Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Kimberley Trip

Thanks
    Thanked 8,037 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 35 & 36 Fitzroy Crossing and Kununurra.

After getting off the plane at Derby we did a quick shop and lunch before heading to Fitzroy Crossing to do a cruise in Gieki Gorge, we got to Fitzroy Crossing at 2.30pm and were told the last cruise was at 3pm so a mad rush to make it with minutes to spare. The cruise was good but not as good as the Chamberlain Gorge cruise we had done, plenty of fresh water crocodiles.
    After the cruise we headed back to Fitzroy Crossing and set up at Fitzroy Lodge Caravan Park, I would recommend this park as it is quiet and has large grassy sites, Wallaby's every ware and they have a bar and restaurant with good meals at reasonable prices.
    From here we were heading to Katherine via an overnight stop at Kununurra where we had stayed a few weeks earlier.
    Our original plan was to head home via the Tanami but changed our minds as it was a boring corrugated rd so thought it would be better heading over to NT to see more sites, meant driving an extra 1000km.

A few photos from Gieki Gorge.

IMG_2951.JPGIMG_2981.JPG

IMG_2921.JPGIMG_2983.JPG

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (7th August 2014), gaddy (7th August 2014), gregs (17th August 2015), jack (8th August 2014), Woof (7th August 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great trip report mate definately on my bucket list. And some really awesome photos

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 93patrol For This Useful Post:

TPC (7th August 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Days 37 to 40, Katherine, Mataranka and Tennant Creek.

At Katherine we set up at Shady Lane Caravan Park which is a few km out of town on the Gorge Rd, found it to be a nice and quiet caravan park except for the d#$khead in the big motorhome who had his noisy aircon running all night. My misses lived in Katherine for a couple of years in the 70's so she was interested in seeing how things had changed.
    We did a short walk in Katherine Gorge, I was amazed at all the bats hanging from the trees in the gorge. I would have liked to have hired a canoe and paddle up the gorge but time did not allow for it.
    From here we headed short distance to Mataranka Homestead Tourist Park, as soon as we were set up we headed for Bitter Springs for a swim in the crystal clear thermal spring, I took my snorkelling gear and tried taking some underwater photos with mixed results. We then went back to swim in another thermal spring next to the park.
    After all the swimming we did not feel like cooking so we had dinner at the Mataranka Homestead Pub and enjoyed a show put on by Garry Booth, a singer, guitarist, didgeridoo player and there was a whip cracker while he had a break. Really enjoyed this place and would recommend it to others, pity I could not stay longer.
    Next up was Tennant Creek and we stayed at the Outback Caravan Park, I did not enjoy this place, it was very noisy with drunks yelling and cars roaring up and down the streets, it is a town with lots of problems. We watched a show in the caravan park by a bush poet who also does bush tucker that was entertaining.

Photos from Katherine.

IMG_3098.JPGKatherine Gorge.jpg

IMG_3021.JPGBat in flight2.jpgBat in flight3.jpg

Bitter Springs

DSC00536.JPGDSC00502.JPG

DSC00490.JPGDSC00470.JPG

Mataranka Homestead Pub
    Garry Booth.jpgIMG_0220.JPG

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Bob (10th August 2014), Cuppa (8th August 2014), gaddy (8th August 2014), gregs (17th August 2015), jack (8th August 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounded like an awesome trip, I will be doing the same in April next year and can't wait to start exploring. Thanks for sharing your experience with us all.
    2005 GU IV 3L ST-S Mods: 3in Zorst, chipped, Autron egt, boost and dual voltage gauges, pillar pod, dual battery, IPF round spoties, Nissan alloy Bullbar.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Badball For This Useful Post:

TPC (8th August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really enjoyed reading about your trip and the pics really add another dimension, thanks for posting so we could share.
    Cheers
    Macca

11. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

TPC (8th August 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Days 41 to 44. Alice Springs, Coober Pedy and Home.

After escaping winter for almost 6 weeks it was time to head back towards home and the cold.
    Had a look at Devils Marbles on the way through to Alice, we were staying 3 nights at Alice and decided to stay in a cabin as we were sick of setting up the camper, the next morning we were glad we did as it got down to 0 deg, I was so tempted to turn around and head back north where it is warm.
    While in Alice we visited the Desert Park and watched the flying bird presentation, this was quiet impressive. I also visited the school of the air for a tour and the girls got in some retail therapy in the mall.
    The next day we headed up the Ross Hwy and had a look at Emily and Jessie Gaps, Corroboree Rock and took a rough track to a water hole I have forgotten the name of, this would have been far more impressive if the creek was flowing.
    Next stop was Coober Pedy and we again decided to be lazy and not set up the camper and booked into the Desert View underground apartments, they are a bit dated and could do with a bit of maintenance but they were comfortable and very spacious and good value and I would use them again. We were just doing an overnighter here and head off early the next morning to drive the 880 km home, I have done this drive from Coober Pedy many times but am starting to find the distance is pushing my limits for one day, probably should have taken the Oodnadatta Track and split it into 2 or 3 days.

A few photos from Alice and along the way.

IMG_3196.jpgIMG_3181.jpgIMG_3190.jpg

Owl.jpgIMG_3228.jpgIMG_3264.jpgIMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3322.jpgIMG_3346.jpgIMG_3351.jpgIMG_3391.jpg

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Avo (11th August 2014), Bob (10th August 2014), Cuppa (10th August 2014), gaddy (10th August 2014), gregs (17th August 2015), jack (10th August 2014), macca (10th August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again.I reckon the water hole you couldn’t recall the name of might have been Trephina Gorge? (4th last photo).
    Surprised to see only the single figure on the hill at Aileron. When we were there two other figures (Woman & kid IIRC ) had been made & we were led to believe they would be joining Anmatjere Man up there on the hill.
    FWIW I reckon 880kms in a day is a massive effort. I’d find half that about my I’d preferred maximum!
    Any dreamings emerging of what the next trip will be yet?

Your choice of accommodation in Alice & Coober Pedy confirms my belief that a camper trailer is not for me. Too much effort which becomes an unwanted chore after the first few weeks. Packing up my rooftop tent is like that, mainly because it’s mounted with too small a gap between the tent base & top of the pod. The final part of securing the cover takes longer than all the rest of packing up together & is a real PIA. Note to self, must raise tent a couple of inches to get us by until ‘towable bedroom’ is built. (Neither of which will happen prior to the new shed going up & being fitted out, so I’ll just keep on whinging about what a pain packing away is)!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

TPC (10th August 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The woman, kid and monitor are at Aileron but not up the hill.
    IMG_3197a.jpg

I am hoping my next big trip will be Cape York in 2017 but still deciding on that, will no doubt do lots of 2 week trips before that, if I had my choice I would be back on the road tomorrow.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Avo (11th August 2014), Cuppa (11th August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m pleased that the bloke is still on his own up there on the hill, I reckon he looks more impressive alone. Not a bad view when standing at his feet either.

Once you get that red dirt under your skin & experience the freedom of an on the road lifestyle it’s impossible to see it as a ‘been there done that’ one off experience, at least that’s how I’ve found it. If we could have done we would have been more than happy to have stayed ‘out there’. Only practicalities & finances drew us back home. It is surprising how quickly ‘home life’ sucks you back in. I strive hard to keep the ‘attraction’ of being on the road at the top of my thinking. Being able to share trips like yours help greatly.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 12th August 2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678