User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimberley Trip

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose yo can tell it's me hubby. On here. Out and about and he a got the iPod

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 8,039 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made it to Alice Springs today, another big day doing about 690km.
    Heading up the Tanami Hwy tomorrow and will be bush camping for the next few days, much better than caravan parks.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Avo (23rd June 2014), BigRAWesty (30th June 2014), Cuppa (22nd June 2014), gaddy (23rd June 2014), mudnut (23rd June 2014), MudRunnerTD (22nd June 2014), Winnie (23rd June 2014), Woof (23rd June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You lucky bugger. Mum and Dad did that trip a couple of years ago.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

TPC (29th June 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL great read, hope to get there soon. Save travels
    2004 4.2TD ST, Berrima Diesel Injector Tuned, Viper 3" SS exhaust, Cross Country Ultimate Intercooler, Solvaris sound proofing, DigOptions GPS/MMU, 220mm Roo Lights, PIONEER TS-D1602R 6.5" x 4 speakers, Autocar EGT&Boost gauges, Brown Davis 80L Aux, Icom 440, Alloy drawers and cargo barrier, 2" Amanda Extreme / Dobson / PolyAir lift, CSA mags with Toyo ATII tyres, Rhino Pioneer roof rack now with brackets, Performance 4x4 16g Large.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HuskyInAuz For This Useful Post:

TPC (29th June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been on the road for over a week now and driven over 3000km and finally reached Kununurra.

After leaving Alice we started on the Tanami, I had heard reports that it was a well maintained track but they were all lies, the road is 1050km long and 750km of that is corrugated.
    The features you see along the way are corrugations, termite mounds, corrugations, abandoned cars, corrugations, litter and road trains.
    When the road trains come along you just pull over and wait for them to pass and the dust to settle.
    Fuelled up at a little aboriginal settlement called Yuendumu as I did not have enough to get to halls creek and was surprised to find the fuel was cheaper than Alice.
    We made it half way to Renehans Bore to camp, was great camping away from everybody, we were treated to a great sunset and the stars were fantastic.
    The next day we continued along the track and found corrugations could get worse than what we had already experienced.
    To be continued...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Avo (29th June 2014), Cuppa (29th June 2014), FNQGU (28th November 2015), gaddy (30th June 2014), jack (30th June 2014), Woof (29th June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forth night we camped at Wolfe Creek, the track in was very corrugated but by this time we were very used to that.
    We arrived late arvo and found a good camp site for two campers but there were lots already there, we thought at the time that it was good we arrived in daylight as it would be difficult to find spots in the dark but nobody would be silly enough to arrive that late but we were wrong, there were about 15 cars arrive in the dark and had a hard time finding space to camp.
    The long drop at the camp ground was probably the most disgusting any ware (so my missis said, I did not use it).
    The crater was a short walk to view and was quite impressive, a very big hole.
    Just before we left a guy came up to us and asked if we had any spare diesel as he had lost three jerry cans along the Tanami and did not have enough to make it to Halls creek, we did not have jerrys but fortunately he found someone with a spare to get him through.

The next day we got off the Tanami and went into Halls Creek for some fuel and supplies, they had a great supermarket, very well stocked.
    We went up the Duncan for a bit of site seeing, Palm Springs is well worth a look.

To be continued...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (29th June 2014), gaddy (30th June 2014), jack (30th June 2014), mudnut (30th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well not quite ..... but come on , you know the rules!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

cgm (30th June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post

Well not quite ..... but come on , you know the rules!
    I know, but I have already taken about 500 photos and have to sort them, will put some up tomorrow.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After Halls Creek we went to the Bungles, stayed at the caravan park the first night as the girls wanted amenities.
    The toilets and showers were interesting, each cubicle had a unisex toilet and shower but no roof, quiet an experience showering with a view of the stars.
    I was quite surprised that I had phone coverage there but internet was hit and miss.
    The following morning we headed into the Bungles to stay in the park, we had been told by numerous people that the track in was very rough but after the Tanami it seemed smooth, we had about 10 creek crossings with a couple being reasonably deep but that just made it more interesting, we came across a father and son riding their motorbikes in that had a bit of trouble with one of the bikes after a deep creek crossing but they got it going again and passed us but soon after we saw them again as the lad had come off his bike, stopped to check he was alright but only his pride was hurt.

We set ourselves up at Kurrajong campsite for the next 3 nights, was great to stay in one place for 3 nights after moving daily for the past 5, we needed a break after driving over 3000km over the past 6 days.
    Bungle Bungle is definitely worth a visit as long as you like bush camping and do not mind the dust.
    The highlights are cathedral gorge, a relatively easy 1 hr walk up a gorge that ends in a magnificent chamber with a pool in the middle and Echidna Chasm, a walk through a narrow gap between cliff faces that seems to go on for ever, we made sure we were there around mid day when the sunlight light up the walls, this was the highlight of the trip so far.
    We met a nice young family at one of the lookouts that had been on the road for 7 months of a 10 month trip and were home schooling the kids along the way, what better schooling could you get than seeing Australia, the dad was taking up a position of Ranger on Fraser Island after their trip so they will still be in paradise, I am still green with envy.
    The disappointments were the bloody cane toads were everyware and the morons that think the 50kph speed limit is too slow so they are sliding around corners risking their lives and the lives of other road users, they need to slow down and see the sights and stay alive, the day before we arrived there was a Jackaroo that rolled going around a bend to fast, it was still there when we went past and there was no reason for the accident, just carelessness.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

HuskyInAuz (30th June 2014), jack (30th June 2014), MEGOMONSTER (30th June 2014), mudnut (30th June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next leg of our journey has brought us to Kununurra, we are staying at Kimberleyland caravan park for 3 nights.
    I was a bit disappointed when I booked in and they told me that our sights were not next to each other, I had booked the sights in February to make sure we got two lake side sites together but they made a business decision when someone on one of the sites said they wanted to stay for a month that they would move one of our bookings, it may have been the right decision financially but it was not a good moral decision, normally I would have told them to stick their caravan park and asked for my money back but we really wanted to stay here so I bit my tongue.
    After I set up I was glad I decided to stay s it is great, big grassy sites and we even have fresh water crocks in the lake 10 meters in front of our camper.

I am up to date with the trip now, will keep updating and load some photos soon.

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

93patrol (13th July 2014), Avo (30th June 2014), cgm (30th June 2014), Clunk (20th July 2014), DX grunt (30th June 2014), gaddy (30th June 2014), HuskyInAuz (30th June 2014), jack (30th June 2014), macca (30th June 2014), MEGOMONSTER (30th June 2014), mudnut (30th June 2014)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast