Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swags?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swags by all means have there uses. But a 3 week trip... Yea no thanks.

You have no dress room, so if it's raining you gotta get dressed laying down..

You'll dressing from the back of the car, another pita..

Definitely take the tent.
    The 10-15 mins put uo and tear down is nothing, you just have to pack smart.
    A small bag of clothes each and a 4th for dirty clothes. So when you come past a laundry it's ready to go.

Not sure of your setup, we live from the back of our car, we have a small table for gas cooker to sit on, fridge in the back and pantry is in the draw system.

So once our tent is up, clothes into the tent and once beds are uo were enjoying a coldie..

Imo, tent
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

tracemul7 (9th May 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    So thik about what you will pack on top of the fridge. Something light but big and can be removed in a single lift out.a clothes bag or mattress is the go because its not a chore to take out to get to your fridge.

Alternatively, remove one seat and re-mount the fridge without the slide on the floor in lieu of the seat in the back.a couple of tie down points using the seat bolt locations and your set. It does not need to side because you have direct access to the fridge. Works a treat. Then tubs in the back are your friend.
    Good suggestion ..... will have to measure up the space for the fridge in the back seat ...... i'm pretty sure the fridge would be too big.
    We have the IronMan 65L Dual Zone.
    But if it would fit, that would be a perfect spot!

Usually the bulky stuff (stove, boxes etc) go next to the fridge and then gazebo and tent go across the top of it all. Gazebo won't be going with us, as we're looking at a roof bar mounted awning. Think i might start playing around with where it all goes between now and then Lucky we have until March next year to play around with it all.
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always pack a spare pillow case with my clothes. Makes a Great dirty clothes bag back into the bag.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th May 2014), tracemul7 (9th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What Westy said x 2

Getting undressed laying down can be done in seconds between consenting adults... getting dressed is doable but a PIA and also attracts a crowd because of the curious shapes the swag gets into.

I'm getting old and soft so when I am swagging it I also take a fold up camp stretcher and the swag goes on that.
    Very comfy and the stretcher doesn't take up any room really but the swag does, thats for sure.
    My limit is 3 or at most 4 nights
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th May 2014), tracemul7 (9th May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an ultima swag, I have travels around the country a few times with it for work and never had a drama

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Matty852 For This Useful Post:

tracemul7 (9th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply, that Black Wolf tent you have is specifically made for trips like the one you have planned.
    After a week on the road, you will be wondering what you were thinking wanting to take swags.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

tracemul7 (9th May 2014)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soooo, we decided to keep with the tent, and replace our camping mats with some that roll up smaller

As we're going with friends, we told them, and they have also come to the same conclusion after realising how chunky the swags are when packed up!

Now we start planning our trip in more detail and getting excited
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tracemul7 For This Useful Post:

Stropp (15th June 2014), Woof (15th June 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you have made the decision, still plenty to sort before you go tho.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have had my swag for 20 years and even took it on a similar trip to yours when I did some work out at Dalhousie Springs. A few things I have learnt over the years.

1) Yes, swags take up space, but remember they replace your tent, sleeping bag, pillow and camp stretcher/mattress, so end up being roughly the same size and weight as using a tent. Plus they are simple to set up at the end of a long day (often in the dark) and I can go to sleep looking up at the stars.
    2) Have a look around at different swags, then go to a good canvas place and have one made up to your specifications (width/length) from quality canvas, mosquito mesh and zippers.
    3) When you get it home, set your swag up under the sprinkler, let it dry, then repeat a couple of times.
    4) Then go to Clark rubber and buy a good foam mattress at the density you prefer plus a comfort overlay (egg carton like foam stuff).
    5) My only other word of advice on swags is regarding the poles you see these days. While I got my swag made before these were commonplace, I had two tabs attached to the head of the swag. At the end of the day I just clip these onto my roobar or a tree and I sit back laughing at the young blokes trying to work out where they left their swag poles or trying to fix a broken one in the bush.
    The only downside for me is when I get home it takes me a couple of nights to get used to sleeping in a bed again and rolling my swag out on the floor of the bedroom is not good for a marriage lol.
    2011 GU Patrol ST ute, 3.0L CRD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 compact stretcher beds and self inflating mattress are reasonably compact and comfortable.

In answer to the original question "Darche Swags" are a good quality swag.
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast