Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hunters Thread...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah we had family down from the city,a fox ran past the chook yard into the paddock..to there amazement all Ebb wanted to do was get the gun...gotta love a kid with ambition
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (23rd May 2014), Gecko17 (25th May 2014), oncedisturbed (24th May 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a shooter just yet, but booked into my safety course on the 7-07, getting most of my paperwork ready now like my game license..

Main reason I am keen to get into hunting is meat ducks and deer. Anyone hunt and butcher?
    GQ highmount, lockers, barwork, 3-Link front, long arms, V8, cage, duct tape, cable ties and 35's

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not apposed to a good night's shoot.
    Back on the farm it was pest management, foxes, airborne rats, snakes and rats..

We had an under over shotgun and little .22 bolt action..

Now in the city have just picked up myself this..

ForumRunner_20140523_194748.png

Freebie.. Needs some work though..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (23rd May 2014), Gecko17 (25th May 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crate View Post
    I am not a shooter just yet, but booked into my safety course on the 7-07, getting most of my paperwork ready now like my game license..

Main reason I am keen to get into hunting is meat ducks and deer. Anyone hunt and butcher?
    Yes a few do on here mate...

As for the 17hmr I did like it a lot but any wind and it was frustrating and there was a huge batch of ammo that was splitting cases and getting jammed in the barrel... I stuffed up a shot on a fox and the fox was suffering but I had a jammed round and could not get it out, the fox suffered longer than it should have..

I remember hitting a rabbit on the fly at 150m with a 17hmr... it was a brilliant shot helped by the pace of the bullet.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That fox was fun it was mid day I was heading home after a 7 hr walk and not seen a bloody thing not even a roo on our 1500 acre place in stanthorpe. I was walking along and we saw each other I stopped and shouldered firearm. He ducked behind a tree. I stayed still he knew I was there but not sure where. He took a step out I took aim he hid again then took 2 steps out then bam in one shoulder out the back. You can see the dags on the rock shot was hard to get a non gruesome pose.
    The 22/250 IMHO is Australia's choice for hunting roos pig fox dog head shot long range bunnies my hand loads throw 55 gn projectiles at 3200fps I'm happy with that.
    I'm saving for a 7mm rem mag for larger deer as I want to start chasing them.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to macca86 For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (23rd May 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm ashooter as well...been shooting for 30 odd years now.

Got a few rifles over the years.... 22, 22 mag, 17 hmr, 17 hornet, 22 hornet, 223, 308, 204, 243, 240 weather by, 257 weatherby, 300 win mag, 38 lap mag, 270,416 rigby, 375 cheytac, 416 Barrett, .50 BMG as well as a few others and a few shotties

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a good night... 3 foxes in quick succession... 2 with the 204 and one with the .22 while trying to find the second fox I shot from 250m.

Doka you have a 50 cal mate...... and a 416 barrett bloody hell !!!!!! my shoulder could not cope with my injuries.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up 416 Barrett DTA the other week so its still a virgin lol

The 50 is quite reasonable to shoot due its weight and the brake on it..I would say the 375 cheytac kicks more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    This was a good night... 3 foxes in quick succession... 2 with the 204 and one with the .22 while trying to find the second fox I shot from 250m.

Doka you have a 50 cal mate...... and a 416 barrett bloody hell !!!!!! my shoulder could not cope with my injuries.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post

I can tell that whoever took that picture is a sexy beast.

Just dropped my mauser off at the gunsmiths to get chamber reamed and have mounts fitted. They wanted $375 to bend the bolt handle though, which is a bit on the pricey side for me(though I understand how it could cost that much), but I've managed to source one already bent from Numrich gun parts in the US, have bought a few bits off them now and if they don't have something, it just doesn't exist.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (24th May 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I find some stuff in this country is way over priced and some of the mark ups not reasonable at all..

Many stores in this country are pricks to deal with.. I have had little to do with gunsmiths but have heard of prices paid for some work and nearly fell over !!!!

I need to send my trigger off to that bloke that does all my Howa triggers as I think even though I am only breaking in the new rifle it will still piss me off with too much creep and way to heavy pull....

I like 1 1/2 to 2 pound on a .243 but my .204 is set at 1 pound and I have to warn people if I let them take a shot.

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast