User Tag List

Thread: Spray Paint Rims

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spray Paint Rims

I have just finished doing a quick spray job on 5 GU steel rims the following is how i went about it.

I didn't strip the tires or weights it is probably a good idea to do this if you don't mind getting rims refitted and balanced.

1. Clean rims thoroughly. As it is very dry where I live I lay a clean tarp down on the dirt/grass and gave the rims a high pressure wash. I then used warm soapy water and gave them a good scrub, followed again by a pressure rinse.

I let the rims dry in the sun and used a rag and air hose to finish off any pools or water that hadn't dried.

The previous owner had sprayed the spare rim with a silver/alloy colored paint. I am glad he only sprayed one. I used thinners and lots of rags to scrub away the old paint. I worked in sections painting the thinners on with a paint brush then waiting about 10secs before rubbing with a rag. Its time consuming and messy. I found using a new rag as soon as the old one is dirty helps a lot. Also if you get thinners on the tyre wipe it off with a clean rag.

IMAG1676.jpg

I rubbed down the other four rims but the factory paint was holding well so it would make a good base.

2. I then scuffed all the rims with green scotch pads. I went over all corners and recess. You can see if it is scuffing or not. I was very careful to try and scuff everywhere so the paint would adhere well.

IMAG1677.jpg

3. I then gave them a quick blast with the air hose to blow off the bulk of the dust. Next with a clean rag I cleaned each rim again with a wax and grease solvent.

IMAG1660.jpg

4. Mask. To prevent overspray from getting on the rubber I masked with Newspaper and Masking tape.
    Firstly I traced a line on some news paper then cut it to the shape of the rim. 4 sheets did one wheel.

IMAG1657.jpg IMAG1658.jpg

I set the cut paper aside.

I then ran masking tape around the bead, the tape sticking to the tyre. Only pushing down half of the tape so I could slide the news paper under the outer edge. To prevent the tape from lifting spend some time ensuring the tape is down well.

IMAG1656.jpg

I then put the cut news paper in place using more tape where needed to stick it down. The oval cut out that were left over I used to fill the gaps on the tyre between the paper sheets.

IMAG1655.jpg

I gave the masked rims a final wipe with a cloth.

5. Paint. I chose to use White Knight Rust Guard gloss Black enamel.

IMAG1667.jpg

I lay the color down in very light coats 5 or 6 coats all up leaving 5 minutes between coats as it was a reasonably warm day. After 16 hours I set the rims upright and spray the inside/back of the rims. After another 6 hours i remove the mask.

IMAG1663.jpg IMAG1664.jpg IMAG1668.jpg

The end result is pretty good I have thought about wet and dry sanding them with some 1000 grit and putting on a clear coat. I will wait and see how they look in 6 months if they are still ok I will strip the rims give the a sand, clean and put on some more color.

All in all it's not the best job but for the $30 I invested and a couple of hours it is sure to be a very cheap appearance mod to the car.
    Last edited by Family4x4; 14th March 2014 at 08:47 AM.
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Family4x4 For This Useful Post:

AB (14th March 2014), Clunk (13th March 2014), lhurley (13th March 2014), lucus30 (13th March 2014), threedogs (14th March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some what easier and reusable trick for not getting over spray on the tyre is to use playing cards and feed them in the bead all the way around. I used a cut up cereal box when I did mine, worked a treat. I could reuse the cardboard on each tyre.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (13th March 2014), threedogs (14th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thread mate, they came up really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to krbrooking For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (15th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah happy days mate, you will be amazed how well the wear!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Family4x4 (15th March 2014)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used the same paint but did around 4 coats on each rim and left them in the sun for a full day between coats. Came up pretty well.
    Sanded and prepped them prior too of course.