Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to improve your (cheap) Rooftop Tent

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to improve your (cheap) Rooftop Tent

I bought a new roof top tent of eBay a while ago. It was at the $700 mark. It looks just like the ARBs or Ironmans; I've even checked them out on expos to see if details are different but of course had no chance to set them up or pack them.

We've slept in ours for around 13 weeks by now all added up. Here are some of my DIY improvements:

The main thing is packing it up. The cover is just that little bit too small. OK, I do want to have my bedding all packed up in there for convenience and space. The biggest change was to extend the cover with some decent tarp. Took about a day to do, a sewing machine and a good needle or two.
    DSC07371.jpg

Then the straps which hold the cover (other than the zipper) were always to short so a bit of string first and then a $1 shackle extended those nicely. The shackle lets the other strap slide through better than the string as well.
    DSC07372.jpg

The tie downs on the side (which help to compact the closed tent) were always a pain and started falling apart. Velcro doesn't work that well under a pull neither. I replaced them with the cheapest real tie downs I could get. Works brilliant.
    DSC07369_2.jpg

It's always good to have some lubrication for zippers which are exposed to dust. Not really DIY but keeps things going.
    DSC07370_2.jpg

Last but not least I've put a LED light in the tent. I had a bit left over from the awning and boot LED-job so that was for free. I also had some clear hose lying around which I sanded to make it distribute the light better (LEDs are quite focused). Bit's of cable and a small Anderson plug to finish it off. Total cost $5 for the Anderson. Pro tip: make the cable which runs up from your car long enough to have its lowest point outside your window or else you'll funnel water into your car if it rains.
    DSC07367.jpg

What have YOU done to your roof tent? What experience do you have with your tent? Are there similar issues with the brand tents?
    '93 GQ 4.2l diesel: 3" Koni/King lift, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, 165l tanks, snorkel, roof rack, rooftop tent, CB radio, DIY storage, dual battery setup, & 50l Waeco fridge.
    RIP '95 GQ 4.2l petrol/lpg, RIP '89 Pajero

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flo-w For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (22nd July 2015), cgm (9th June 2014), Figjam (9th June 2014), jack (9th June 2014), jayisbikes (11th August 2014), mudnut (9th June 2014), Stropp (9th June 2014), threedogs (9th June 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Hannibal tent where one half of the ladder is permanently attached to the tent. I drilled a small hole in the ladder and fitted a pad bolt lock so that the ladder can be swung up and stowed out of the way when not required

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Figjam For This Useful Post:

Stropp (9th June 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys do with the cover when the tent is up? Detach it or roll up?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,698 Times in 2,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just roll mine up at the front of the tent as i have a solar panel on the roof rack
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannypatrol View Post
    What do you guys do with the cover when the tent is up? Detach it or roll up?
    I have a Shippshape tent. The cover is held on with bungee cord around mushroom knobs. When the tent is up the cover becomes the awning. Great design. Also has walls that zip onto it to create a full enclosed annexe.

Will be selling it once we’ve bought a Tvan (going to look at one this weekend) & filling the roofspace with fixed solar instead. (Just thought It might be worth putting in a plug now whilst the rooftop tent topic is current).
    Attached Images Attached Images

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all.

I've seen a few roof top tents come onto the market lately and just want your opinion/advice.

As some of you know, I've got an ex Telstra 4.2 TDi, 2005 ute with a pod on the back.

On the roof of my pod, I have a plethora of aerials and 2 x 120w solar panels - all of which nearly occupy the whole roof space.

I was thinking about putting a roof top tent on the roof, on sliders, so that when I pull up in a parking bay (lol), I can just slide it out to the back of the pod to still allow my solar panels to charge.

Will the centre of gravity be too high whilst travelling? Constructive comments/other ideas would be appreciated.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What do they weigh 45KG ?
    you wouldnt want more than 100kg up top including panels IMO
    way too dangerous
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (5th March 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    What do they weigh 45KG ?
    you wouldnt want more than 100kg up top including panels IMO
    way too dangerous
    Not sure what a roof top tent weighs.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 6,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    Hi all.

I've seen a few roof top tents come onto the market lately and just want your opinion/advice.

As some of you know, I've got an ex Telstra 4.2 TDi, 2005 ute with a pod on the back.

On the roof of my pod, I have a plethora of aerials and 2 x 120w solar panels - all of which nearly occupy the whole roof space.

I was thinking about putting a roof top tent on the roof, on sliders, so that when I pull up in a parking bay (lol), I can just slide it out to the back of the pod to still allow my solar panels to charge.

Will the centre of gravity be too high whilst travelling? Constructive comments/other ideas would be appreciated.

Rossco
    I think Cuppa still has his and plans on selling it. Obviously on the same car too so I'm sure you could work something out with him!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running an arb rooftop tent.. have led strips.. usb ports and 12v outlets all wired up inside to an anderson plug which i can plug streight into the solar during the day or the rear of the 4b at night...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mullet_hunter For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast