User Tag List

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: RB30 Facts, Figures and Helpful Hints

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, steel bar, with winch, and long range fuel tank too. Cargo barrier, water tank, fridge and slide etc etc etc, probably not the lightest she's ever been.

I'm still thinking a good dyno tune couldn't hurt though, would love to get the consumption under 20 per hundred again.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I take all of the recovery gear out for normal use as well. It makes a big difference, especially having to turn out onto our road. It gets to be a bit of squeak time with log trucks bowling down the hill at us. I only have the alloy bar with a 10mm steel winch cradle and a cheap Aldi winch..
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (30th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking for a while I should chuck her on a weighbridge just for curiosity's sake. Do you know what yours weighs?
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Over 2200 at a guess. It is pretty close to stock.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon I'll weigh mine next week and see, be interesting if nothing else.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick bit of info for the thread, I recently changed my fan, power steering and air con belts as the old ones were looking worn. Maybe everyone else with an RB30 already knows this, but just in case, here's what I learned.

The specs / part no. I have been told are 13A0890 belts for both power steering and air con, and for some RB30 fan belts while others are 13A0875. Mine is the 13A0875. I couldn't find out any way of identifying which it is without the old belt, but the 13A0890 was clearly too long when I tried fitting it to my car, it had almost no more adjustment after installation, let alone after it would have relaxed somewhat.

After changing the belts I had a horrible whine coming from the front of the motor. I repeatedly tried changing tension on the belts with no change. Changed the worn air con tensioner pulley bearing, and still no change. After isolating the noise to the fan belt, I suspected the replacement belt may be to blame so I bought another brand of belt and changed it over and... FIXED!

The other belt was the right size but still made a terrible noise. I now have Gates brand V belts on all three and it is quieter than before the belt change.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrol'n For This Useful Post:

mudnut (30th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    A quick bit of info for the thread, I recently changed my fan, power steering and air con belts as the old ones were looking worn. Maybe everyone else with an RB30 already knows this, but just in case, here's what I learned.

The specs / part no. I have been told are 13A0890 belts for both power steering and air con, and for some RB30 fan belts while others are 13A0875. Mine is the 13A0875. I couldn't find out any way of identifying which it is without the old belt, but the 13A0890 was clearly too long when I tried fitting it to my car, it had almost no more adjustment after installation, let alone after it would have relaxed somewhat.

After changing the belts I had a horrible whine coming from the front of the motor. I repeatedly tried changing tension on the belts with no change. Changed the worn air con tensioner pulley bearing, and still no change. After isolating the noise to the fan belt, I suspected the replacement belt may be to blame so I bought another brand of belt and changed it over and... FIXED!

The other belt was the right size but still made a terrible noise. I now have Gates brand V belts on all three and it is quieter than before the belt change.
    Yeah, it may have something to do with nylon reinforcement material rubbing on the pulley groove edges. Some belts are better than the others.
    I reckon something to do with V belt angle not properly matching the pulley groove angle & causing excess friction.
    As you may remember, I upgraded the alternator using a EF Falcon alternator, but the belt was squeaking on and off. Even though I aligned the alternator pulley properly with the crank pulley & the tensioner pulley, it still keep doing that. As in your case, I reckon it's the pulley.
    When it squeaks(mostly in winter), I just rub a tiny bit of grease on the side of the belt and the noise goes away. Not sure it's the right thing to do, but it does help. I keep the old spare one(which is still good) just in case it snaps.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    I agree with Dom, it must be really well tuned!

Mine is actually running really nicely now, but at last fill it used about 22 litres per hundred...

Mind you, it has a highish rhino roof rack, something like 2 inches of lift... 32 inch aggressive AT tyres etc, but I still think it could do with a damn good tuneup based on those fuel figures
    How did you go with your carby?
    Did you try to tune it yourself or did you take it back to the guy who rebuilt it?
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Be wary of using ordinary grease on the rubber belt as it will cause the surface it coats to disintegrate. I now use a food-grade grease to coat the lip inside hoses before fitting them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (30th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Be wary of using ordinary grease on the rubber belt as it will cause the surface it coats to disintegrate. I now use a food-grade grease to coat the lip inside hoses before fitting them.
    Yeah mate. I'v heard that. That's why I keep the other one ready at the back of the vehicle all the time.

BTW, what is food grade grease? Vaseline? Or glycerine?
    I have little bottle of vaseline somewhere.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast