Thread: Recovery Points, 1 or 2, and bridle recovery straps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recovery Points, 1 or 2, and bridle recovery straps

Hi all,

I am very new to this game and haven't been off road as such yet, but am learning a bit as I read the forum.

I have bought a Warn recovery kit, and am now looking at getting either 1 or 2 recovery points. I have the following questions for you:

Surely with one recovery point a snatch recovery might damage the chassis?
    With two recovery points surely the load to the chassis would be halved (if equally snatched as opposed to offset)?
    Is using 2 and a bridle recovery strap a much better option?

I like the idea of 2, but that will double the price, so your thoughts most appreciated.

Also which brand of recovery point is best, or are they all much of a muchness?

And my apologies now if this has already been covered before.

cheers
    Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    what do you drive
    and what motor ??
    Last edited by threedogs; 18th May 2014 at 04:44 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    what do you drive
    and what motor ??

Hi mate, its a Gu8 2012 3000cc Diesel Wagon, cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to threedogs i have my recovery points sorted and am now wanting your advice regarding a bridle strap?

Any good ones to have, or bad ones to avoid?

thanks
    Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just make sure its tagged with a SWL higher the better , some PPL have even had cable ones made just to suit their needs and Patrol.
    As with any recovery equipment if it looks suss throw it out, Using the bridle ensures you pull evenly which is good .
    and NEVER EVER be tempted to use the TOWBALL as a place for recovery IT WILL KILL
    For rear recovery points stuff the strap inside the hitch receiver and use the Pin supplied
    or buy one of those Billet numbers with the bright yellow shackle.
    Join a club , pay for a recovery course or go out with someone who has experience and can pass that on to you.
    Must be a Sth Aust meet up soon Just cause its there doesn't mean you have to drive it take the "B" track until you feel more confident
    Buy yourself a recovery bag with all the straps, shackels and snatch blocks already in a neat canvas carry bag.
    Ironman are a Vendor here that sell great recovery kits

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the whole set up needs to be considered as a package that works togetherBindi..threedogs has tested his recovery points to destruct so look up the thread on that or pm him about thatbut it is pretty high...I got them also because of that...then the bridle needs to be able to line pull the potential weight of the car loaded up plus I would allow about 25% more for suction etc ...you will need to use a running snatch block on the bridle and that also needs to be able to cope with the potential line pull....the sheave on that will determine the size of the rope on the bridle (they should match) and providing the rope at that size is up to the line pull...the snatch block will act as an equalizer as it runs along the bridle thereby halving the size of the rope needed on the bridle and allowing a smaller set up (the snatch block cannot be halved though)..I prefer to use a wire rope for this with eyelets in the ends and shackles connected that meets potential line pull...it is a guessing game because potential line pull is hard to calculate due to different states of suction and circumstances..you will eventually know when to go to the winch.....if you set it up properly , you will reduce potential damage and injury...the recovery points you got are a good start...I hope you understand all this ...cheers
    the one thing wrong with middle age ...is knowing you will grow out of it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by menace 2 View Post
    the whole set up needs to be considered as a package that works togetherBindi..threedogs has tested his recovery points to destruct so look up the thread on that or pm him about thatbut it is pretty high...I got them also because of that...then the bridle needs to be able to line pull the potential weight of the car loaded up plus I would allow about 25% more for suction etc ...you will need to use a running snatch block on the bridle and that also needs to be able to cope with the potential line pull....the sheave on that will determine the size of the rope on the bridle (they should match) and providing the rope at that size is up to the line pull...the snatch block will act as an equalizer as it runs along the bridle thereby halving the size of the rope needed on the bridle and allowing a smaller set up (the snatch block cannot be halved though)..I prefer to use a wire rope for this with eyelets in the ends and shackles connected that meets potential line pull...it is a guessing game because potential line pull is hard to calculate due to different states of suction and circumstances..you will eventually know when to go to the winch.....if you set it up properly , you will reduce potential damage and injury...the recovery points you got are a good start...I hope you understand all this ...cheers
    Yep thanks Menace,

I have a Warn recovery kit on its way to me with a 8000kg snatch strap, rated shackles and gloves in a pretty little bag. I have the recovery points coming from threedogs, and will now have a look for a bridle strap. I have a DrAir 150 compressor coming too, so reckon if I get some treds or maxtrax I should be reasonably well equipped for the occasional trip off the tarmac?

cheers
    Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You sound like you have all the gear, most or a lot of ppl get stuck because they forget to air down before selecting 4WD
    start at 25psi and if things get tuff right down to 12-14 psi is not out of the question. and don't forget to re inflate your tyres to HWY pressures before you leave.
    Also wipe all lens's and numberplates with a wet rag as Mr Plodd loves dirty 4x4s

10. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

bindi (19th May 2014)