Thread: Diesel particulate filter?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    It might seem like environmental rubbish but diesel particulate matter is a carcinogen, particularly harmful and has been recognised as such. I have no issue with something that is designed to reduce the damage that diesel particulate matter might do to the lungs of my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    I understand what your saying mate but petrols create carbon monoxide which isn't good for anyone either. Things like oil aren't good for you either. When I say envirnomental rubbish is the offset of something a dpf worth added environmental costs of the materials used?? It's like electric cars mate there are some serious chemicals and materials used in those that aren't good for the environment but there is less pollution coming out the tail pipe. Is there enough offset?

If you really looked into what's good and what's bad for you, you would never leave your house.
    Last edited by nissannewby; 18th May 2014 at 07:44 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wondered what all the signs for Add Blue were at servos......now I know! LOL

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    I understand what your saying mate but petrols create carbon monoxide which isn't good for anyone either. Things like oil aren't good for you either. When I say envirnomental rubbish is the offset of something a dpf worth added environmental costs of the materials used?? It's like electric cars mate there are some serious chemicals and materials used in those that aren't good for the environment but there is less pollution coming out the tail pipe.
    I hear you mate. I wasn't having a go. Just seeing as much diesel soot and crap on the window sills at my old place (that was nearby to a freeway) as we did makes me thankful for the more widespread use of such catalytic converters in diesels. The gasses and stuff aren't good but the micro particles can be particularly nasty.
    One of the reasons I wanted to move from that house.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

nissannewby (18th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    I wondered what all the signs for Add Blue were at servos......now I know! LOL

Yeah... that means they have Adblue available and often in a pump supply so the truckies can fill their Adblue tanks at the bowser instead of arrsing around with containers.
    That type of technology to reduce particulates is heaps better than a hi-temp soot burner but it isn't really viable in a car or even a light truck.
    Uses too much space and is too complex. Works OK in the big rigs 'cept the dicking around pisses the drivers off hence the addition of pump dispensers at the truck stops etc.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    rebuilt and cleaned the thread guys, very interesting. thanks for the contributions from all.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Isuzu trucks we have at work all have this DPF feature. And every now and then they need to burn it off. There is 2 modes, green and orange. Orange mode is when you have to pull over and park the truck and let it burn off and green is where you can keep driving while it's burning off. If you miss some of these burn offs the truck goes into limp mode and does not let you go over 40kmh. Sometime it's a PITA as it wants to do its thing at the most awkward times, but yeah.

We are not allowed to park anywhere near grass or anything that can catch fire easily as the exhaust gets super hot while this thing does it's burn off.
    2005 TD42TI

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yeah... that means they have Adblue available and often in a pump supply so the truckies can fill their Adblue tanks at the bowser instead of arrsing around with containers.
    That type of technology to reduce particulates is heaps better than a hi-temp soot burner but it isn't really viable in a car or even a light truck.
    Uses too much space and is too complex. Works OK in the big rigs 'cept the dicking around pisses the drivers off hence the addition of pump dispensers at the truck stops etc.
    The tech is called SCR or Selective Catalytic Reduction and Adblue or urea solution is used to reduce NOx content and not PM (Particulate matter or soot) however both can be directly related as efforts to limit one increases the other.

Also this type of technology is already available in cars as well e.g. Mercedes Benz "BlueTEC" engines , BMW and VW have similar stuff.

I hate to say it but what is coming to Diesels is going to be their death knell especially in private passenger vehicles as the costs of operating them will outweigh the benefits.

Here is the latest craze coming if not there already to Diesel engines near you: SCR, EGR, DOC, DPF and AHI all working together to makes sure that the air the engine inhales is dirtier and the one coming out of he exhaust pipe.

Downside is: say goodby to engines lasting 500,000 km with minimal maintenance costs...

Just guess why is Nissan so impotent in regards to Y62 and Diesel engine in it.

Australia is only catching up to this stuff but this is normal in the US, Japan and Euro nations.

Cheers
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 18th May 2014 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true Rumcajs. We have had to meet Euro 4 emissions since 2007 and hence why the TD42 could no longer be sold here. 2016 is the year when all new cars move to Euro 5 and then in 2017 the Euro 6 standards will be mandated. This will also mean the end of the ZD30 and probably the Y61 Patrol. What will replace it? By then all new diesels will have DPF's as the only way to meet emissions targets.

My CRD is already too complex.....might be looking at petrol or hybrid in the future.
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 3rd June 2014 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    John Cadogan method of presentation really annoys me, but he has some very poignant points about DPFs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOlDFFhuPM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12