OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARB Bar with roller fairlead support bracket and swapping to dyneema rope

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARB Bar with roller fairlead support bracket and swapping to dyneema rope

Hi Guys, I've got a rope left over that I was planning to put on my GU before I left it behind. My question is really for my current Jack, but it is exactly the same on the ARB bar for the GQ I think?

If I take off the old roller fairlead and swap for the hawse do you reckon the support bracket will get in the way (in terms of the rope rubbing on it)? I could take to it with the angle grinder, but don't know how I'd ever get the bar looking neat and tidy after I ground it off and in the process took most of the powder coat off?

Maybe it's not an issue, but I'm worried on some odd angle one day I might rub the rope on the bracket. It will probably also look crap sitting out there on it's own. What do you think? Any suggestions? Anyone already tackled this on their GQ?

The black one is my Jack, the other is the ARB photo for a GQ deluxe bar.

arb_bar_fairlead.jpg
    arb_gq_deluxe.jpg
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all ... I have the same set up and run rope and no problems at all....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

cgm (3rd June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BA, I'll put it on the list of things to be done then.
    Thanks, Cameron

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need the offset fairlead for that bar as the normal one does not line up..... Just double check before ordering.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

cgm (3rd June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are that worried about running a hawse fairlead you could always replace the rollers with nolathane/poly ones. They are meant to be rope friendly and would lookno different to it is now, except maybe a colour change from the steel rollers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

cgm (3rd June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the hawse already (bought it with the rope for the other bar), but I'll check it all carefully to see if it should be offset. I haven't noticed or heard of the nolathene/poly ones. So I'll go and search about those now.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Thanks, Cameron

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    ... you could always replace the rollers with nolathane/poly ones. They are meant to be rope friendly and would lookno different to it is now, except maybe a colour change from the steel rollers.
    I'd really never noticed these before.

Here is an example. Will probably try and check the hawse one I already have simply for $$. But, if I'm not happy with it then this is definitely an option.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/3011...=true&lpid=107

Thanks again.
    Thanks, Cameron

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I cut it off the one on the GQ on the old bar, came up very neat. It's all in my build thread. I'll see if I can find the post and direct you there.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Thanks guys,

OK here is the next installment, there were lots of things i did in this build up that i took pics of and i will add in sections for your info.

First one is the front bar and Winch

Here is a pic the after i fitted it all back up and this is basically what it looked like before the strip down

First i fitted up the Chrome Grill and was happy there.

Then i had another look at the front bar and just thought that is was getting pretty grubby by comparison to the rest.

I had to strip out the winch to fit the airlines anyway so here is what happened next. I am a sucker for punishment.

Out comes the Winch and set aside for other work. Going to run Plasma rope that has been in the shed for 2 years so this bit is not required

Off it comes

Rubbed back and ready for paint (cheap pressure pack Saturn Black from Bunnings)

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Next got started on the winch. I pulled it to bits on the bench in the shed to give it a good clean out.

I used this link for a great writeup and how to ==> http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

Then i went about renovating what needed to be done. I Painted the casing using a Charcoal Hammertone paint out of a can

I tapped the casing to run Air lines to pressurise the case for Bog holes etc. You can see also that i used some of that PVC liquid tape on the terminals thinking that i could trim up the mess when dry => NO YOU CANT!!! so after this pic i went and got a very fine brush and neatened it up allot.

I reckon it looks great.

Mounted it back up into the newly painted bar and fitted the air lines

See on the back of the numberplate i have fitted a white LED marker light that is switched with the winch isolation switch in the dash and lights up the winch whenever power is connected to it. F*#king awesome at night for winching.

Attached my home made Nylon Fairlead and Bob's your Aunty.

From this >>>>

To this >>>>>

Mounted up my Lightforce XGTs that i converted to HID and wound on the plasma and ready to go!!

Sorry on the phone but here is the main post.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 3rd June 2014 at 09:02 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

cgm (4th June 2014), Clunk (4th June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual Darren, top answer! Thanks mate. I'll have to see if I'm brave (stupid) enough to cut it off - ha ha.

I'll try and check the fairlead and how it looks and then can decide on the chop at any time. Appreciate you digging it out. I'd forgotten about it, but once you mentioned it I remember going through your whole thread once and seeing it. (I remember coz it was such a big job to get through it all - glad you picked it out for me could have spent another couple of months just finding it )
    Thanks, Cameron

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cgm For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (4th June 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast