Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Steering wheel audio controls install

Hi all,
    First post here, long time reader/patrol4x4 member.
    My names Cam I'm 28, live in Longford Vic, owned 4xGQ's and on my first GU (had the patrol bug for many years now). Just bought a 2012 GU8 50th anniversary and already started with the mods.
    I've already posted this thread on patrol4x4 however I thought it could be helpful to post here for anyone that may be able to contribute.
    Ok so I've started fitting audio controls to my steering wheel, I ordered the switch through Nissan which is now installed on my steering wheel and I'm now in the process of getting it wired up.
    After removing my arirbag to investigate what wiring I have already installed and what I don't, I've sort of come to a holt in finding information. I don't have anything to compare to, that has had audio controls installed from factory and Nissan spare parts have only been able to provide limited information.
    The wiring loom Coming from my clock spring/ contact reel has more wires than are needed to run cruise buttons, horn and airbag.
    The information I need to find out is,

1 Is the clock spring/ contractor reel different between the models with steering controls and the models that don't? Or is it only a patch lead between steering wheel control switch and clock spring/ contractor reel that needs to be sourced?

2 A wiring diagram showing where the extra wires in the clock spring/contractor reel run and what they are for.

Any info would be much appreciated,
    Cam

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im interested as well. I was thinking of doing the same to mine. Would be good to see some photos.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed airbag on mine (05) to have a look, yes spiral cable/clock spring/contact reel has more wires than needed.
    However the cable from spiral cable is not there neither is the cabling on the other side leading to stereo. Just empty sockets at the back of it (Nissan standard double DIN CD/cassette/radio unit) no harness tucked away anywhere out of sight in its vicinity so I'm assuming they're not there. I didn't check under the steering wheel if the harness continues from clock spring/spiral cable towards the stereo somewhere.

I had a hunt on older FAST (Nissan parts system) but failed to locate anything like spare harnesses to do the required job. Did locate buttons/controls interfaces but not cables.

Which leads me to believe that probably the fastest way is to make your own harness and just get Nissan wiring plugs/terminals.

I would locate the free ones on the other side of the steering wheel spiral cable if there and use make own patch cable from buttons to stereo as needed.

I only have wiring diagram for versions up to 06 models so I'm unsure how it is done on CrD versions.

Cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks to help from forum members and some wiring diagrams I'm slowly getting to the bottom of it.

I can say that a patch lead needs to be sourced that runs from clock spring plug to cruise switch and audio controls, as they both share the same plug from the clock spring. The extra wires and plug could be added to existing plug.
    I have spent some time with Nissan dealers and this patch lead basically doesn't exist.
    They dont even seem to be able to supply a replacement lead for cruise control switch to clock spring.

Next ill be investigating on the other side of the clock spring to see if the wires are there and if they run to head unit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Leary393 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th July 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you go with this, although I assume by the number of posts I'm not going to get a response any time soon but it's worth a try.

Cheers,
    Paul

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pspeirs View Post
    How did you go with this, although I assume by the number of posts I'm not going to get a response any time soon but it's worth a try.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Paul, the GUIV and onwards use a different clock spring for the cruise and radio controls. I have a clock spring and radio button control here that Im yet to fit in my Patrol. Still yet to fit the cruise control too, but some grafting will be needed maybe to make it work. I had to graft a GUIV clock spring into my GUII as I fitted a GUIV leather steering wheel that already had the cruise buttons on it and the clock springs where physically different, also the wiring. One day I'll fit it up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

jack (19th June 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I've seen some docco on using Maxima 02/03 steering wheel buttons which are the same style as what I have on the GU7/8 (Will find out for sure on Friday) and it appears from various posts that the cabling is available in the steering column. Nice leather steering wheel might be nice too :-) Its difficult finding reliable information and I'd rather use standard cabling that go all out butchering it. I understand that the controls will work with the Android head unit, being able to take the 2 wire and gnd input. Will keep poking around I guess, but I didn't think the Patrol even came out with the radio buttons.

Cheers,
    Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pspeirs For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th July 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've embarked on fitting steering wheel audio buttons to my GU III.
    I sourced a button module from Niss4x4 in Brooklyn, Vic late last year from a later model GU with the intention of upgrading the stereo.

Now I have recently completed the stereo upgrade with a Kenwood double din head unit, I just last week started to decipher the wiring of the button module and clock spring.

The good news is that the button module works when wired directly to the head unit audio control input. I was able to program and successfully test the functionality of all steering wheel buttons.
    Next step is to work out the input wires to the clock spring and the output wires and where they run to so I can splice the head unit control to them.

I already know there are enough wires in the clock spring for it to work and that I will have to cut the factory plug off (behind the steering wheel horn that goes into the clock spring) and wire another plug that I can connect in the new audio control buttons and existing cruise control buttons to.

The button modules are the same across multiple Nissan models from what I have researched, but many of them we didn't get in Australia;
    2010 Nissan Patrol Ti
    2001–2003 Nissan Maxima
    2003 Infinity Q45
    2003 Nissan Cima F50
    2002–2004 Nissan Altima
    1999–2004 Nissan Gloria/Cedric (Y34)
    2003?–2005? Nissan Elgrand E51

Have a read of this document that was created by someone with the alias Ghosty on 4x4earth.com.au about "How to wire up your steering wheel radio / cruise controls for a GU Patrol"
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d09e4b0...U%20Patrol.pdf
    Last edited by Cremulator; 10th November 2019 at 04:57 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th July 2019), mudski (28th June 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get the cabling for the steering wheel buttons, or did yours come with the cable attached?

Cheers,
    Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pspeirs View Post
    Where did you get the cabling for the steering wheel buttons, or did yours come with the cable attached?

Cheers,
    Paul
    When I went along to the wreckers I specified that I wanted the cable from the audio buttons included.
    Then also haggled on the price too

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast