Thread: Spare wheel on roof rack

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spare wheel on roof rack

Looking at the second spare wheel on the roof rack always seems a simple issue that is till you have to get it there.

I have lifted one on a couple of times and the wheel has not been exactly cooperative, heavy is the first thing that comes to mind.
    Getting it off can also be entertaining.

The simplest I have considered is to get someone else to do it. For some reason it is hard to find anyone around when the loading operation has to be done.

Out of interest then how do others get their second spare on to the roof rack.

(I have thought of an ARB rear bar with a 2 wheel holder, but that adds additional weight to the rear considering I am also towing a van.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same tyres/rim offset on my trailer as I have on my car so I only carry a spare for each but both spares can be used for car or trailer. When we do a big trip I usually just take a tube and a spare tyre with no rim and change it if nessasary.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't carry a full spare on the roof rack anymore for a few reasons, it uses up half your allowable roof load and is just asking for an injury getting it up or down to name two.

I'll happily carry a carcass up there which is heavy enough but not a full spare.

The easies way I have found to get one up or down is to stand beside the small barn door, roll the spare onto a knee and hoist it (hay bale style) onto the step, reposition and roll the sucker onto the top of the door mounted spare, climb onto the step, roll the sucker onto a knee and hoist it onto the rack.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it is a PITA. Getting it on has usually just been a straight lift and push job. Always bloody heavy with steelies.

Getting it down is also fun. I once saw a not-so-smart colleague of mine get up on the rack and throw it off. The tyre bounced right back and smashed in the rear side window for him. I nearly wet myself laughing, but it was actually quite reckless. Another time I saw a bloke throw it off, the tyre bounced back up and started rolling away down the gentle slope, also rather amusing.

I have drawers in my truck and I somehow manage to stand on the rear step, get the tyre up over the back edge of the rack and then manhandle it off and let it rest on the back of the drawers while I jump down to grab it again. I don't know if there is an easy way though.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grab a set of tyre pliers and a tube.. It's as good as having a second tyre..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the same theme, my tent (30 odd kg) needs to go up there (used to fit in the tub on my Hilux), how to you guys go about that? 1.4m long about 35cm in diameter and kinda floppy to hold.
    Cheers Rod

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy to say - but only light stuff should go on a roof rack. As well as the effort (and sometimes danger / injury) of getting it on and off - all that weight up there is not good for the vehicle or anyone in it. A mate of mine on a trip to the cape had that much weight on his roof rack (with him, his missus and five kids in the car he didn't have a lot of choice) that his gutters snapped off and he had to climb out the windows. Also, the more weight on top the more you will roll from side to side. This adds to instabillity on slopes and doesn't help with car sickness either!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been discussed in great length before and my advice is don't do it... carry a tyre only but not a whole wheel.

I nearly smashed my windscreen from doing this when the wheel got away from me and a lot of times you need the spare you are not in ideal settings... eg level ground.

Thats my advice from experience.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the answers.
    In the old days with the Toyota FJ35 I just drove over the flat to break the bead. Some what cautious doing that with alloys on the patrol.

Changing tyres is not an issue. After some entertainment getting the full wheel on and off I have considered a couple of tubes and also just the basic tyre without rim. I can toss a tyre up no big problem.

I have the tyre leavers from way back so not a big deal though they are more suited to the old Toyota rims.

Yes I drove one of them but back in those days Patrols were not that great. I have converted.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (2nd June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the weight of a tyre alone. Say a 17inch BFG?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast