting with and I'm not sure if my suspension is standard or lifted. I measure 540mm from hub centre to the bottom edge of the rubber flare on the front axle and 570 for the same on the rear. My truck is fitted with a TJM steel winch bar (no winch yet) and steel TJM brushbars/side steps. I imagine these accessories would sag the springs a bit. Any help would be appreciated :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes it is lifted for sure mate.

Can you post a pic of he yellow front shock.

What size tyres are they?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

jayisbikes (8th July 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks lifted, looking at the wheel arches.
    The little tyres might make the gap bigger though.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MEGOMONSTER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with mudrunner it is certainly lifted, if you put up some pictures of the radius arms at the front we may be able to tell you what the castor correction is (if any) or what else is non stardard with the suspension
    GQ highmount, lockers, barwork, 3-Link front, long arms, V8, cage, duct tape, cable ties and 35's

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bet is on 2 inch lift.....they look like 31 inch roadies that make the wheel arch clearance look bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. Tyres are 31" roadies. I have got a couple of quick shots of the shocks and radius arms, let me know if you need more detail. Should I be worried about the lifespan of the rusty coil springs? It's a bit difficult to see in the pic but the rear radius arm doesn't look concentric but it may just be worn out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not familiar with that shock, someone else might be able to tell you. But if your radius arm bush's are not concentric (it could be wear) but is more likely that castor correction bushes have been put in like these:

http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/...ndcruiser.html

Its probably a 2" lift, that little bit of rust on the springs I would not be concerned with, breaking springs is very uncommon.
    GQ highmount, lockers, barwork, 3-Link front, long arms, V8, cage, duct tape, cable ties and 35's

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Crate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice on the springs Crate. Now I can spend the extra money on some new shocks, thinking tough dog adjustables and some 30mm spring spacers to lift the saggy front a little.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you put the spacers in then you will may also need to alter a few other things too..(brake lines etc )...maybe someone else here can advise you better..wait and see what your new shocks do to the height difference...check your brake bias bracket on the back as I learnt here...easy to make your own .....I think you are betterto get someone to assess your suspension re the sag so that you are not chasing your tail and having to return to things etc
    the one thing wrong with middle age ...is knowing you will grow out of it !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to menace 2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion there is many better options than the tough dog adjustable's, from the more budget range to suit a 2" lift I would be using something from OME or EFS, they have a better reputation than Tough Dog.

To go up a level in quality (and price) a bit I would consider Radflo emulsion shocks.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Crate For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th July 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast