Thread: End of gu soon?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of gu soon?

During 2 different conversions recently, it was mentioned that Toyota will cease production of 70 series within next couple of years as they can't (or don't want to) get top safety rating thereby being able to sell to government departments and mining industry. The live front axle being one of main reasons. I would have thought stronger front end would be safer but perhaps on road performance is more important to those who make such decisions.

If this is true, will this spell the end of GU as well?

Has anyone heard more or have more reliable info?
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was reading the only reason 70s were a worthwhile seller for Toyota in last decade due to the biggest customer being the mines. But now with the safety rating gone it's not feasible for them any more.

It was also something to do with them not having crush points that de-rates them in safety.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Runner
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the cockies will be gutted i reckon

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IMO they will continue to produce the GU/GR as they have continued with the D22
    For how long would depend on emission control and safety ratings I would think
    Not all can afford a y62 nor want one, what left then ??
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Realistically the Y61 has already ended... Australia is pretty much the designated "run down" country as Nissan tool down the production lines and stock and go with their world car concept of the Y62.
    Nissan contiue to state that there won't be Diesel Y62 here until the next generation of Y62 (read 4 years or more).
    So, FWIW I agree with 3D, they will sell Y61's here until they won't pass emission/ADR or until the Diesel Y62 turns up (which ever happens first).
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think they are going to switch to the dual cab markets as the navaras are such a big seller and thats what people want now dual cabs, a work car during the week and a family bus on the weekends, the days of the 7 seat 4wd with good space are almost gone i reckon unfortunately

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As long as my arse points to the ground and I have my GU, I see no end.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Avo (13th June 2014), Beni C (20th June 2014), Chubba (19th June 2014), Dave_H (13th June 2014), Hodge (13th June 2014), v8 performances (13th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 93patrol View Post
    i think they are going to switch to the dual cab markets as the navaras are such a big seller and thats what people want now dual cabs, a work car during the week and a family bus on the weekends, the days of the 7 seat 4wd with good space are almost gone i reckon unfortunately
    Nah, can't really agree with that, otherwise they wouldn't have gone down the path of the Y62 but you are on the money with the booming dual cab market.
    Love the Navara's and the BT50/Rangers in our work fleet are bigger than my GU wagon (bull bar to towball and have 50% more grunt while using 20 to 33% less fuel).
    I haven't driven any of the Colorado's but the guys who use them reckon they are excellent
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I was reading the only reason 70s were a worthwhile seller for Toyota in last decade due to the biggest customer being the mines. But now with the safety rating gone it's not feasible for them any more.

It was also something to do with them not having crush points that de-rates them in safety.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Runner
    Yes and Toyota is going to flog the HiLux to the mining industry instead.. All based on safety.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So given the 'inflated' prices of late model 4.2Tdi Y61’s as a result of demand caused by Nissan's failure to replace the motor with another seen as being equally 'desirable' ............ What is your prediction regarding their future prices? Obviously they will drop as the vehicles become older & gain higher mileages, but do you think their prices will remain relatively high, or drop 'overnight' to be on par with other 'comparable' vehicles?

I would predict that as time passes that their lack of 'computer control', & relative ease of fixing out in woop woop will become less attractive as the more mechanically complex, sensor ridden, plug in to a diagnostic machine, faster & more fuel efficient, smaller engined replacements become all that people know.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast