Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Winch needed

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U gotta check the water ratings of the runva's though. They're not IP68 rated like many of the others. I bought mine due to price & warranty also however I fully expect the "fine print" to appear when it comes to the "limited lifetime warranty" if & when it breaks. Exactly what does limited mean? And what does water resistant mean? Does it have seals or does it not? It doesn't have an "R" rating.

I'm not convinced the 9500Q comp winch is better than the 11xp. The gearbox is a better design on the 9500Q but the 11xp has a stronger box, hence the load rating.

Also the 9500Q will fit a stock nissan winch bar. I have a '98 GU with a stock nissan winch bar which btw were made for nissan by ARB. I have an 11xp winch on it & the 9500q is the same size & bolt up method.

Personally I don't consider any winch with a horizontal gearbox to be worthy of comp status. And the controls look worse than a kids toy from the reject shop lol.

But on the plus side I've had mine fully submerged in water & it still works but it's still new so whether it will do the same in the future is yet to be seen. The SmittyBuilt winches are pretty good. Just over the $1000 mark (at around $1250 if you get em on special or shop around) they're a lot better than Runva, IP68 rated & the only downside is they don't have a wireless remote. But in-controls aren't hard to install.
    Last edited by Sharky1; 29th October 2014 at 09:45 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who can afford to spend an extra $1000 or there about for a brand name winch (i.e. Warn), then go for it. For the rest of us it is a guessing game at trying to sort out the rest. Below is a copy of my emails between Runva and myself when I was purchasing my winch. Hope it helps anyone looking at a Runva.

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a Runva 13.5XF Winch.

If it is submerged during a creek crossing will that affect the winch operation or its warranty?

Thanks,

Harry.

Hi Harry,

We will be able to provide you with some tips to make sure the winch is 100% waterproof so it won't void the warranty.

Kind Regards,
    Runva Performance Winches

Hello,

Thanks for your reply to my question below.

With advice from the retailer I ended up installing a Runva EWX1200 with
    the Dyneema Rope Cable. To fit it into the Nissan Bar I needed to
    install it upside down but I did that only after the retailer sort
    advise from your company for me.

My question now is can you still provide me with the tips on this model
    to make sure the winch is 100% waterproof?

Looking forward to your reply.

Many thanks for your time,

Harry.

Hi Harry,

Purchase a small tube of silicon, seal the around the motor terminal with the silicon. Any joins around the bolts, seal as well.

Will take about 5 mins.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers

Kind Regards,

Note:- I have removed the authors name on the Runva emails.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harrythomas For This Useful Post:

93patrol (1st November 2014), Clunk (1st November 2014), Family4x4 (31st October 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrythomas View Post
    For those who can afford to spend an extra $1000 or there about for a brand name winch (i.e. Warn), then go for it. For the rest of us it is a guessing game at trying to sort out the rest. Below is a copy of my emails between Runva and myself when I was purchasing my winch. Hope it helps anyone looking at a Runva.

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a Runva 13.5XF Winch.

If it is submerged during a creek crossing will that affect the winch operation or its warranty?

Thanks,

Harry.

Hi Harry,

We will be able to provide you with some tips to make sure the winch is 100% waterproof so it won't void the warranty.

Kind Regards,

Hello,

Thanks for your reply to my question below.

With advice from the retailer I ended up installing a Runva EWX1200 with
    the Dyneema Rope Cable. To fit it into the Nissan Bar I needed to
    install it upside down but I did that only after the retailer sort
    advise from your company for me.

My question now is can you still provide me with the tips on this model
    to make sure the winch is 100% waterproof?

Looking forward to your reply.

Many thanks for your time,

Harry.

Hi Harry,

Purchase a small tube of silicon, seal the around the motor terminal with the silicon. Any joins around the bolts, seal as well.

Will take about 5 mins.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers

Kind Regards,

Note:- I have removed the authors name on the Runva emails.

Yep, & I promise you in 12mths time that silicone will have fallen off as silicone does not stay adhered to hot metal otherwise any winch could be classed as waterproof & no one would buy IP68 rated winches. I knew it was bullcrap when they only stated that they could tell you how to make it waterproof but they failed to tell you HOW until you bought one. If it was that easy & really worked they'd sell them like that. The best hope you have is to use Gutter silicone & apply check it before entering the water each time which gets annoying.

I'm not being pessimistic nor am I bagging Runva, just keeping it real. I own a Runva EWX1200 & I've had it completely submerged & it still works but it's still new so hasn't been knocked about & used excessively or been heated up & cooled down with use & seasonal weather exposure, all of which affects it's ability to stay water tight. Installing it upside down won't do anything. we're talking about total submersion here. Besides, you might get the clutch lever at the bottom, reducing risk of water entry from the top, but you're putting the power leads at the top so water will enter there. The best way to waterproof it is to keep it out of water. You really do get what you pay for with winches but hey for $700 I can buy 2 or 3 Runvas in a 10 yr period & who knows if I'll still own the car in 10yrs time?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky1 View Post
    Yep, & I promise you in 12mths time that silicone will have fallen off as silicone does not stay adhered to hot metal otherwise any winch could be classed as waterproof & no one would buy IP68 rated winches. I knew it was bullcrap when they only stated that they could tell you how to make it waterproof but they failed to tell you HOW until you bought one. If it was that easy & really worked they'd sell them like that. The best hope you have is to use Gutter silicone & apply check it before entering the water each time which gets annoying.

