Thread: Hand Throttle (Cable Throttle) in Patrol - NOT a Cruise Control

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it would have been just the Australians they were worried about, but you are probably on the right track. The Flying Badger sums it up well in his signiture - A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams.
    Another reason for deleting the hand throttle is dollars. When you make 100,000 cars saving even a few cents per car adds up to a big saving, and with hand throttle being irrelevant to 99% of vehicle owners it was an easy target for deletion.

As long as you can find a suitable mounting location for the hand throttle knob - it needs to have a clear area behind it for the cable, I don't see any reason why you couldn't adapt a GQ hand throttle to fit a GU.

Tony

2. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Col.T (12th February 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    I don't think it would have been just the Australians they were worried about, but you are probably on the right track. The Flying Badger sums it up well in his signiture - A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams.
    Tony
    Trouble is Tony, when people ignore Mr. Adams they on rare occasions succeed, which in turn unnaturally takes Mr. Darwin out of the loop which then means natural selection cannot work and the human race as a whole does not move forward. Not only that but I end up with less of a car.
    Oh well.
    Haven't had a look yet but from memory, I think a suitable cable alignment may prove difficult.
    Thanks for the thought
    Col

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine occasionally on a really cold morning, but I have seen as Dogman states it being used for consistent revs up steep bouncy type slopes. My old Uncle used to use his out on the farm, keepin the ol Tojo movin as he jumped out to pick up lambs.

I have been on a couple of other forums too, now i have been around a while and am reasonably competent in a mechanical sense, but those others do try to belittle myself and others and aren't really open to suggestions. I've only been here a day but so far this forum does have a "friendly" feel about it (without getting all sissy lala) hahaha

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

AB (20th February 2011), YNOT (20th February 2011)

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps don't be completely dismissive of the handthrottle as cruise control.

I never use mine as such except in low low creeping over rocks, usually in a dried up creek bed. Not that there are too many of those around these days. The reason I won't use it on the highway is that I'm happy to use my right foot and I don't want to have to deal with a lot of revs if I put my foot on the clutch.

On the other hand, my mate with a TD42 gq/y60 often uses his when travelling long flat roads out West to give the right foot a rest. Not for me, but works for him, and I'm happy to be a passenger while he does it in those circumstances.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I must say, I always thought it was just a choke, would never have comtemplated using it as a driving aid. Even the little symbol on it looks like a choke symbol that was used in the good old days of manual chokes for cold starting in the UK.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clunk71 View Post
    Well I must say, I always thought it was just a choke, would never have comtemplated using it as a driving aid. Even the little symbol on it looks like a choke symbol that was used in the good old days of manual chokes for cold starting in the UK.
    Maybe yours is a choke - if I could work out a straightforward way to replace the auto choke on my petrol Mav with a manual choke, I'd be there like a shot

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the hand throttle in my old MQ on cold startups and when attempting creek/river crossings to keep the revs constant and also on steep hillclimbs i've used mine more times than i can remember and its gotten to the stage were the locking mechanism in the cable is'nt the best and probably could do with replacing.. As for people using them for cruise control out on the road it is a realy bad idea the potential for an accident far outweigh's its use as cruise control..
    Also if you want to retro a hand throttle into a new rig it's fairly easy as ive recently done one to my fathers hilux just be sure to have a decent amount of space for were the cable will run and Make sure that were the knob is going to live it has a solid mounting point EG: a place on the dash that has some metal behind it to tighten the end of the cable to so you can pull firmly on it and it wont break
    Someone's Gotta Break 'Em... So It Might As Well Be Me!!.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If in doubt, read the owner's manual. It usually helps. lol

Take care out there.

Ross
    DX grunt
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have already posted the page directly from the user manual on a GQ series into this thread that describes how to use the Idle Control Knob. (Page 2)
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used the hand throttle a couple times. low range, first gear when bogged on the beach. You can get out and push; and then jump back in the car. Works a treat.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast