User Tag List

Thread: Upcoming trip advice/suggestions

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upcoming trip advice/suggestions

Hi all, I'm planning a trip from Queanbeyan to Cameron Corner then to Woomera via the Strzelecki. On to Uluru, Alice Springs, Wolfe Creek Crater and home via Mt Isa and Longreach.

Is this doable over say 5 weeks? I'm thinking it is if I keep to a schedule and don't dilly dally around but I should still have time to take in the sites. At worst I can cut off the Wolfe creek crater part to get back on track but hopefully I won't have to do that.

A guesstimate sits at around 10,000kms for the trip.

Has anyone done a similar trip over similar time period?

Has anyone been on the Strzelecki from Cameron Corner lately?

Has anyone been on the Tanami Road lately?

Any advice or suggestions as to where to go, what to see, what road to take or what gear to take would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This trip involves a lot of dirt driving so you have to be prepared to make major changes to your trip plan if road conditions change as they often do.
    I am going on a trip myself in 4 weeks up the Kimberley's via the Tanami and have allowed myself 6 weeks for about 8,500kms but I have planned several stops for 3 or 4 days in one place.
    Reports I have heard are the Tanami in in very good condition and generally kept good for the mining.

Been a lot of years since I was out Cameron Corner but it was quite slow when I was, I assume you will take the Strezlecki to the Oodnadatta track and on to the Borefield track to get to Woomera?

Are you traveling with any other cars?

Make sure you carry spare hosed, belts, oils and fluids, two spare tyres and puncture repair kit. We came across a 4wd in the outback that only had one spare and got two punctures so repaired their punctures for them but nobody should rely on someone else.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (27th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    that trip would just about chop out a set of tyres, are you fitting new tyres before you go?,
    how old are your batteries Travel as light as possible to avoid any problems. take at least two spare tyre carcasses
    and a repair kit. and maybe a tube. Plenty of water. Have the Patrol serviced in inspected for outback travel,
    any good 4x4 shop should be able to do a pre trip inspection, take your time drive to conditions and enjoy.
    Change all hoses and belts and keep the old for spares, tools to suit the Patrol and spares , even MAF cleaner

Edit; a workshop manual

10,000 ks in 5 weeks = 2000 k a week that's a lot of Ks IMO or 285K a day every day
    would require an oil change at some point
    Last edited by threedogs; 27th May 2014 at 08:33 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (27th May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    This trip involves a lot of dirt driving so you have to be prepared to make major changes to your trip plan if road conditions change as they often do.
    I am going on a trip myself in 4 weeks up the Kimberley's via the Tanami and have allowed myself 6 weeks for about 8,500kms but I have planned several stops for 3 or 4 days in one place.
    Reports I have heard are the Tanami in in very good condition and generally kept good for the mining.

Been a lot of years since I was out Cameron Corner but it was quite slow when I was, I assume you will take the Strezlecki to the Oodnadatta track and on to the Borefield track to get to Woomera?

Are you traveling with any other cars?

Make sure you carry spare hosed, belts, oils and fluids, two spare tyres and puncture repair kit. We came across a 4wd in the outback that only had one spare and got two punctures so repaired their punctures for them but nobody should rely on someone else.
    Yep that the planned route.

Travelling alone at present.

Got spare radiator hoses (feel like I got touched for the hoses, $150 for a top and bottom, $75 each. Does that sound about right or did they see me coming?) what other hoses should I have?

I've only got 1 spare but have the puncture repair thingo. Thought that would cover the usual run of the mill punctures. Doesn't that coopers ad say that he travelled through 12 countries without as much as a puncture?

I mean would be awesome to have an extra spare but it's all about the $$$. I have looked around for another but as yet haven't managed to snag one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    that trip would just about chop out a set of tyres, are you fitting new tyres before you go?,
    how old are your batteries Travel as light as possible to avoid any problems. take at least two spare tyre carcasses
    and a repair kit. and maybe a tube. Plenty of water. Have the Patrol serviced in inspected for outback travel,
    any good 4x4 shop should be able to do a pre trip inspection, take your time drive to conditions and enjoy.
    Change all hoses and belts and keep the old for spares, tools to suit the Patrol and spares , even MAF cleaner

Edit; a workshop manual

10,000 ks in 5 weeks = 2000 k a week that's a lot of Ks IMO or 285K a day every day
    would require an oil change at some point
    I didn't think it would destroy a set of tyre. They are like 2 months old. Dual battery setup and both batteries are brand new. I do intend getting an inspection before I leave and am taking extra water.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should not destroy a good set of tyres on that trip, just make sure you drop the pressure while on the dirt, I run 30psi on tracks like those.
    Also go slow through any of the dry creek crossings as they are where a lot of punctures occur.
    There are times that a puncture cannot be avoided no matter how good your tyres are or how careful you drive and if you end up with a hole in the sidewall you will not be able to fix that so that is why a second spare is good, even if its a second hand tyre casing only and no rim and carry tyre irons to change it.
    I don't know what hoses normally cost but am about to buy some myself so would be interested if someone else on here would suggest where is best to buy them.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

gaddy (27th May 2014), Patrol-Guy (27th May 2014)