Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swags?

Hey folks,

Anyone got any specific feedback on swags?
    Looking to buy one each for hubby & me (seems more versatile than a double) and also my nephew (age 12) for a trip next year.
    The trip is Adelaide - Oodnadatta Track - Lake Eyre - Oodnadatta - Alice Springs - East McDonnell Ranges - Ayers rock - Olgas - Palm Valley - Valley of the winds - Kings canyon - Cooper Pedy - Adelaide (order no confirmed).
    Plan is to take about 3 weeks to do it, but mostly one night in each place, so swags just make more sense.

As we have a good size roof rack (2.4m x 1.8m), we'll prob get a bag for it, and pop the swags up in the bag. Although having said that, without the tent and 3 mattresses, we may have space in the back for it.

Anyways, less of my rambling! Any thoughts on specific brands/models of swags that are good, or those to avoid? Pretty limited budget, but wanna be comfy!

Trace
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a swag bought it second hand off a mate for $100 it's a good quality heavy duty canvas. I like it for short trips slept in summer with just the fly up sept in pouring rain and winter with it all zipped up and was comfy enough.
    They are quick to set up but I will say the take up a surprising amount of space and you may find a pop up tent will suit your needs more as it will take up less space than 3 swags and a decent swag in $200 each so cheaper too!
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is an amazing trip! I did that about 5 years ago. Highlight was Palm Valley for sure.

3 swags takes up a bucket of room!! Lots!

I would be thinking an OzTent or some form of turbo tent for sure. Maybe an awning on the side of he car and a stretcher and the nephew can do the swag but 3swags takes a heap of room, you can travel much more compact than that.

You can also get a companion OzTent type that will add a second smaller tent to the awning if the OzTent. I say OzTent and have one but you can get cheaper Chinese copies these days if you need too. If you decide you want to stay a second day you can leave your tent up, I would not leave my Swag setup on a trip like that though.

Check the size of your rack too, it sounds a little big? I expect it is only 1200 wide not 1800?

Have a great trip though! Sounds great! I had a very memorable time.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

tracemul7 (9th May 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MudRunner - we actually have a BlackWolf turbo tent at the moment. But that plus 3 mattresses and 3 sleeping bags also takes up a fair bit of space.
    Thinking something easier to put up and take down ..... but sounds like we might not save on space.

Our BlackWolf has tons of room for the 3 of us and all our crap, but it still takes time to setup beds etc. We were thinking of rolling up the sleeping bags inside the swags and popping them on the roof.

And yep, maybe the rack is 1200 wide ... it's the biggest Rhino alloy tray .... I may have been guessing on the size :P
    It was pretty much the full size of the roof on our GQ .... hasn't been on the GU yet!
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For a family of three doing that kind of trip have a look at the wildcountry tourier 320.

I recently got one and will be using it for our trip to the Simpson.

Perfect for your size family, packs up well and takes five minutes to set up.

You could run a double bed at the back, nephew one side and free space on the side of centre pole.

Or run singles each side of pole and nephew at rear with ample storage.

I've used it a few times now and it's a huge winner for ease of set up, price and packing.

http://m.raysoutdoors.com.au/Product...-Person/252827

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd be sticking with the black wolf and learn to Pack Better they are a great tent and serve you well. By the end of the first week you won't give it a second thought and be very pleased you stuck with it.

4 pegs, lift and click! Happy days. 3 single self inflating mattresses for the win and you will travel in comfort.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Figure out which side your nephew will sit in the back and unbolt the other seat. Do to have a cargo barrier? The inflating beds in the back because should the worse happen they won't hurt you

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I'd be sticking with the black wolf and learn to Pack Better they are a great tent and serve you well. By the end of the first week you won't give it a second thought and be very pleased you stuck with it.

4 pegs, lift and click! Happy days. 3 single self inflating mattresses for the win and you will travel in comfort.
    Maybe i'm under a very false impression that swags would save us time/effort ..... hmmmm.
    I haven't slept in one, nor have i seen anyone set one up .... so I might be being unrealistic.

We have the Black Wolf Turbo Lite 240 plus .... so 6 pegs ... but yeah, very quick to put up. And yep, got self inflating mattresses too ... wild country 4x4 ones - pretty thick, but then also take up a fair bit of room.

Ok, so now i'm reviewing my thoughts :P Thanks!
    Last edited by tracemul7; 9th May 2014 at 10:20 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Figure out which side your nephew will sit in the back and unbolt the other seat. Do to have a cargo barrier? The inflating beds in the back because should the worse happen they won't hurt you
    Yep, we have a cargo barrier, and usually remove the other seat to give extra room in the back
    Usually we put the mats and our clothes bags and pillows etc next to him too.

Most trips we're usually carrying extra crap, but we're travelling with friends, so going to be really specific about who is bringing what, in the hope that we minimise wasted space.

We also have a fridge installed on a slide, but no cage around it, so currently can't open it when we're packed up. That will change before this trip, so that will also simplify things

Maybe we just go with packing smart with our current kit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So thik about what you will pack on top of the fridge. Something light but big and can be removed in a single lift out.a clothes bag or mattress is the go because its not a chore to take out to get to your fridge.

Alternatively, remove one seat and re-mount the fridge without the slide on the floor in lieu of the seat in the back.a couple of tie down points using the seat bolt locations and your set. It does not need to side because you have direct access to the fridge. Works a treat. Then tubs in the back are your friend.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast