Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Defence Force Members past & present

G'day folks,

I farken leave for a short period of time and the place goes the shite. lol

Anyhow I have decided to start a new Defence Force members thread, seeing that I farked the last one!

Here is the latest info from DVA.

Ladies/Gents

You should all be aware that DVA will be issuing new Gold, White and Pharmaceuticals cards new in June 2014.

The new cards will feature:
    • the title on all of the cards is now, ‘DVA Health Card’;
    • the front of the card has the 100 years centenary of the ANZAC logo on a background of a field of poppies;
    • the DVA security hologram has moved to the front of the card providing greater visibility of this security feature;
    • the signature stripe on the back of the card is longer, allowing more room for a signature;
    • the magnetic stripe for a Gold Card is now gold, on the White Card this is now blue, while the Orange Card retains a black stripe; and
    • the cards are valid for six years now, instead of the previous four years.

New cards will be distributed to all current card holders during the month of June 2014. Please contact DVA if you have not received your new card by mid July 2014. DVA providers will continue to accept old cards until the expiry date shown on the card.

Further information can be obtained at the website: http://www.dva.gov.au/service_provid...whats_new.aspx

Kind regards,

PMC
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 12th July 2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: fixed title
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (14th June 2014), Gecko17 (14th June 2014), growler2058 (6th June 2014), NP99 (7th June 2014), Stropp (6th June 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day folks,

I was visiting my local GP in Woolgoolga recently when Dr Moore (who is a devote Sikh) advised me about a very famous Sikh battle against Islamismists in 1897. I was unaware of the battle, so I decided to reseach the battle for myself as I love military history. The battle itself is quite remarkable and I thought I would share this story with you all. I hope you enjoy it!

The Battle of Saragarhi

Situation:

Saragarhi was a small village in the border district of Kohat, situated on the Samana Range, in present day Pakistan. On 20 April 1894, the 36th Sikh Regiment of the British Army was created, under the command of Colonel J. Cook.[10] In August 1897, five companies of the 36th Sikhs under Lt. Col. John Haughton, were sent to the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, stationed at Samana Hills, Kurag, Sangar, Sahtop Dhar and Saragarhi.

The British had partially succeeded in getting control of this volatile area, however tribal Pashtuns attacked British personnel from time to time. Thus a series of forts, originally built by Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Ruler of the Sikh Empire, were consolidated. Two of the forts were Fort Lockhart, (on the Samana Range of the Hindu Kush mountains), and Fort Gulistan (Sulaiman Range), situated a few miles apart. Due to the forts not being visible to each other, Saragarhi was created midway, as a heliographic communication post. The Saragarhi post, situated on a rocky ridge, consisted of a small block house with loop-holed ramparts and a signalling tower.

A general uprising by the Afghans began there in 1897, and between 27 August - 11 September, many vigorous efforts by Pashtuns to capture the forts were thwarted by 36th Sikh regiment. In 1897, insurgent and inimical activities had increased, and on 3 and 9 September Afridi tribes, with allegiance to Afghans, attacked Fort Gulistan. Both the attacks were repulsed, and a relief column from Fort Lockhart, on its return trip, reinforced the signalling detachment positioned at Saragarhi, increasing its strength to one Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) and twenty troops of Other Ranks (ORs).

On the morning of 12th September 1897, 10,000 Islamic Pashtuns attacked the signalling post at Saragarhi, so that communication would be lost between the two forts.

The Battle:

Details of the Battle of Saragarhi are considered fairly accurate, due to Gurmukh Singh signalling events to Fort Lockhart as they occurred.

Around 9:00am, around 10,000 Islamic Afghans reach the signaling post at Saragarhi. Sardar Gurmukh Singh signals to Col. Haughton, situated in Fort Lockhart, that they are under attack. Colonel Haughton states he cannot send immediate help to Saragarhi.

