Thread: New Telstra Ute Advice

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Telstra Ute Advice

Hi Guys.

As you know I've been having a few issues lately with my. 02 42Td ex Telstra ute. While the engine etc is holding up well the rest of the ute is hurting with the week in week out rough work I need it to do.

I have to seriously look at upgrading ASAP and love the ute I have. So here's the thing I hear horror stories about the 3.0L ute but just wondered if they are justified.

I'm going to start looking at Pickles for a newer model but wondered if there was a particular year they got better or what I should look for.

I'm thinking buying at around 80,000 km and out of it 180,000 my 42td was fine up to 200K

I'll transfer over most of my mods to the new pod.

Any advice gratefully received.

Marty
    2002 4.2TD ex Telstra

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IMO you already have the best,,, you can beef up the chassis at the rear.
    You may have to upgrade your GVM rating, do you know what you weigh ATM
    I don't think buying newer will solve your problem, same weight smaller motor
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

rafa (14th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I agree. What damage are you sustaining? The TD you have is the ducks guts mate, you can do a few things to it and it will purr. It will still be good for another 300,000kms no problems.

Unless you need to turn it over for Tax reasons I'd be spending a little on it to brace the chassis weak points (you should do this with the new one anyway) and stick with the one you have.

What sort of tyre pressures are you running? Yours is a Leaf spring rear yes?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

rafa (14th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Ex Telstra will already have the necessary extra chassis bracing?

I also doubt that buying a newer Patrol will improve things except in the short term & would think that the money might be better spent on fixing/replacing what is worn/tired on the current vehicle. At least that way you still have a more readily fixable vehicle in remote areas.

As MR suggests, tyre pressure could be an issue, as could average speeds & driving style. If these are part of the story & you can’t afford to slow down then perhaps a replacement vehicle with a different suspension set up might be the go. Eg. OKA’s can go all day on the roughest roads at 100kph & cope well because of their suspension set up, but of course they still need good regular maintenance.

So what sort of things are you finding are becoming problems? I guess any vehicle which gets a hard life is going to deteriorate quicker than one which is mollycoddled.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

rafa (14th May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have to agree with you as does my wife.

I actually drive pretty steady. Usually 50-80 on gravel on sit at a 100 on hard top.

Tyres I run at 60 all round. ((Advice from tyreshop)

I'll know more when the mechanic call me tonight. (I'm still out bush)

Thanks Guys.

I think she's a keeper eh.

Maybe new suspension required.

What else can I replace in anticipation, I just need to reduce the risk of a failure like this so remote again.

Marty.
    2002 4.2TD ex Telstra

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wholly Bat Sh1t mate!!! What tyres are you running? Your tyre shop man is a Goose!! How much do you weigh?

Man I'd be at 25psi mate max. And that would be the hot temp. Wow you must be smashing your car to bits mate!!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

rafa (14th May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Air down to 25 when you hit the gravel and airup when you hit the had top

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Wholly Bat Sh1t mate!!! What tyres are you running? Your tyre shop man is a Goose!! How much do you weigh?

Man I'd be at 25psi mate max. And that would be the hot temp. Wow you must be smashing your car to bits mate!!!
    Not sure what the pod weighs. But 200L fuel 85L fridge plus honda gen and about 200Kg tools n stuff. Oh and added roof top tent

What would you run on bitumen.

I have a tyredog pressure monitor and hot pressure gets up to high 60's

I have split rims and Kenda tyres
    2002 4.2TD ex Telstra

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How are your tyres wearing? How many kms on them?

If they are wearing in the middle then they are over inflated.

I would have them at at least 45

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    How are your tyres wearing? How many kms on them?

If they are wearing in the middle then they are over inflated.

I would have them at at least 45
    Pretty even. I think he was saying the higher pressure would attract less tyre wall damage / punctures, but if it's shaking my ute to buts I'll drop the pressure like a hot rock.

I'm not a mechanic so just go with what I know.
    2002 4.2TD ex Telstra

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast