Thread: will my Oz Tent fit into a full length roof rack

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will my Oz Tent fit into a full length roof rack

gday everyone, I am tring to find out if my RV-5 Oztent would fit on a full length roof rack, the Oztent is 2m long packed and the racks are 2.2m long but the internal measurements are only 2m, what i am trying to find out is will it go in without rubbing on the ends causing damage, I dont wanna go out and buy one if it is going to damage my tent has anyone had this problem before (planning to buy a rack online and cant test fit the tent first), my only other safe alternative is the roof top tent rack or a tradsman's rack, but would much rather have the rail going all the way around, or cut and extend the rack 2 cm, kind regards Streetsy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate.

I have an RV5 with the Peaked front option and side walls. I also have a full length Alloy rack the dimensions you note above. I bought my RV5 second hand but basically brand new and from day one could not get it in the bag. Have no idea how they reckon it all fits!!!

I ended up buying a second bag. ($20) best thing I ever did!!! In the second bag goes the full size ground sheet (shade Clothe) the peaked sides, all the poles, pegs and ropes. Floor mat for the front door.

I leave the fly permanently attached.

So here is the story, the RV5 is just that fraction too long for the rack. But the second bag which is more than half full goes on first then the RV5 goes no top of in and the whole lot is ratchet strapped down.

Perfect setup. Very very pleased with how it packs now and never a drama trying to compress down to fit a small bag.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Streetsy (7th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (7th June 2014), Streetsy (7th June 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MudrunnerTD, I also have the same Oztent Extra's and didnt even think about stacking it on them, ( Lights are on but no body is home) i would prefer to lay it flat, but with the cushion effect made by the groundsheet and walls sounds like it might be the go, thanks again mate and thanks for the time posting pics also