The soldiers decide to fight to the last to prevent the enemy from reaching the forts. Bhagwan Singh becomes the first injured and Lal Singh is seriously wounded. Soldiers Lal Singh and Jiwa Singh reportedly carry the dead body of Bhagwan Singh back to the inner layer of the post. The enemy breaks a portion of the wall of the picket.

Colonel Haughton signals that he has estimated between 10,000 and 14,000 Islamic Pashtuns attacking Saragarhi.

The leaders of the Islamic Afghan forces reportedly make promises to the soldiers to entice them to surrender. Reportedly two determined attempts are made to rush open the gate, but are unsuccessful. Later, the wall is breached. Thereafter, some of the fiercest hand-to-hand fighting occurs.

In an act of outstanding bravery, Ishar Singh orders his men to fall back into the inner layer, whilst he remains to fight. However, this is breached and all but one of the defending soldiers are killed, along with hundreds of the Pashtuns.

Gurmukh Singh, who communicated the battle with Col. Haughton, was the last Sikh defender. He is stated to have killed by shooting and bayonetting over 20 Afghans, the Pashtuns having to set fire to the post to kill him. As he was dying he was said to have yelled repeatedly the Sikh battle-cry "Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal" (Shout Aloud in Ecstasy! True is the Great Timeless One). "Akal," meaning Immortal, beyond death, the Supreme Creator God unbound by time and non-temporal.

Having destroyed Saragarhi, the Afghans turned their attention to Fort Gulistan, but they had been delayed too long, and reinforcements arrived there in the night of 13–14 September, before the fort could be conquered.[1] The Pashtuns later admitted that they had lost about 280 killed and many more wounded during the engagement against the 21 Sikh soldiers, but some 600 bodies are said to have been seen around the ruined post when the relief party arrived.

On 14 September, with the use of intensive artillery fire, the total casualties in the entire campaign, including the Battle of Saragarhi, numbered at around 4,800.

On receiving the news, the British Parliament interrupted its proceedings and gave standing ovation to the Sikh men of Saragarhi. Each hero was awarded an Indian Order of Merit (IOM), the highest award given to an Indian soldier in British Indian Army for valour and sacrifice. Altogether, a record 21 IOMs were awarded that day. The battle of Saragarhi gave the concept of "last man, last round".

It is considered by some military historians as one of history's great last-stands. September 12 is celebrated as "Saragarhi Day" by all the battalions of the elite Sikh Regiment.

UNESCO recognises this battle as one among eight battles of the world known for collective bravery.

PS, It is a pity that the Iraqi army at present does not have the same resolve of these truly brave and courageous men.

Regards,

PMC

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

Avo (13th June 2014), Family4x4 (13th June 2014), NP99 (13th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the Iraq army is not known for there bravery..Wasn't it told somewhere when the yanks showed up they expected a fight in one town only to find the men had disappeared and left all their weapons on the ground and just walked off..

thanks for sharing that bit of history to..cheers
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

PMC (13th June 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day folks,

The following story is typical of a stuck-up celebrity that lives in a lives in a dream world, devoid of true reality. Enjoy!

Green Beret Bryan Sikes slams actress Gwyneth Paltrow: ‘Twitter hate is not war’
    June 4th , 2014

A US Army Green Beret has hit out at Gwyneth Paltrow in a scathing essay after the actress compared enduring internet haters to the ravages of war.

Sergeant First Class Bryan Sikes, who suffered a broken neck and back in a 2008 IED explosion in Afghanistan, was infuriated by the actress’ idiotic comment comparing negative online comments to being at war during a tech conference this week, according to The New York Post.

She whined, “You come across [online comments] about yourself and about your friends, and it’s a very dehumanising thing … It’s almost like how, in war, you go through this bloody, dehumanising thing, and then something is defined out of it.”

Sikes seethed in an open letter to Paltrow on ClashDaily.com,

“I can only imagine the difficulty of waking up in a 12,000 square foot Hollywood home and having your assistant retrieve your iPhone, only to see that the battery is low and someone on twitter (the social media concept that you and all of your friends contribute to on an hourly basis to feed your ego and narcissistic ways), has written a mean word or 2 about you. You’ve hit the nail on the head, war is exactly like that. You should receive a medal for the burden you have carried on your shoulders due to these meanies on social media.”

