Thread: easy way of stripping tyres

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

easy way of stripping tyres

Gday guys
    Im about to change the rims on the maverick and ive managed to get a set of 4 rims with some worn out silverstone tyres. I plan on keeping the mtz's I have so ill have to get them off the current rims and the silverstones off the new rims. Sounds like most tyre shops want to charge a heap to strip and fit all 4. Have you guys got any good tips stripping tyres off rims? Otherwise ill have to pay double to strip both sets of rims ect
    Cheers
    1989 Ford Maverick: TB42s Carby, Snorkel, 3" king spring suspension lift, 2" body lift, aftermarket extractors, 33x12.5 mickey t MTZ's, 2.5: Sports Exhaust

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might help ?

Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Break the bead with a bead breaker or bottle jack under the tow bar etc. You will need 2 X tyre levers and a few beers for the sweat that no doubt will ensue from doing 4 tyres.

Use a ratchet strap around the rim when putting them back on and use lots of dish washing detergent to put them back on and your tyre levers again. Go grab the detergent from under the kitchen sink so when your Ms does the dishes next time she won't have any :-(

Edit: Ok just watched the video same same as what I said but use the ratchet strap on the tread when putting it back on
    Last edited by lucus30; 12th June 2014 at 02:13 PM.
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve View Post
    Gday guys Im about to change the rims on the maverick and ive managed to get a set of 4 rims with some worn out silverstone tyres. I plan on keeping the mtz's I have so ill have to get them off the current rims and the silverstones off the new rims. Sounds like most tyre shops want to charge a heap to strip and fit all 4. Have you guys got any good tips stripping tyres off rims? Otherwise ill have to pay double to strip both sets of rims ect Cheers
    What area are you in ??? It shouldn't cost more than 10 - 15$ to fit and balance a tyre ( usually about $10 if you have to remove and old tyre and fit a new one)

The above posts should be fine if your going to attempt it at home. Remember to deflate the tyre and leave the valve out first and also leave the valve out when re seating the tyre coz it helps by letting the air go in faster

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post

What area are you in ??? It shouldn't cost more than 10 - 15$ to fit and balance a tyre ( usually about $10 if you have to remove and old tyre and fit a new one)

The above posts should be fine if your going to attempt it at home. Remember to deflate the tyre and leave the valve out first and also leave the valve out when re seating the tyre coz it helps by letting the air go in faster
    Im in redlands in se brisbane. One mobtold me 30 a corner and another mob rekoned 50 a corner. Just seems a bit steep for like 2 mins work
    1989 Ford Maverick: TB42s Carby, Snorkel, 3" king spring suspension lift, 2" body lift, aftermarket extractors, 33x12.5 mickey t MTZ's, 2.5: Sports Exhaust

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 a corner is the normal
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Grahams at capalaba , I got two tyres removed from rims and two second handies put on my dump trailer for about $60 including the tyres , and a balance
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Express tyres at the BP servo tingalpa have always been good to me. $100 for 4 strip and fits and balance and a wheel alignment.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do em at my dads place with 3 - 4 pry bars, he also made this home made style press to get em started. Much easier with two people but you want to hold tension with one or two bars and work the lip on bit by bit. Its you against the tyre and it can be a c!nt of a job haha be wary of the bars. My mate ronnie wasnt careful and when the bar let go he copped it to cheek bone, sure it didnt feel good.. another tip is use a rubber mallet and also a brush, put soapy water around the rim before and after. Any bubbles will show parts that havent seated correctly, hit with mallet till the bubbles are gone.
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 15th June 2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Language

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your gonna diy with levers do your self a favour and get a 3rd lever makes life so much easier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast