Thread: Limp mode question

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limp mode question

Hey All.

Are there any other factors that cause limp mode. I know that boost that hits 17.9psi will do it, and that the MAF can trigger it if its on the way out, but is there anything else?
    My setup has a catch can (and I've cleaned the MAF as well), dawes valve is set at 16psi. I still get limp mode if I push it hard. Should I be considering getting a new MAF sensor, or lowering the boost a bit further?
    I also have ECU talk and notice that the ICV value drops right down to about 4% when I'm going full throttle. Could this be linked to the limp mode in some way?

Cheers

Ada,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate I've played with my dawes heaps and can get limp mode at 13 psi on a cold engine. At normal operating temperatures anything over 15.5 - 16 can at times trigger limp mode. From what I gather the ecu correlates info from several sensors such as maf, tps and map to decide when to limit fuel. I'm nearly convinced there is a temperature sensor somewhere that is involved too. I'd love to know exactly how the ecu thinks. Hope the gurus answer your questions :-)
    I plan to live forever................going well so far

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you have needle valve fitted? Pre air intake mods to my car I could only get 16psi max boost. But if I had my needle valve wound in too much, giving a faster spool up rate on the turbo, I would hit limp mode. I just had to back off the needle valve a tiny bit and all my issues were gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrod View Post
    Hey All.

Are there any other factors that cause limp mode. I know that boost that hits 17.9psi will do it, and that the MAF can trigger it if its on the way out, but is there anything else?
    My setup has a catch can (and I've cleaned the MAF as well), dawes valve is set at 16psi. I still get limp mode if I push it hard. Should I be considering getting a new MAF sensor, or lowering the boost a bit further?
    I also have ECU talk and notice that the ICV value drops right down to about 4% when I'm going full throttle. Could this be linked to the limp mode in some way?

Cheers

Ada,
    I have my ecu-talk set up all the time I'll see what values I get under different conditions
    My max is 19ish and 10 at 100 kph no limp mode yet, needle valve nearly closed
    Last edited by threedogs; 12th June 2014 at 10:30 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi again just checked the ICV% on my ECU-Talk and it stays around 75% most of the time .
    so there is your problem, Yendor may be able to help you some more
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

7. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

thebrod (12th June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhh bugger. So I guess this means the Injector pump maybe isnt doing so well. Sounds expensive.
    If that is the case, (apart from the IP completeley failing at some stage and leaving me with a patrol that wont go!) could this cause any other damage to the engine?