Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iceland - 2.8TD 1992 GR

Hi guys,

Just posted a question about gearbox noises but figured I should also share the ride with you all too, right? My first Patrol, so this is all a learning process but i'm loving every second!

So she's a 1992 2.8TD GR modified for 44" tyres but currently sitting on 40's. Tyres of this size are pretty common on modified's over here as they enable you to air down and float over the snow on winter mountain tracks.
    Compressor on boards as well as an inflation/deflation system to allow tyre pressure changes on the go. Air locker on the front diff, standard lock on the back. Two auxilliary tanks and pumps. Repainted by the previous owner about 6 years ago. He did a fantastic job and it still looks brand new (when clean) but unfortunately i'm beginning to see it needs some serious inner sill work doing, which i'm currently shopping around prices for. Also hunting an oil leak and a very slow loss of coolant.

Pic on orange beadlocks is on 44", previous owner.

Cheers,

Alex

1a.jpg1b.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blacksails For This Useful Post:

AB (10th March 2024), BigRAWesty (11th March 2024), Cremulator (10th March 2024), jack (10th March 2024), mudnut (10th March 2024), Touses (10th March 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,342 Times in 3,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would love to be able to mod our Patrols in such a fashion, but the road authorities have limited us to what we can do!
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 468 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I would love to be able to mod our Patrols in such a fashion, but the road authorities have limited us to what we can do!
    Maybe they're just for offroad use over there?
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (11th March 2024)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    Maybe they're just for offroad use over there?
    Nope, road legal. I’ve been driving to work in this one if the weather has gotten bad.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blacksails For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (11th March 2024), BrazilianY60 (11th March 2024), Cremulator (11th March 2024), jack (11th March 2024), mudnut (11th March 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you find the 2.8TD spinning those large diameter wheels? I had this motor in my GQ from new, added a set of Marks 4X4 85% reduction gears and transformed it for high country work in a heavy vehicle. Unfortunately the top speed in 5th low range was 32klm from memory, and it didnt have the torque in high range with 33" tyres for sand driving, so I fixed one problem and generated another one.
    How did you get the clearance on the guards where the mudflaps normally sit - big chop out?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not going anywhere fast, that’s for sure. But it drives alright. Slightly sluggish, but y’know, you’re not going to be trying to race anything in a car like this. The 2.8’s are the most commonly available here so I think that’s why they’re modified. If the 4.2 was a little more common then that’d be preferable I guess.
    The boost comes in a bit earlier and the diff ratios have been changed. I haven’t hit many off road tracks with it yet as I’m sorting stuff out on it first before I disappear into areas where help isn’t so readily available, so can’t really comment on low range driving. On the highway it’ll sit happily at 80km/h at around 2000ish rpm in fifth, with the speedo being pretty accurate still. In regards to fitting those monsters under there, it was all done by the previous, previous owner so I’m not 100% sure how much, but there’s definitely a bunch of chopping involved, yeah.
    Last edited by Blacksails; 11th March 2024 at 08:53 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blacksails For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (11th March 2024), BrazilianY60 (12th March 2024), PeeBee (11th March 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 468 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksails View Post
    Nope, road legal. I’ve been driving to work in this one if the weather has gotten bad.
    You just reminded me of a Netflix Series I saw some time ago called "Trapped". The investigator drove around in a big tire Isuzu, the officer in a big tire Y60 Patrol and the search and rescue ambulance was a big tire Y61 GU4...
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    You just reminded me of a Netflix Series I saw some time ago called "Trapped". The investigator drove around in a big tire Isuzu, the officer in a big tire Y60 Patrol and the search and rescue ambulance was a big tire Y61 GU4...
    Ah, Trapped is fantastic! some wonderful cars in that series.