Thread: Jay see 1997 GU build up

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    How do you validate these numbers? Solar density across Australia varies from 300 - 600w/m2 density from what I understand, and the 1000w/m2 is achieved in outer space and used as lab rating. For max efficiency I work on 600w/m2 and 16% efficiency, simply as a tolerance, as the latest NASA panels are pushing 22% but we are not able to access them, plus the panels are quickly de-rated at temps above 25 degC and the number of hours solar impact perpendicular to the panel. The MPPT controllers certainly assist with the optimisation, I just think the output is a lot less than perceived, hence why my panel area and watt output is high for the 6amp load- intermittent - from the 60L engel.

Happy to stand corrected, but from a marketing perspective, there isn't a marketing guy out there that will sell something based on real numbers, more on the maximum possible, even if its unachievable.
    Dont really go as far as you to validate the numbers, I just measure the panels area in square meters, multiply by 1000, then multiply by .18. So the 120 watt kings one works out to around 120 watts. Then I hook up an MPPT controller, with an cheap inline monitoring device either side. A expensive fluke dmm is placed inline, along with the fluke dc clamp. I connect it to a lithium battery that needs charging, not a near full one.In peak sunlight if the panel is not too hot I get enough amps to suggest the 120 watt claimed output is close.🤪🤪

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickhead For This Useful Post:

MB (21st January 2022), PeeBee (21st January 2022)