User Tag List

Thread: Gvm upgrades

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gvm upgrades

Has anyone successfully raised gvm on their gu wagons? I'm looking for an extra 400kgs.
    In sunny qld that is...
    GQ Wagon 4.2 carb 4inch lift of the road resting
    GU Rd28 Wagon 2 inch lift on the road now daily driver
    D22 Navara ZD30- in rehab pending being moved on.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unaware you could for wagons, have only seem gmv upgrades for leaf rear utes
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give creative conversions at brendale a call , they will know ,
    Last edited by gaddy; 22nd May 2014 at 09:11 PM.
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Unaware you could for wagons, have only seem gmv upgrades for leaf rear utes
    Yep, I’m only aware of kits which can be used for GU leaf sprung utes. (Mine got me an extra 500kg). That’s not to say that coil sprung wagons can’t be upgraded, but the ‘engineering’ costs might be scary. It would be worth talking to an engineer in your area. He/She should be able to tell you what is possible & how to go about it. If you do follow up on this please could you report back here what you find out as I’m sure there will be others here interested too.
    FWIW my local springworks told me that they can upgrade the load carrying capacity of any vehicle (different to upgrading GVM). At the time he had a Volvo station wagon (coil sprung) with 25x 30kg batteries in the back & sitting nice & level!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Statewide 4x4 in Melbourne do the gvm upgrades to gu wagon but it costs $3500ish...
    It sounds like a load of work too. They can't supply a DIY kit either it has to be done in house.
    Not only springs and shocks but coil tower bracing, diff laminating... Could be a week long job plus a drive to Victoria!
    Anyone please in Qld?
    GQ Wagon 4.2 carb 4inch lift of the road resting
    GU Rd28 Wagon 2 inch lift on the road now daily driver
    D22 Navara ZD30- in rehab pending being moved on.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IMO if you cant tour safely in a GU wagon and I'll say two up and stay legal you may have the wrong Vehicle.
    See it all to often here of PPl buying campers and caravans up to their towing limit before they set of..
    Pack smart and travel light, less wear and tear on everyone, and take your time you'll see more.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard something interesting at the Febrary meeting of the NSW ACT 4WD Association. A fellow who works at RMS in NSW stood up and gave a talk. He said there is no such thing as GVM for a passenger vehicle according to ADRs. GVM only applies to commercial vehicles. One of the guys in the audience then said he had just spent $3000 odd upgrading his GVM on a Patrol and the RMS fellow said he had wasted his money. I really dont know for sure. I tried to look up ADRs but can't understand all the mumbo jumbo.

This was from the horses's mouth and he even said that most of his workmates at RMS and state police don't fully understand some of the ADRs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

GU CAMPER (23rd May 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    I heard something interesting at the Febrary meeting of the NSW ACT 4WD Association. A fellow who works at RMS in NSW stood up and gave a talk. He said there is no such thing as GVM for a passenger vehicle according to ADRs. GVM only applies to commercial vehicles. One of the guys in the audience then said he had just spent $3000 odd upgrading his GVM on a Patrol and the RMS fellow said he had wasted his money. I really dont know for sure. I tried to look up ADRs but can't understand all the mumbo jumbo.

This was from the horses's mouth and he even said that most of his workmates at RMS and state police don't fully understand some of the ADRs.
    Hmm..

That sound sus!

Why then when I got my vehicle re registered in NSW did I have to go to the weigh bridge and get a fare weight to ensure I was not over GVM and why is GVM on our rego forms, even as a non commercial vehicle.

Not questioning what this guy told you, just questioning his facts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    IMO if you cant tour safely in a GU wagon and I'll say two up and stay legal you may have the wrong Vehicle.
    See it all to often here of PPl buying campers and caravans up to their towing limit before they set of..
    Pack smart and travel light, less wear and tear on everyone, and take your time you'll see more.
    Spot on TD although I'm going to be close to the limit.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard