User Tag List

Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hunters Thread...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    250 won't be needed if he's only shooting it to 100m. Plus way to load. Still don't think you need a 223 straight away mate. For a good 223 package you'll be up around 1500ish more for the tikka. Almost any 22 will shoot accurate though. Perfect gun to get you into the sport.

If you jump straight into a 223 in my opinion you miss out on learning more about ballistics as you don't have to deal with them as much. Put it in perspective. At the range I can hit the target at 500yrds maybe 80% of the time with 223. With the 22 and knowing what I have learned I can almost do the same even though the bullet drop is so much I can't see the target in the scope haha. But I can still but it.... I think jumping to a 223 is just not the right way to get into it properly. If your planning on deer hunting particularly at distance then your going to regret not learning about bullet drop or windage etc. EVERYONE I know who shoots regularly had a 22 and is usually always with you when shooting to.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matfew For This Useful Post:

Irish (7th July 2016), MudRunnerTD (7th July 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I reckon also if your walking up on rabbits you will get way way closer than 100m mate, way closer! 100m is miles away from a bunny, you should be able to whistle up your foxes to pretty close too if your on foot, no vehicle noise will be an advantage.

Don't get me wrong mate, my first gun was a 223 & 3006 purchased together, the 3006 has done very little but it's not really a gun you take out to shoot 20 rounds out of. It's a big gun. The 223 will easily deal with Roos and foxes but is a bit extreme for a bunny gun, as noted the cost of ammo of a 223 over a 22 is night and day! If your out on bunnies you could use 50 or 150 rounds in a night. That will cost you $20 or $150! The 22 will easily do it. I would just never grab the 223 for bunnies.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Winnie don't listen to them! Get this!!! .338 Lapua Magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th July 2016), taslucas (7th July 2016), Touses (8th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I reckon also if your walking up on rabbits you will get way way closer than 100m mate, way closer! 100m is miles away from a bunny, you should be able to whistle up your foxes to pretty close too if your on foot, no vehicle noise will be an advantage.

Don't get me wrong mate, my first gun was a 223 & 3006 purchased together, the 3006 has done very little but it's not really a gun you take out to shoot 20 rounds out of. It's a big gun. The 223 will easily deal with Roos and foxes but is a bit extreme for a bunny gun, as noted the cost of ammo of a 223 over a 22 is night and day! If your out on bunnies you could use 50 or 150 rounds in a night. That will cost you $20 or $150! The 22 will easily do it. I would just never grab the 223 for bunnies.
    I thought shooting roos was illegal? Or is it the type of thing that's technically illegal but everyone does anyway?
    If that's the case then I will without a doubt get a .223 because there are literally thousands of roos on my mates farm, and a few pigs too but we're yet to actually see them. His property backs onto a pine plantation.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I thought shooting roos was illegal? Or is it the type of thing that's technically illegal but everyone does anyway?
    If that's the case then I will without a doubt get a .223 because there are literally thousands of roos on my mates farm, and a few pigs too but we're yet to actually see them. His property backs onto a pine plantation.
    Property holders can obtain permits to "cull" set numbers..
    But yes illegal to the average shooter / hunter..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ what he said ^^^^
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I don't want a .22
    I might get one down the track but want the .223 for now.
    The reason I supported Mattys assertion is because I can't count the amount of people I've seen who start off with a larger calibre and pick up a bunch of really bad shooting habits straight off the bat.
    As with anything else, it's harder to change bad habits than learn good ones to begin with.

If you've shot quite a bit before then go nuts, but if you are a first time shooter I believe you really should start with a 22 and learn the right way.

Just my 2c.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    The reason I supported Mattys assertion is because I can't count the amount of people I've seen who start off with a larger calibre and pick up a bunch of really bad shooting habits straight off the bat.
    As with anything else, it's harder to change bad habits than learn good ones to begin with.

If you've shot quite a bit before then go nuts, but if you are a first time shooter I believe you really should start with a 22 and learn the right way.

Just my 2c.
    It's such a good wide use size too..
    Was my pick from dad's collection unless we ment business..
    Then it was the double barrel under over shot gun..
    Didn't use the 223 to much.. just didn't need it..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have probably put 200 odd rounds through a 22 before and a few threw some bigger rifles too, mainly target shooting. I've shot even more through a 12g
    So I'm not brand new to shooting but haven't had a lot of experience.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you havent had a lot of experience as you say yourself, then definitely go a 22. I put 200rds through my 22 the first day I brought it to the range.

I've also used the 22 a sh1te load more than I've used any of my other rifles or shotgun, or ever will for that matter. As westy said, it is an extremely versatile calibre.

A lot of people eschew them in favour of something bigger because people dont think of the 22 as a big boy gun, but they really are the best bang for buck(no pun intended) calibre you can get. Think of em like a leatherman, useful for a multitude of tasks.

Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast