Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel particulate filter?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (DPF) - do I have one?? LOL

Brad was looking at Penrite oil on the net and a few types said "not suitable for vehicles fitted with DPF" He'd never heard of it & as I'm the message courier I jump on here to ask the experts .

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 18th May 2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Rebuilt the thread
    NISSANS Rulz .... "Amelia" the 2006 4.2ltr Patrol Ute & "Seamus" the 2008 3ltr Patrol Wagon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With clunkster, WTF is a particulate filter

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    or is it a particular filter???????

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to get testing done on site for diesel particulate so Im just guessing

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DPF- diesel particulate filter. Just more envirnomental rubbish that causes drama. In most cases it will have a regeneration cycle so when the soot load in the filter becomes high it uses temperature to then burn the carbon and "clean" the filter.
    As far as I know patrols don't have them, in aus anyway. I could be wrong do if anyone has info on if they do that would be great.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

2TROLLFAM (17th May 2014), growler2058 (17th May 2014), MudRunnerTD (18th May 2014)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know iveco trucks have them and from what I've herd you don't want to be parked on grass when it burns off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might seem like environmental rubbish but diesel particulate matter is a carcinogen, particularly harmful and has been recognised as such. I have no issue with something that is designed to reduce the damage that diesel particulate matter might do to the lungs of my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    With clunkster, WTF is a particulate filter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    It might seem like environmental rubbish but diesel particulate matter is a carcinogen, particularly harmful and has been recognised as such. I have no issue with something that is designed to reduce the damage that diesel particulate matter might do to the lungs of my kids. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Diesel particulate filter is just like a catalytic converter for petrols, its a catalyst to change harmful gases into neutral gases but mostly change them into water.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    Diesel particulate filter is just like a catalytic converter for petrols, its a catalyst to change harmful gases into neutral gases but mostly change them into water.
    You are correct but that describes a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) Filter.

Most versions of DPF's don't handle gases or water conversion as such. They are soot burners.
    They trap the soot in the filter and burn it off at high temps of either:
    600 degrees or higher (regeneration) which they achieve thru hi speed operation or raising EGT's by late fuel injection or injecting extra fuel
    Or...
    400 degrees or so by the use of a catalyst such as "adblue" which allows the lean off of the fuel to reduce soot and then the Adblue handles the spike in NOX because of the lean burn.
    Adblue (or it's counterparts) are in those placcy drums you sometimes see the truckies using when they fuel up.

Pretty sure thats the guts of it... could be wrong tho
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Rumcajs (18th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    You are correct but that describes a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) Filter.

Most versions of DPF's don't handle gases or water conversion as such. They are soot burners.
    They trap the soot in the filter and burn it off at high temps of either:
    600 degrees or higher (regeneration) which they achieve thru hi speed operation or raising EGT's by late fuel injection or injecting extra fuel
    Or...
    400 degrees or so by the use of a catalyst such as "adblue" which allows the lean off of the fuel to reduce soot and then the Adblue handles the spike in NOX because of the lean burn.
    Adblue (or it's counterparts) are in those placcy drums you sometimes see the truckies using when they fuel up.

Pretty sure thats the guts of it... could be wrong tho

Pretty much spot on there ET. However a diesel can run just a catalytic converter like a petrol then you move into the more involved DPF,DOC and adblue systems.
    Last edited by nissannewby; 18th May 2014 at 06:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast