Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Telstra Ute Advice

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow one of these Canter500/600 with the Ambulance service body would be a bloody rippa mate!! Near ready to go!!

3538.jpg

You could spend some serious Coin though!!

armesz_fuso_canter_1.jpg
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Wow one of these Canter500/600 with the Ambulance service body would be a bloody rippa mate!! Near ready to go!!

3538.jpg

You could spend some serious Coin though!!

armesz_fuso_canter_1.jpg
    Not so squeezie but a great choice
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    The point I was trying to make is that the cumulative impact of rough roads driven regularly on a heavy Patrol could be mitigated to an extent by driving at a lower speed than 'to the conditions, if the driver has the 'luxury' of time.
    That's what I thought you said, there is nothing between the lines
    All I was saying our most memorable drive was the slowest
    Last edited by threedogs; 18th May 2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2002 4.2TD ex Telstra

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I am always somewhat perplexed about many points or solutions in discussions around mods and after market fixes to suspensions on heavily loaded vehicles of any description.

Pretty much the entire vehicle is engineered around the designed loads and then specified accordingly by the manuf. The braking system, transmission from clutch to wheel studs and every bit in between and of course the suspension.

The manuf then comes up with some figures such as GVM but is also very specific about loads on the particular axle groups.
    Now, of course the engineers have put in a design factor (same concept but not the same magnitude as a rated shackle for example) BUT remember strength increases weight, is expensive, reduces performance and affects fuel and emmissiosn so you can be assured they don't build in all that much overhead.

So these numbers become an equivalent to the SWL and everyone here knows what the response would be to someone who suggested we fudge SWL on Snatch Blocks, Shackles or whatever.

If a Ute is dragging it's arse like a dog with worms then something is wrong. OK, it may just be worn out springs so get them reset or go after market or whatever.

If you need to exceed the max manuf specified inflation pressure of tyres then something is wrong. OK, you may just need to change the tyre size or load rating BUT if those tyres are spec'd by the vehicle manuf then something is absolutely wrong (not saying thats what you did Cuppa just using an example)

If you carry a load that exceeds the weight allowed for the axle group then something is wrong. OK, thats easy to point the finger at the cause , its the operator.

My first point is that you can easily be under GVM but overload a Tray and therefore the rear axle especially if you have load levelling devices.
    Sure they make the vehicle steer a lot better and maybe even brake better but probably not by much and certainly not for long under repeated brake applications BUT the forces generated by the load still have to go somewhere and where they go is the spring hangers/towers, chassis rails, brake effort, increased torque loads in the diffs, axles etc, increased shear on the wheel studs etc just to rattle a few off.

In the last year I have had to deal with a Navara with a bent chassis (6 degrees) that never went anywhere near GVM loads but DID have very uneven loading practiced by the operators. I am still embroiled in a bitter dispute with another operator who cannot understand why you can't carry 11 people in a Troopy and an extra fuel tank and a steel winch bar and winch and 3 batteries and 200 KG on the roof and 150 KG under the troop seats and tow a trailer.

So... my second point. GVM upgrades are available. Some of the very modest ones require minimal engineering but still need attention regarding axle groups.
    Others require very intensive engineering and modifications to chassis, braking systems, transmission components etc.
    I believe that, for example, one figure is a minimum of 0.5 G braking at the new GVM
    That may entail new tyres, rims, brakes, rotors, booster etc etc

Bottom line is IMHO, rafa, you may need to consider that the Patrol is possibly not the right vehicle and an LR/MR or F Truck or whatever is more appropriate.
    I am a big fan of the Iveco Daily 4x4 Cab Chassis for example. I have been assisting in evaluation of these for Gov't here in WA and jeez, they are a very very capable bit of kit.
    Chasing extra GVM out of a Patrol can be a very expensive exercise on a $ per KG ratio.
    I just ordered a 4x4 dual cab Iveco. Thanks for the heads up on it. Extended test drive on rough corrugated roads was amazing. Standard equipment is unreal. So sadly the patrol days are numbered. Wonder if I can stay in this forum.

Thanks again.

Marty.
    2002 4.2TD ex Telstra

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rafa For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rafa View Post
    I just ordered a 4x4 dual cab Iveco. Thanks for the heads up on it. Extended test drive on rough corrugated roads was amazing. Standard equipment is unreal. So sadly the patrol days are numbered. Wonder if I can stay in this forum.

Thanks again.

Marty.
    Your very welcome to hang around Marty. Good luck with the new bus mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

rafa (1st June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to seeing pics of your new wheels.
    A mate is currently getting a single cab 4x4 Daily converted to a camper by TravelTrucks.

SM79.jpg http://traveltrucks.com.au
    Last edited by Cuppa; 1st June 2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added link

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

rafa (1st June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was amazed at what comes standard. Even has switch to turn off fan for deep water crossings. 3 air lockers standard and 2 air suspension seats plus 4 accros the back. I'm going to put my pod on the back so it's still sort of connected to this forum family.
    2002 4.2TD ex Telstra

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rafa For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (1st June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2002 4.2TD ex Telstra

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rafa For This Useful Post:

93patrol (14th July 2014), Avo (14th July 2014), threedogs (16th June 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    that looks the goods what is going to happen to the Patrol Cab chassis now, when its all repaired?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast