Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SD33 Black smoke issue

Hi everyone,
    Just picked up a g60 with MQ patrol running gear, with a na sd33 motor. Car seems to run well but at 3/4 throttle blows large plumes of black smoke. Have had a look around on the net and see people mention either edic or injector pump issues may cause this? Edic looks to have been removed and is now cable operated but looks to only have 2 settings, either in the middle to run or all the way back to shut off the car, thought there should be a forward setting for warm up but lever arm doesn't move any further?? Will have a go at bleeding the fuel system as it looks to have a new plastic filter installed in the fuel line, any other ideas where to start looking? Have a mate who might have another sd33 injector pump.
    Cheers
    Damo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Dash,
    Hop onto the introductions page and set down a bit about yourself. As is we don't even know where you are.
    With a bit of personal info I'm sure you'll get a response.
    'Fraid I can't help as I don't know the engine but I'd be a bit surprised if a fuel bleed fixed a black smoke problem but as I say, don't know,
    Luck
    Col

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The first Patrol I owned was in TSV and it was an ex Shire Council trayback with that engine in it. . It used to blow a bit of black underway on the highway. Did Oil change and filters, Replaced Fuel and Air Filters and set the tappets. It was a lot better after that if this helps.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he you bought it from have turned up the fuel delivery on the injection pump? Check if the screws are plombed, also check if the air filter is in good condition. If the air filter is blocked of dust the engine will get too littel air to burn the diesel completely