Sikes continued: “I could see how you, and others like you in “the biz,” could be so insecure and mentally weak that you could pair the difficulty of your life on twitter to my brothers who have had their limbs ripped off and seen their friends shot, blown up, burned and disfigured, or wake up every morning in pain — while just starting the day is a challenge.

“You know what is really ‘dehumanising’, Miss Paltrow? The fact that you’d even consider that your life as an “A-list” celebrity reading internet comments could even compare to war and what is endured on the battlefield.”

He summarised: “Let me be the first to burst your bubble: a long line at Starbucks, your driver being 3 minutes late, a scuff mark on your $1200 shoes and a mean tweet do not constitute difficulty in the eyes of a soldier.”

Paltrow, and her rep, have yet to respond.

Sikes, originally from Minnesota, enlisted in the armed forces in 2005, and was awarded a Green Beret in 2007. He served in Afghanistan in 2007, returned home and went back in 2008, when an SUV he was travelling in rolled over an IED in Southeastern Kabul.

Sikes, in his late 20s, said the attack left him with a broken back, broken neck, shrapnel in his leg and “bounced my brain around my skull a bit,” in an 2013 interview with ClashDaily.com.

In the same interview, Sikes took a more powerful stance about dealing with negative comments on social media.

“It’s laughable to think because someone didn’t click like on a Facebook picture, that I’m going to get twisted about it. I’ve got bigger things to worry about. My wife and kids mean more to me than anyone else will. I can care less about what else is going on and the vanity of everything. I don’t have time for it.”

Good onya Sergeant First Class Bryan Sikes, you hit the nail on the head!

Regards,

PMC

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

93patrol (13th June 2014), Avo (13th June 2014), Gecko17 (14th June 2014), jack (13th June 2014), NP99 (13th June 2014), oncedisturbed (13th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iraq - what a disappointment, but not entirely unexpected. Afghanistan will be next....
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado č tratto

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

PMC (13th June 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NP99 View Post
    Iraq - what a disappointment, but not entirely unexpected. Afghanistan will be next....
    So true mate,

The sad thing is that good men have died from this great country of ours, fighting for there freedom.

Regards,

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read a couple of books on the Russian-Afghan war and what happened there. There is also a movie, Beast of War, that shows just how badly the Russians got served... Considering that the CIA trained the Afghans and supplied their surface to air weapons as well as others, you'd have thought that the Americans would have learnt a few more things. There were a lot of "In country assets" that became one with the Afghans and could have prevented a lot of deaths had only the politicians listened to what they had to say...

Sadly, very few politicians have ever been shot at in anger, so will never value human life as much as a soldier.
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gecko17 For This Useful Post:

Avo (14th June 2014), Bloodyaussie (14th June 2014), PMC (16th June 2014), threedogs (14th June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was Americas revenge on the Russians for supporting the NVA during the Vietnam war...
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado č tratto

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

PMC (15th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NP99 View Post
    It was Americas revenge on the Russians for supporting the NVA during the Vietnam war...
    Indeed, it was!

So much for the Cold War being over....
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your having trouble with Vet Affairs processing your claim, spare a thought for these poor buggers -
    Paying asylum seekers to return home 'standard practice' for 10 years, Scott Morrison says

Paying asylum seekers who return home voluntarily has been standard practice for more than 10 years, the Federal Government says, amid reports some are being offered as much as $10,000 to return to their country of origin.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison has refused to confirm individual dollar figures, saying they are determined on a case-by-case basis.

Fairfax Media is reporting Lebanese asylum seekers have been given $10,000 to leave Australia's offshore processing centres on Manus Island and Nauru and return home.

The reports say "return packages" for Iranians amount to $7,000, while Afghans are offered $4,000.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado č tratto

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

PMC (22nd June 2014)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast