User Tag List

Thread: In dash GPS....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In dash GPS....

Has anyone seen or played with one of these, and as a matter of interest, what are Sygic maps like????

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XTRONS-An...c590c31&_uhb=1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Sygic maps on a previous Android device and they were ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

clubbyr8 (30th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i was reading a thread the other day and someone brought up the fact that on some units you can only have either GPS or music,not both at the same time.Which can be a pita if traveling and want to listen to music as well as have a map.Only telling you this incase you did not know.not sure if this one does both,just putting it out there.
    Cheers
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

clubbyr8 (30th May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of those GPS/music units on the market today will "soften" the music to make GPS announcements, then turn the music back up again. My old unit (just shat itself after two years) had separate volume setting for the GPS and all other outputs (radio, music, DVD and USB and SD card), would turn the music etc down, make the GPS announcement at a volume I had preset, then straight back to "normal programming".

Re Sygic, as mentioned it is OK, but has occasional flaws. The best street by street software I have used is IGO 8, (have used Sygic, Tom Tom and Navman and other free Android download software). A site worth a visit is fixmygps .

I now rely on my 10" tablet for mapping software and my stereo unit for radio and music, separate old Nokia Bluetooth handsfree unit takes care of the phone.
    Last edited by TimE; 18th May 2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

clubbyr8 (30th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clubbyr8 View Post
    Has anyone seen or played with one of these, and as a matter of interest, what are Sygic maps like????
    I have been using that exact unit for a few months now.
    It had to go back to the factory for warranty once but they were pretty good to deal with if a bit slooooooowwwwwwwwwwww.
    The tablet screen is terrible when docked as it reflects everything and isn't very bright in the first place
    In the daytime it is like a mirror and all you can see is the passenger seat back (or the passengers boobies if you are that lucky)
    Other than that it does everything it claims quite well

Mapping - there are two mapping data suppliers for OZ, Sensis and Navteq. The navigation dudes all buy the data from one or the other of these sources
    Anecdotally, Sensis is better for City data and Navteq for remote but you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.
    The maps for a particular vector mapping software such as Sygic/Route 66/Navman/Igo etc therefore mainly revolve around two other variables
    The GUI that the software package uses to present the maps and how often IE how much money the software owner gives to update his mapping

Quote Originally Posted by wa 489 View Post
    i was reading a thread the other day and someone brought up the fact that on some units you can only have either GPS or music,not both at the same time.Which can be a pita if traveling and want to listen to music as well as have a map.Only telling you this incase you did not know.not sure if this one does both,just putting it out there.
    Cheers
    That was me... many of the cheaper Windows and Android based head units are not Dual Zone
    IE if you are listening to the radio or SD card or whatever and switch to the Nav screen then the "music" stops.
    Yes you will here a GPS instruction but if you are using the unit for offroad navigation/mapping that doesn't help

When buying one of those Head Units you need to check that it is a "dual zone" unit.
    These will display the navigation but keep playing the Radio/CD/SD card music
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Avo (18th May 2014), clubbyr8 (30th May 2014)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run sygic with my Samsung Tab2 - 7" (and play music), off road I run oziE.

Its ok
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GQ TANK For This Useful Post:

clubbyr8 (30th May 2014)