Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    OK (bear with me it has been a few years and then some since my brief but stellar career with Telstrasux)

Calls to a Telstra Mobile Satellite service (Iridium National Footprint) from a Telstra Mobile OR a Telstra Homeline

We charge you the following for a call from a mobile service to a Telstra Mobile
    Satellite service in Australia with
    014710, 014711, 0141712, 014714, 014715,014716 or 014718 prefix Telstra Mobile Satellite number in Australia

Connection fee 40¢
    Call charge (per 30 seconds or part thereof) 80¢

Charges may be subject to bonus option or other discount, as determined by the caller’s mobile service plan.

A couple of points to note...
    Those are Telstra prices so other carriers may charge HEAPS more.
    I am in no way a telco dude these days so don't bank 100% on those prices but I am pretty sure they are currrent.

This sounds like what it was like when mobile phones first came out..... except cheaper.. you would not know about this Winnie as you are a little wee buby !!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Essentially the "0147" triggers the premium service charges in the billing system so depending on your "plans and bundles" it will probably be cheaper for wifey to ring you.

Be aware that if the call doesn't connect it should (or at least it used to) lodge a missed call message which costs you 50 cents (give or take) PLUS you need to access the message at your Satellite Rate to get the message to see who it was.

I just ignore messages but you still get the lodgement charge (assuming that is still the current way of doing things).
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Essentially the "0147" triggers the premium service charges in the billing system so depending on your "plans and bundles" it will probably be cheaper for wifey to ring you.

Be aware that if the call doesn't connect it should (or at least it used to) lodge a missed call message which costs you 50 cents (give or take) PLUS you need to access the message at your Satellite Rate to get the message to see who it was.

I just ignore messages but you still get the lodgement charge (assuming that is still the current way of doing things).
    Thanks for your help ET. Yep so it's cheaper for the misses to call me...great...lol

I'm pretty sure I get the lodgement charge as well.

Thanks mate!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy you have a text message?? Your going to hurt me aren't you !!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    Andy you have a text message?? Your going to hurt me aren't you !!
    Text messages cost the sender about 10 bucks each... You idiot!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

AB (13th May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's the same text format and algorithm we used back in the 90's...nightmare...lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A heads up for anyone using $10 a month Telstra SIM in Sat phones like I do.

If you make/receive any Sat calls on a trip or register onto the Irridium system IE turn your Sat Phone on, don't forget to take the SIM card out and wack it in a mobile when you are finished your trip and make it register back on the NextG network.

If you don't the number stays as last registered to the Satellite system and any SMS or calls that divert are charged at Telstra Satellite rates.
    Because the call gets "answered" and then diverted if the phone is off it still incurs the connection charge.
    A couple of wrong numbers or messages (even from Telstra) and it is easy to run up 10 or 20 bucks.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

AB (27th July 2014), Clunk (27th July 2014), GU CAMPER (27th July 2014), MudRunnerTD (26th July 2014), oncedisturbed (27th July 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice one ET...

For anyone who remembers I had issues with my docking station, it has just been fixed under warranty and is being sent back now at no charge thank god, they had to replace the main PCB.

I can't really say why this happened on a public forum but if anyone is about to purchase one and install it then PM me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jeez, I forgot to get back to you about what I thought it may have been when we were chatting at Dalhousie

PM sent

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers AB,
    We have just bought ours as well, have charged it ready to leave on Saturday.
    Was wondering about the call chargers as well.
    Good question, well asked!
    2006 GUIV DX 4.2 TDI Ute, Bullbar with Warn winch, Narva round spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, 2 x Narva spotties an 80W solor panel on roof, Custom tray, 3" Redback exhaust, Bluemax 2 - EGT/Boost Oil press/Temp and dual volt gauges, Lifted, front locked and fully loaded......
    If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardyards For This Useful Post:

AB (27th July 2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12