User Tag List

Thread: Leaking inner axle seal

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaking inner axle seal

Hi guys, just dropped the Trol off at the garage to get the solid flywheel and HD clutch fitted and they're also going to sort out some play that was highlighted in the MOT on the driver's side wheel bearing and swivel bearings (would have had a bash at the bearing's myself but I've got plenty other jobs on the plate without adding more ).

Noticed the other week that I seemed to have a leaky inner axle seal on that same side, not enough to cause drips, just the damp patch on the bottom of the swivel hub, and it only seems to be after driving ie. when the swivels are actually moving/steering. Checked the diff oil and there is still plenty there so I'm wondering if the leak is being caused by the play in the bearings?

I've asked the mechanic to sort out the leak anyway but I was just curious if the bearing play could be the cause rather than the seal being stuffed!

Cheers

Rob
    1990 4.2 Diesel SWB Safari MT - 2" lift + long travel shocks, 33" MTs, -35 Steelies, 17000lb winch, Steel bumpers, Rock sliders, Snorkel, CB, Manual hubs, LED lightbar, Rear secure drawer, Rear drop down table, Manual gearbox conversion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's a fair bit of diff oil in there and if it's not leaking enough to drip then I doubt you'd notice a change in the level. It's fairly common for the axle seal to wear so I'd suggest that replacing it will fix the problem. Have a search on here for "swivel hub rebuild" or similar as there are some threads on the subject. You may as well purchase a complete rebuild kit as they are fairly inexpensive and the labour is the same if putting the old parts back in or new ones.
    When I did mine I used a kit from a company called "online auto parts" which was very good value. You'll find them and a few more on eBay. Just make sure they include good quality bearings
    Hello from Under Down Under!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Barrbeast (7th May 2014)