I'm not being pessimistic nor am I bagging Runva, just keeping it real. I own a Runva EWX1200 & I've had it completely submerged & it still works but it's still new so hasn't been knocked about & used excessively or been heated up & cooled down with use & seasonal weather exposure, all of which affects it's ability to stay water tight. Installing it upside down won't do anything. we're talking about total submersion here. Besides, you might get the clutch lever at the bottom, reducing risk of water entry from the top, but you're putting the power leads at the top so water will enter there. The best way to waterproof it is to keep it out of water. You really do get what you pay for with winches but hey for $700 I can buy 2 or 3 Runvas in a 10 yr period & who knows if I'll still own the car in 10yrs time?
    It is always good to get another opinion Sharky1.

This gives prospective purchases a good overall picture so they can make an informative decision for themselves.

I would ask you though to please take the time to look at my first email where I was looking at purchasing their product and take note of their answer.

Thanks again for your input.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SmittyBuilt winches are pretty good. Just over the $1000 mark (at around $1250 if you get em on special or shop around) they're a lot better than Runva, IP68 rated & the only downside is they don't have a wireless remote. But in-controls aren't hard to install.
    Come on, Smittybilt winches are a just another chinese winch made for a 4x4 accessory company and there IP67/8 rating is just ambiguous marketing talk.
    IP 68
    The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects.
    I bet if they found mud inside bye bye warranty just like warn
    Last edited by warren300; 19th November 2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: It does look pretty though

Thanks
    Thanked 4,651 Times in 3,120 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrythomas View Post

It is always good to get another opinion Sharky1.

This gives prospective purchases a good overall picture so they can make an informative decision for themselves.

I would ask you though to please take the time to look at my first email where I was looking at purchasing their product and take note of their answer.

Thanks again for your input.
    Could you simple place a silicone washer under the terminals that was big enough to press against the housing when compressed?

A runva winch is on the books before Christmas hopefully so any info would be tops.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    U gotta check the water ratings of the runva's though. They're not IP68 rated like many of the others. I bought mine due to price & warranty also however I fully expect the "fine print" to appear when it comes to the "limited lifetime warranty" if & when it breaks. Exactly what does limited mean? And what does water resistant mean? Does it have seals or does it not? It doesn't have an "R" rating.

I'm not convinced the 9500Q comp winch is better than the 11xp. The gearbox is a better design on the 9500Q but the 11xp has a stronger box, hence the load rating.

Also the 9500Q will fit a stock nissan winch bar. I have a '98 GU with a stock nissan winch bar which btw were made for nissan by ARB. I have an 11xp winch on it & the 9500q is the same size & bolt up method.

Personally I don't consider any winch with a horizontal gearbox to be worthy of comp status. And the controls look worse than a kids toy from the reject shop lol.

But on the plus side I've had mine fully submerged in water & it still works but it's still new so whether it will do the same in the future is yet to be seen. The SmittyBuilt winches are pretty good. Just over the $1000 mark (at around $1250 if you get em on special or shop around) they're a lot better than Runva, IP68 rated & the only downside is they don't have a wireless remote. But in-controls aren't hard to install.
    here is a comp set up using low mount winches
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've rung a runva dealer this morning and they stated the 9500 is longer than the 11xp and won't fit the patrol chassis.
    Might have to investigate.
    Last edited by BigRAWesty; 19th November 2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on which 9500 model, according to Runva's website

11XP 540mm
    EWX9500 540mm
    EWX9500-Q 577mm
    EWX1200 579mm
    and
    IRONMAN all 562mm
    Warn 9.5xp 577mm
    Warn XD9000 555mm

GQ chassis 630mm

the only isues ive read about have been with factory bars on GU,s
    Last edited by warren300; 19th November 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just dropped into the local reps joint who runs them on his busses.
    The 11 xp fits stock bars but the 9500q doesn't.
    But....
    Some manufacturers like irox mount there bars on the outside of the chassis rails. Thus allowing another 100+mm of room.

Also the water proofing.
    It's nothing to do with water ingress. There are water tight.
    The issue some people are having is the terminals are brass but with zinc coated nuts. The silicone aids in rust prevention.
    His son snapped his terminal off due to it.
    So imo a quick wipe with neverseize will stop this.

So I'm sold.
    Getting a quote for the 11xp and a new deep cycle battery.
    And then to make a cradle.
    I love tax returns..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast