Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grenade finally blew

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grenade finally blew

Unfortunate i do not got on here as often as I like and most of the time I am lurking.

Anyway the grenade finally blew on my 02 patrol 305k on the clock. Really does suck!.. Was expecting it
    As I not fully mechanical minded it had to go the shop which I have given them he go a head to pull he engine out! And officially tell me.
    I only replaced the turbo less than 12 months ago so it has taken a really big hit to me with hope in patrols let alone cars in general! Especially when both times it broke down I wasn't driving!..
    I do know that if I fix it which is looking at around $7000 to fix that I can then and shouldn't have a problem selling it off for $19,000 especially since even the mechanic said it is a shame because the rest of the car is on really good nick(except the paint)
    I just don't know what I am meant to do as it seems I am always spending money on cars!. Do I rebuild then keep it or maybe I should sell it and just use my push bike (seems more reliable), but then I have the problem with how to tow my camper trailer around!..

Any help with how I can would be greatly appreciated

I am just south of tweed heads New South Wales.
    Simon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mate, no matter what way you go, you will be loosing money on it. did you have NADS done on it? if your considering keeping it, look at how much it will cost to put in a TD42, and the difference between fixing it or replacing the engine MAY not be too far apart.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah had the nads kit in it!

And the td42 would cost round $9000 from memory and as I am short for cash that might be out of the option!.

And all cars you lose money on but for some reason this seems to be the worst I with the number of cars I have owned!..

Thanks for the reply tho

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamdjbilo View Post

And the td42 would cost round $9000 from memory and as I am short for cash that might be out of the option!.

And all cars you lose money on but for some reason this seems to be the worst I with the number of cars I have owned!..

Thanks for the reply tho
    can you afford to take it off the road and do it on your own time? another member on here is currently doing an engine swap from a wrecked car he bought. hes taken the car offroad for 12 months to do the whole process himself... that would save you a bit of coin if you have to time to keep the car off the road for abit
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,337 Times in 6,451 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about this bud, always a bummer when crap like this will happen.
    A few ways at looking at it mate. If the engine was good firstly. Did you want to keep the car? And with the engine now how it is. Do you want to keep the car? If no to either, sell it as is I reckon and cut your losses. Or fix as cheap as possible and then sell it. If you want to keep the car I would seriously consider looking at the TD42t conversion. It could probably be done for around the 10k mark and the motor will still be running in even with 300thou on the clock. Or look at a second hand 3ltr motor, same again though. Are you just buying a grenade that just hasn't gone off yet? More coin to lay out but if you want to keep the car, thats what I would do... I have spent I reckon close to purchase price on my car since owning it. I have NO intentions of ever selling it so what I spend doesn't matter. Just a way of looking at it I suppose.

Cheers.
    Mark.
    Last edited by mudski; 12th May 2014 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,337 Times in 6,451 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamdjbilo View Post

Thanks for the reply tho
    Any 4wd is just a money pit mate. Doesn't matter what brand it is.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    a shame to hear it went bang,,, surely a fresh motor with Nads would be fine
    Touch wood but I have just over 200,000 and never laid a spanner on it other than
    services and changing an alternater
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to here about your engine Team not a good thing at all. I still think just NADS is not enough, I did the glow plug mod on mine also, and i'm glad I did, when I removed the glow plugs one had just lost a small piece off the tip, my glow up is now 30 seconds apposed to the original 5 minutes, and she starts perfectly on a cold morning

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for 7g theres a td42t waiting for you to install and by doing this you should get back about $2 for every $1 you spend on this conversion
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the replys

Everyone I talked to has said the same and said buy the td42 said spend the extra money!.. I suppose the question I have is as I have a turbo which I replaced in August September on the zd30 so could I use it with the td42 and also I have. Tig welded intercooler or should I sell them off or use them on the td42 if they compatible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast