OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Hub noise after changing from 4x4...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hub noise after changing from 4x4...

Been noticing a noise.
    So, here are some symptoms:

When I switch into 4 wheel drive and go I don't notice much. But when I switch back into two wheel a grinding sound will start up - very fast sound, like a baseball card in a bike's spokes. Reversing and backing up will make this noise go away.

I read the forums about this and it sounds like the hub. The outside of the car says 'auto-locking hub'. Sounds like this is a common problem. Even my description of the noise is common - I found another thread where I guy described it the same way: "suddenly a noise exactly like a kid holding a stick on the spokes of his bike." (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...o+locking+hubs)

When the noise first started it would only make a noise after switching back into two wheel drive. But now I have noticed a bit of a noise - though not the same one, when going slow in 4 wheel drive. I don't know if it is there when going fast though for there are too many other noises. I did go and buy a bunch of small screws and washers and, after drilling little holes, I systematically fastened every My patrol is more like a dirty old farm truck so I suspect the grease has long since departed.

I assume it started out not fully disengaging and has now progressed to not fully engaging.

I notice nothing when in 2 wheel drive (after reversing, of course).

I have looked at the manual and read this forum. I am researching what I need to do. Perhaps it just needs a cleaning and a lubrication (for this car is very old and was not maintained at all until I bought it).

Is this an easy job - to at least take it off and give the hub an inspection?

P.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, yes the hub is simple to remove and relatively self explanatory to then strip down. Give it a clean up and you should be ale to figure out its function and that will let you see which piece is making the noise.

Pack with grease a d refit assuming it is serviceable.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading about people manually locking the hub with a wheel brace. Maybe I am missing something; but there does not seem to be anything to attach any tool to on the outside of the hub (the hub on my machine looks like this:

When I get a chance to pull them off I'll snap a few pictures - these may have been other for 20 years...

MT
    Last edited by modustollens; 24th June 2014 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What country are you in? Auto hubs in Australia don't look like your pic. They have a hex bolt head in the centre the same size as a wheel nut and they are always set to auto but you can manually set them to Lock.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same thing happen to me recently. Changed from 2 to 4wd on the fly as I hit a gravel road. Changed back to 2wd when I hit the black top again and after about five minutes heard a humming from the front end. Turned out the hubs were still engaged...stopped...reversed...heard the two clicks...problem solved.

Just hoping you don't damage the hubs if they remain engaged.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is the auto hub we have on the GQ and GU in aus

ImageUploadedByMotorculture1403565667.440003.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My machine is in Kazakhstan. From stickers on the inside of the frame it looks like it may have spent some time in Germany. Other than that I have no idea of its pedigree.

Maybe in a few days I can pull it off and take a look.

Lots of people write about the grease and how it is important not to put too much on. How do I know when I have the correct amount?

MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by modustollens View Post
    My machine is in Kazakhstan. From stickers on the inside of the frame it looks like it may have spent some time in Germany. Other than that I have no idea of its pedigree.

Maybe in a few days I can pull it off and take a look.

Lots of people write about the grease and how it is important not to put too much on. How do I know when I have the correct amount?

MT
    Makes sure everything has grease on it but don't pack the hub with grease or it has no room to function.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I take out the bolts will it slide off easily or will it need to be pried off? Are the pieces locked in place or is there a danger of all the pieces spilling out onto the ground?

As for cleaning - is there a preferred method?

MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should come off in a single piece. Just give it a tap with a mallet and it should come off.

Degreaser spray and function is the go