Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maytown to Laura Track, Cape York, QLD

Many of you may have visited Cape York, done the Creb track and the Old Telegraph Line, but here are a few photos of another challenging little (76klms) track with a lot of history all wrapped up in the Palmer River Gold Fields. Maytown and the old Coach Track to Laura.

I've done the track a couple of times now and it is a lot of hard driving on rocks, in low range, but it has some spectacular scenery if your vehicle is set up to handle it. You don't need anything too special, as generally there is an easier route around most obstacles, but a 2 inch lift would take away some of the pain, as would a decent set of side-steps/sliders. I've included a few photos from the different trips to cover the area a bit better.

Access to Maytown is via the Peninsular Development Road, just short of Maitland Downs Station, South of the Palmer River and Lakeland Downs, and is a good dirt road for 80klms into the old township itself.

The road into Maytown.

The Palmer River Crossing. A few rocks, but nice and easy.

You can camp on the banks of the Palmer River itself, or...

at the North Palmer River.

Try that again...

The point where the Landy's winch stopped caring and packed it all in.

Camp Oven Pizza!!

Further to follow.
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 14th May 2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Changed thread title
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

gaddy (14th May 2014), Sherro (14th May 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Departing Maytown for Laura starts to get you up into the Sandstone Bluffs where much of the track was originally hand cut for the bullock carts.

Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

gaddy (14th May 2014), mudnut (14th May 2014), Sherro (14th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a fantastic looking track with beautiful scenery.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spectacular really.

I should add that the Cairns 4WD club rates it at a difficulty of 4/5, with some little diversions quite often requiring a winch up or a snag with a snatch strap.

It is very slow, takes ALL day and there is no camping once you start on the track itself. Get going from Maytown early and aim at making it to Laura by nightfall, or alternatively some stay at Jowalbinna Station, which has camping facilities. I have only ever done the track from South to North, and the first time, had to use the winch on that rock ledge jump up. There are some places where I would not want to run into oncoming traffic as it would be a nightmare to turn around or find somewhere wide enough to pull off the track.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

mudnut (14th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    great piece of history, did you wet a line?
    Great country that's for sure, thanks for sharing
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 719 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It`s a great track, we did it a few years back north to south with a camper in tow .
    I believe some body did it in a truck a couple of years back and destroyed all the tyres on the drive axle.
    If going to the cape this track and the history with in the gold fields is well worth the diversion
    Thanks for the memories Ben as it was a highlight of our trip to the cape

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing mate
    realy enjoy seeing this type
    of trip on here

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    great piece of history, did you wet a line?
    Great country that's for sure, thanks for sharing
    Didn't wet a line, although there were a few Sooties in the river, and could see quite a few Blue Claw yabbies too. When I cleaned out the camp oven the buggers were just about jumping into it to get at the scraps... Next time there will be an Opera House pot waiting.

@pearcy - the first time I did this track, we came across a bloke and his family towing a camper from North to the South by himself (no accompanying vehicle). He was in a stock standard Colorado and had obviously bashed it badly. The camper looked smacked around as well and his wife looked half terrified. He had taken the easier route and avoided that jump up in the Sandstone, but had no idea what he was still in for. It is not really a track that I would line up to take my camper on and it would certainly make the day a lot slower.

He still had his tyres at full pressure too which would have made for a hell of a rough trip! I ran the BFG KM2's at 20psi for most of the track just to soften the blows.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 719 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit I wouldn`t do it again and would not recommend it, but we did not have any problems apart from the missus getting out and walking a couple of times. Took us around 7 hours to go from Laura to Maytown which from memory is only about 40K and 15 of that is across grass lands. There were 4 vehicles 1 80 series 2 GQ`s and a GU and combined 4x4 experience of around 70years. Only 1 minor piece of damage were I took the bottom center rail out of my alloy bull bar
    My camper is an 1988 Track Shack and only ways in at 700KG fully loaded, this is because we travel light.

For some reason the first part of my post is missing.
    I said that I towed a camper from Laura to Maytown and I wouldn`t tow through there again. But I would defiantly go back and spend more time there
    Last edited by pearcey; 22nd May 2014 at 08:31 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pearcey For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (14th May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome,
    Thanks for sharing
    2004 GU111 4.2 TURBO WAGON, 2" OME SUSPENSION, 33" MTZ's, 3" BEAUDESERT EXHAUST, ARB ROOF RACK, ARB AWNING, BLACK WIDOW DRAW SYSTEM & CARGO BARRIER, DUAL BATTERIES, 12,000lb WINCH, GME UHF, LIGHT FORCE XGT SPOTTIES, BERRIMA DIESEL TUNE.