Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camper/tent trailers which one?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Track TVAN would be the pick from me, even though I used to work for a Kimberley Kamper dealer, I think the Tvan is on of the best if not the best in its class.

Thanks

Ian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Some ppl are asking Huge $$$ for a trailer and a tent,
    $30,000 plus is ridiculas for a trailer and Tent IMO
    Bob just updated to a Jayco and tows that everywhere
    I paid $20K for my Armadillo Camper (12mths old) which was fully optioned BUT it suits what we want to do and I just love it!! Plus after looking at what seemed like hundreds of campers I was happy to pay the extra - supposedly an off-road trailer but I'll be honest in that it will never see anything too hard core. Handled the beach like a dream but is alittle heavy fully loaded (with 3 adults & 3 kids you tend to drag a lot of shit with you)
    NISSANS Rulz .... "Amelia" the 2006 4.2ltr Patrol Ute & "Seamus" the 2008 3ltr Patrol Wagon

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TROLLFAM View Post
    I paid $20K for my Armadillo Camper (12mths old) which was fully optioned BUT it suits what we want to do and I just love it!! Plus after looking at what seemed like hundreds of campers I was happy to pay the extra - supposedly an off-road trailer but I'll be honest in that it will never see anything too hard core. Handled the beach like a dream but is alittle heavy fully loaded (with 3 adults & 3 kids you tend to drag a lot of shit with you)
    3 adults huh? Interesting.... Someone on a winner?
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    3 adults huh? Interesting.... Someone on a winner?
    LMFAO!!!' I wish!!!

But Noooo my 19yr old is 2inches taller than me and well, we have to refer to her as an "Adult" now
    NISSANS Rulz .... "Amelia" the 2006 4.2ltr Patrol Ute & "Seamus" the 2008 3ltr Patrol Wagon

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisian_1275 View Post
    Track TVAN would be the pick from me, even though I used to work for a Kimberley Kamper dealer, I think the Tvan is one of the best if not the best in its class.

Thanks

Ian
    Yeah, I agree Ian. T-van would suit me to a T....

My tendencies are towards a very capable off-road 'bed' with a bit of extra storage, which in reality is what the T-van without extras is. 95% of the time we cook off a fire when and where possible, or use a very simple gas or butane burner for a one off meal. The fridge is in the tow vehicle along with the food storage.

We have tried the roof topper tents and found they don't suit us, with the general complaint being that the truck isn't level or some other whinge about having to climb the ladder (somewhat intoxicated)....or climb down the ladder for a 3am piss in the bush, which seems to be my fault somehow as well... I tend to think that the roof topper is a bit of a fad that is top heavy and awkward to remove. Every mongrel seems to have one on their 4wd at the moment, but I wonder how much use they actually get and how long the concept will be around.

Personally, I do however want to stick with the concept of the simple camper that can be left in camp while taking off in the tow vehicle for some time, as opposed to having to pack up everything to go for a drive.

I also want the simple off-road 'bed' to be electrically independent from the tow vehicle when required, (ie. solar) which in my books means one battery and some lights and possibly a water pump if we are getting flash. I also want it to have a quick erect awning. Em Tasol. Simple stuff.

Some very good opinions all around in this thread so far. Suspension does NOT need to be expensive independent stuff as a good solid axle and well setup leaf springs are near bullet proof and can be just as 'soft' on your gear if done right. Same regarding usage - Cost v Benefit should not be underestimated.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is another idea for you

http://www.quickpitchcamper.com/
    quite nice looking for something on the back of a ute.......
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ill do a jayco pop top conversion to off road chassis with many bells and whistles soon.

My brother just bought an old 84 jayco and is going to rebuild it.

My brother has been known to go over the top with his conversions so ill take some photos of the build for anyone on a budget and the know how.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a Tambo camper and its great. To be honest though if I had the budget I'd be in a Tvan in a heart beat, especially if its only you. No Brainer for me. Simple. Fast setup, high quality, compact, robust, proven, Bullet Proof.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a lot of T Vans on the road my way. Looked interesting. The try before buy was an inconvenient hitch, the only place here that rents then is 400+Km away, 800km round trip before one starts is not impressive, especially $ and fuel wise. Also about $3000 on your plastic before you go off for a week. (Current Adelaide web displayed price.)

At present I look at my van as a nice mobile base that allows me to get so far then go off for a day or 2, weather dependent there.
    Having a van and a self contained 4x4 would give me a bigger range, days out, from the comfort of the van.
    Roof top tents have issue, besides falling down the ladder for an urgent call at 3AM. I only include it as a possible.
    A good swag/small tent and bedroll can be more versatile.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Ill do a jayco pop top conversion to off road chassis with many bells and whistles soon.

My brother just bought an old 84 jayco and is going to rebuild it.

My brother has been known to go over the top with his conversions so ill take some photos of the build for anyone on a budget and the know how.
    I did that 16 years ago and never looked back. The pop up camper cost me $3300 at the time and I strengthened the chassis and raised it, put solar panels on and 16" wheels. It has done all the outback tracks over the years and is still going strong. My kids use it now as I have become used to the comforts of an off road caravan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast