Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca86 View Post
    I wouldn't buy something this big for your first rifle though. I'll be using the .22 the most. The 22/50 will be used at our farm and the 7mm will only be used on special hunts. I plan on taking trophy deer next year with a trip to New Zealand planned with a mate and a trip this year down in nsw.
    Firearm ownership is like golf you need a club for different conditions. On a positive note it's not a good walk ruined quite the opposite!

On the shoulder not bad you wouldn't want to paper punch all day with it. Some say its a bit more than a 30-06
    Yeah ok.... I have owned about 20 rifles now... I had an ex military 30-06 the type with the real short barrel and that bloody hurt.

I have owned 2 x 308's 2 x 30-06's a 303 Lee Enfield a 223 break open, a 243 Parker Hale.... I loved that rifle.. about 5 x .22's and a bunch of odds and ends.. I have two shot guns both side by side with one being a 12g and the other a .410
    I have also owned a 17hmr but swapped that for my custom .204 Ruger (my baby)

As I have sold my budget 30-06 to fund the .243 I will look for a replacement in the not to distant future and would like something different... thats why I am interested in what the 7mm is like.

I will never go back to the 308 I dont think but would go back to a 30-06... fun fun fun !!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the largest calibre you can get in qld? On a standard licence ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    Yeah ok.... I have owned about 20 rifles now... I had an ex military 30-06 the type with the real short barrel and that bloody hurt.

I have owned 2 x 308's 2 x 30-06's a 303 Lee Enfield a 223 break open, a 243 Parker Hale.... I loved that rifle.. about 5 x .22's and a bunch of odds and ends.. I have two shot guns both side by side with one being a 12g and the other a .410
    I have also owned a 17hmr but swapped that for my custom .204 Ruger (my baby)

As I have sold my budget 30-06 to fund the .243 I will look for a replacement in the not to distant future and would like something different... thats why I am interested in what the 7mm is like.

I will never go back to the 308 I dont think but would go back to a 30-06... fun fun fun !!!
    I think the .308 is over rated people only use it because it's cheap to shoot as it's military. The 30-06 is a great round and I was wanting an aught six but after using my mates 7mm and research it felt right plus it's metric it's a magnum and sounds cool haha.
    Here's some info on a 280 30-06 and a 7mm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    What's the largest calibre you can get in qld? On a standard licence ?
    You can get anything if you can justify it. Black powder guns are huge .55 calibre and heavy bullets but slow.guy at the gunshop has a 488 Lott my mate has a 416 ruger. 338 laps aren't big as such but due to high energy levels can't be used on most ranges unless a 1000 m range. Big is not always better it's more of a wank factor

Thanks
    Thanked 12,439 Times in 6,264 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A mate of mine has a .383 he uses for stalking. Seems a bit over the top?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only reason I asked was I found a pic showing different calibre's its just hard to know a good size to get.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only reason I asked was I found a pic showing different calibre's its just hard to know a good size to get.
    Hahaha, 88 is a fun bullet to shoot

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to shoot a rabbit with the big 58 rifle round lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends what you wanna shoot? Why you want to shoot it and at what distance do you want to shoot at. Do you shoot on a bench or is it a hunting rifle if so is it an all weather rifle or dry use only will you use pay bi pod or are you shooting from a vehicle. These are the questions you need to answer before purchasing a firearm.

My 7mm I wanna shoot deer or larger game.(in some states 270 is min calibre) distance as close as possible but may shoot across gullies so up to 400metres. It'll be a hunting rifle in all weather so composite stock for weigh reduction no timber care and stainless barrel for weather.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to macca86 For This Useful Post:

Avo (12th June 2014), Bloodyaussie (5th June 2014), Gecko17 (6th June 2014), megatexture (5th June 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Macca some good stuff there.... very flat and a bit faster than the 30-06. I will have to see if I can get a shot of one at the range.

Funny when some think there first rifle should be a 308... makes me laugh as they soon realise they cant just go banging off rounds and many properties dont like you shooting 30cals.. plus nearly $2 a shot it can get expensive.

Every shooter should own at least 2 .22's for some good plinking fun... so many McDonalds toys have been taken to the range and destroyed.

I would place toys in front of other shooters targets and no one would mind and a little later you would hear a cheer as the toy was hit.... at less than 10 cents a shot good clean fun.

I will look into the 7mm and make my own mind up but the stats look good.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (6th June 2014), macca86 (5th June 2014)

Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast