Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU Vacuum Pump Repair

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Vacuum Pump Repair

Just wondering if anyone has ever replaced or repaired the vacuum pump on a ZD30 GU? Mine has a problem and I can't find any reference to repairing it. Nissan want about $600 for a genuine new one - what a surprise.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,521 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry Bill, not sure about the ZD30 but on a TD42 they are serviceable and fairly simple. The TD42 runs like an Impeller but with renewable fins. That's it. Simple. Are you sure you don't just have a vacuum leak?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Sorry Bill, not sure about the ZD30 but on a TD42 they are serviceable and fairly simple. The TD42 runs like an Impeller but with renewable fins. That's it. Simple. Are you sure you don't just have a vacuum leak?
    Is the TD42 pump built in to the alternator? Anyway, the ZD30 has a pump that runs off the engine.

There is no leak. The system holds vacuum with the engine off. The booster checks out OK but the pump cant sustain vacuum once the brake is pushed a number of times. I have been told that it is not repairable - it must be replaced.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,521 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Is the TD42 pump built in to the alternator? Anyway, the ZD30 has a pump that runs off the engine.

There is no leak. The system holds vacuum with the engine off. The booster checks out OK but the pump cant sustain vacuum once the brake is pushed a number of times. I have been told that it is not repairable - it must be replaced.
    Yeah sorry bill, ZD30 is not my strong suit. I have certainly had the vac pump out of my GQ stripped down and understand its inner workings.

What you describe is not inconsistent with how the Vac pump delivers on the TD though, how many pumps before you start running short of vacuum? Is it getting worse? Surely this must only really happen on long down hill descents?

On the TD the vac pump also supports the Clutch. I have seen a guy add a larger vac canister to increase storage for better performance.

Sorry can't be much more help mate. I can't imagine that it would be a common failure, can you chase a second hand one?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you pumping the brake pedal at idle or while the car is driving?? If its at idle it could be coz its not turning fast enough. What happens if your in park and idle up the motor, say to 1500rpm???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happens after a couple of pumps while the car is driving, and it is getting worse. I picked up a second hand pump this morning and will fit it over the next couple of days. Even the wrecker said they don't sell many as they don't fail very often. Just lucky I guess! Might go and buy a lotto ticket...........................

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th May 2014)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vacume boost cylinders

How many reserve vac cylinders does it have 1 or 2 ?.
    seems some have 1 and some have 2.

my gu td42t has 2.
    but I recently came across another that only had 1, and it was a year younger than mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    How many reserve vac cylinders does it have 1 or 2 ?.
    seems some have 1 and some have 2.

my gu td42t has 2.
    but I recently came across another that only had 1, and it was a year younger than mine.
    Mine has one - but it has workd fine until recently - so that is not the problem. I'm in Sydney at the moment so I won't be able to swap the pump until next wek. Hopefully all will be good then.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,112 Times in 3,144 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll be keeping an eye on this as my pump is suspect too. Clutch is assisted by vacuum too isnt it?
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I'll be keeping an eye on this as my pump is suspect too. Clutch is assisted by vacuum too isnt it?
    Yes.. You may simply have a leak in a vac line.
    I'm not sure about petrols but the td42 has a canister on the passenger side on the firewall or over wheel arch with is a vac tank. Follow the line from the pump to this tank and feel the pressure, then pop the line off at the clutch or brake booster and feel the pressure.
    It should be a noticeable pressure build.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast