Thread: EGT Gauge Install - wiring help

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EGT Gauge Install - wiring help

I've just bought an auber EGT gauge. Planning to install it this weekend, and am thinking of splicing into the cigarette lighter 12v source for power. Is it as simple as that, or do I need to add in another fuse or anything like that?

I don't mind getting in and having a go, but not too sure on these finer points of wiring

Thinking I'll try to fit the gauge itself down in the same area too - unless anyone has better ideas?

Cheers!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Newtz For This Useful Post:

LEFariss (4th May 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fited three gauges in my gu and I got the piller pod from 4x4 concept. I put a fuse in just to be sure but it is very easy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used one of these.
    http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/add-a-circuit
    Quick and easy and no cutting and joining wires
    R
    2010 crd auto, snorkel, BFG ATs and nads underway

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wang For This Useful Post:

Sherro (13th July 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking of probably putting the gauge in the middle compartment where the nav system is on the high end models. Then I can close the lid and hide it away at night. That being the case, I'll probably grab power from the stereo. My quick look revealed a bout 15 wires going into the stereo though.. any tips on which one is 12v!?

Unfortunately auber sent me the wrong sensor fitting, so now I need to wait for them to send the correct one

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    might want to wire it through the dimmer as well
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so apparently Auber didn't send me the wrong sensor fitting.. I just measured wrong. Unfortunately, seems the place in my exhaust is at least an M12 fitting which they don't sell.

Not sure i'll need to go through the dimmer since I could just close the lid on it at night if it is too bright

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Newtz, I've just installed one myself. Maybe my story will help.

Situation:

The threaded port for the EGT probe in my exhaust system was 1/4 NPT, the EGT probe was 1/8 NPT.
    Wiring didn't reach anywhere near where I needed and the rubber bung through the firewall was a total b!t^h to get through.
    I don't have a wiring diagram to explain the colours of the wires going to the internal fuse block connectors on the back, nor did they match the locations of the fuses on the front, nor did I have the patience to follow them back to their sources!

Actions:

Went to the local PIRTEK shop and got a reducing bush for the EGT probe.
    Soldered extension wires of same colouring and heat shrunk the connections.
    Taped the relevant wiring to the end of a screwdriver and pushed it through the rubber bung, then routed it through the engine bay.
    Used the Narva ADD A CIRCUIT connectors, used by WANG, such a great help and prevented me pulling the fuse block and dash apart to find the wiring paths.

NOTE:

I had to drill a port into the Turbo Heat Shield to run the EGT probe wiring.

I wired into the:

Park lamps - to reduce the illumination intensity when the headlights go on.
    Meter circuit - to turn the gauges on when the ignition is turned to ON. (same circuit for the dash cluster)
    Batt Instruments - for the constant power source to save my presets on the gauges.
    Fuse block body negative - beside accelerator pedal, behind the kick panel, to ground the whole assembly.

Hope that helps. By the by, I recommend you solder your connections if they aren't a crimp or plug type, it will save you intermittent problems down the track. Just be sure to cover them properly so they don't short on anything.

Cheers,

Lexx
    2004 GU ST, ZD30 DDTi.

Mods so far - EGT & Boost Gauges in Pillar Pod, NADS, upgraded inter-cooler, 2 in suspension lift, 33 in tyres, steel bullbar, spot lights.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lexx For This Useful Post:

Newtz (3rd August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    might want to wire it through the dimmer as well
    Doing 3 x VDO hookup in GU IV ST and seeking advice. For gauge face illumination thru dimmer, do I remove the dimmer to pick up pwr curcuit (where) and if so how is dimmer removed. Thanks

Problem Resolved, thanks to Yendor (post - http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...hes-in-2012-GU
    Post dates back a bit but did it for me. Have been seeking advice for 3xVDO gauges hook up to utilize dimmer (variation) illumination control. Did some more goggling and found the post. Worked well Thanks heaps to you Yendor and will connect the three gauge globes up in parallel.
    Last edited by Bidja; 22nd August 2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Question Answered
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job