Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backpacker around the country

Hi guys !

You can read my introduction if you want.
    To be quickly my wife and me arrive in October for 1 year (I hope more if we find jobs) and we want discover your big country (as tall as europe ......)
    I have a question, maybe THE question :
    I hesitate between Landcruiser HDJ80 and a Patrol with 4.2 motor. After reflexion I think take a Patrol, BUT which motor ??? 4.2 petrol ou diesel with or without turbo ???
    Which of this 3 motors is the more safe (reliable?? sorry for my english) and easier to fix if I have a problem ?

In France we don't have this motor and I have no informations here. My dad had a 4.2D (without turbo) when I was in Africa.

Thnaks for ur help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hi mate,

i am by no means an expert but i have owned the TB42(petrol) and now own a ZD30. the ZD30 doesnt even compare to the TD42's, but now having a diesel i would always choose one over a petrol 4wd. Im assuming you are buying a GQ? if you go the non turbo GQ you wont regret it(depending on how much you have to spend) although you just wont get there quick. plenty of low down torque no where near as bad a fuel economy as the TB42. also diesel is available everywhere in the country. if you can afford the extra cash go for a turbo'd GQ TD42, the are the cherry on the cake in the GQ world although they are highly sought after and you wont find anything worth buying for under $10k. apart from that youll just have to wait for some more expert advice where some of the other members get on.

also, when your over here make sure you keep your eye on the forum and stick your head in at one of the meetups while your in oz, its always good to meet new blokes with different experiences.

cheers

nic
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (9th May 2014), threedogs (9th May 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok mate, thank you for yor first response.
    If I understood the TD42 it's the best compromise but I don't think my finance give me the choice ... $10K it's so expansive for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy set up ex backpacker patrol already setup with everything you'll need for a reasonable price just get onto backpacker websites and/or gumtree.com.au and search for nissan patrols for sale and this will give you an idea of what s floating about. You can refine the search to which City you are flying into. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For reliability you can't go past the TD42, as rusty said you won't be breaking land speed records but you will have the power and the confidence that it won't leave you on the side of the road.

Price wise they can be more expensive but if you keep looking around chances are you will be able to find a good deal on a gq, I found my td42 turbo for sale for 6k it just took a lot of patience and searching to be able to find one that fitted my price range.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Matty852 For This Useful Post:

French (8th August 2014)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI ! I arrive in 2 months and I have not decided yet ... I read very differents opinion ... Maybe the most simple is to buy an old backpacker patrol with roof tent for example.
    Just an other question : I see many Holden Jackaroo onto gumtree. What is it ? Impossible to have intel in France ? Juste on 1 oz website, and if I understood it's a Suzuki 4wd and the most reliability is the petrol and absolutely not the diesel.
    I ask because the price is very interesting.
    Or maybe a Land cruiser ... but the patrol is my first choice.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate and welcome to the forum, unless you have bucket loads of cash do not buy a petrol, pay a bit extra and get a diesel patrol, may initially cost more but cheaper on fuel and better resale value, spend some time and look around before you decide and good luck with the search.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    HI ! I arrive in 2 months and I have not decided yet ... I read very differents opinion ... Maybe the most simple is to buy an old backpacker patrol with roof tent for example.
    Just an other question : I see many Holden Jackaroo onto gumtree. What is it ? Impossible to have intel in France ? Juste on 1 oz website, and if I understood it's a Suzuki 4wd and the most reliability is the petrol and absolutely not the diesel.
    I ask because the price is very interesting.
    Or maybe a Land cruiser ... but the patrol is my first choice.
    The Holden Jackeroo is known elsewhere in the world as an Isuzu Trooper, I know nothing about them so can't give you any info unfortunately.

Really it all depends on what you want to do and where you want to go and what your budget is. All petrol patrols, infact all petrol 4x4's are pretty thirsty.....Diesels are generally more expensive to buy and will have to be serviced more often but will cost less in fuel.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi French, the Holden Jackeroos are built by Isuzu for Holden so they are generally a good vehicle. The one to avoid is the 3.0 litre diesel motor which uses a caterpillar injection system which had many problems. If you google it you will find out how bad it was. The older 3.1 litre diesel is pretty much the same as any other diesel and the V6's are also reliable. Being a Holden (not renowned name for 4WD) and also having the problems with the 3.0 litre diesel tarnishing the reputation of every Jackeroo you might be able to pick one up very cheaply.

A good diesel Patrol is better though!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everybody !
    I'm here (Syndey and after Canberra) in few days (16 october). I see this patrol :
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/quean...ute/1054633980
    Want think about ? 520 000 km it's not too much ??????
    And I have a question : timing belt or chain ? or other (may be pinion ?)
    I read for TB42 it's a belt and for TD42 it's a pinion, it's true ?
    I can't download the repair manuals, so I ask you.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast