Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand Throttle (Cable Throttle) in Patrol - NOT a Cruise Control

Howdy

have seen a couple of posts here and there, and got I've gotten into debate before regarding this topic. Not wishing to cause argument, but I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

The hand throttle (not sure of the proper name for it - it's the knob you can pull out, down to the right of the steering wheel that is attached to the accelerator cable) as I understand it, and with every bit of logic I can muster regarding reasons why you shouldn't use this way, isn't meant to be locked in whilst driving and be used as a Cruise Control. It is no doubt dangerous ... hit the brakes with that locked on and your stopping distance has just increased substantially, as 99.99999999% of people haven't got the cat like reflexes to switch it off right at the moment a small kid, or an animal, or another car, etc scoots out in front of them ... it just keeps the power up to the wheels whilst you are trying to stop them with the brakes ...

Not sure if there is reference to it in the manual (I will look though) but I recall another member on another forum stating the manual says specifically NOT to use this whilst any 'driving gear' is engaged. I have rarely (if ever) used it, but could imagine people use it to idle the car up when it is cold, and in certain 4WD circumstances where you want to keep the idle up a little (like in water holes etc so you don't snuff the engine if you happen to get stuck) - other than that, I would struggle to know why it's even there (my rig starts perfectly without it even when cold - the sensors, ECU, etc do the work idling it up, and it drops back to 650rpm once it starts warming up)

Not a topic that my opinion will be swayed on I'm afraid, but obviously welcome others thoughts and opinions on it's use in this fashion.

Over to you!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never used mine but from what I understand you only use it when going up steep rocky hills to keep the revs constant instead of using the accelerator which your foot will bounce up and down on causing the revs to change............but hell other than that I've got no idea,
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

Bigrig (9th February 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    refer 2 this forum thread

patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/adjusting-hand-throttle-55128/

I would agree with Wayne on this... Rock climbs / Hill climbs where u want 2 keep the revs constant, Never would use it on the road

NOTE: DIRECT LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED DUE TO PATROL4X4's VIRUS PROBLEMS, ENTERING THE ABOVE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

KIND REGARDS

FORUM MANAGEMENT
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 8th May 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read this on that other 4x4 something forum as well, which makes the only sense to why it is there

The hand throttle was designed for when running a PTO Winch (good with an electric as well), to keep the revs up.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddrhind View Post
    refer 2 this forum thread

I would agree with Wayne on this... Rock climbs / Hill climbs where u want 2 keep the revs constant, Never would use it on the road
    That was me as you can tell, many moons ago on the same topic!! Another bloke on the forum picked the sh!t out of me for calling it a choke, and because I'm a mouth, I argued the point and then yet another bloke sent me the details via PM regarding the manual, and I ended up posting it as he didn't want to cause a stir - haven't read it myself as such, but that particular thread was the beginning of the end for my involvement in that site ...

The difference in response on many of the posts for the same topic highlights the differences between this one and it (painting with a broad brush I know) - the discussion here is open and flowing, as opposed to one upmanship and a place to demonstrate your greater understanding of all things Patrol than anybody else ...
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 8th May 2012 at 10:04 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

Woof (9th February 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    The difference in response on many of the posts for the same topic highlights the differences between this one and it
    hence why i have never joined it, still have a read if i am searching on somethin in particular and it pops up in the search, but that's about it, will never join it thats 4 sure

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hence why i have never joined it, still have a read if i am searching on somethin in particular and it pops up in the search, but that's about it, will never join it thats 4 sure
    Yep - I understand there is certain forums for certain people, and no doubt there is good info on there, but that is a perfect example of how something simple turns to a sh!t fight real quick - there is plenty more threads on there that highlight the same thing let me tell you!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Scotty, I have no idea about Patroly stuff I just pass on what I have learn't as with the rest of us.
    As you and others have realised there is no room for "one upmanship" on this forum mate, that what makes it the way it is.
    Thanks heaps for your reply mate.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Read this on that other 4x4 something forum as well, which makes the only sense to why it is there

The hand throttle was designed for when running a PTO Winch (good with an electric as well), to keep the revs up.
    Thats correct (the PTO bit). Without giving away my age too much it is a hang over from the good old days when a PTO was common and used for lots of various devices like winches, hyd pumps etc etc. Exactly the same as the Farm Tractor.

Many a Farmer has been killed or injured by running over himself on the Farm by setting the hand throttle and walking alongside throwing feed off a trailer or tray

The other feature that is now disappering which was also necessary for a PTO Operation was the Neutral between 4H and 4L because you needed the gears to drive the PTO so you had to select N on the transfer case, engage the PTO and then used the gears/throttle to set the RPM of the PTO shaft.

Only temporary Australians would even contemplate the use of Hand throttles as CC
    Last edited by the evil twin; 10th February 2011 at 02:14 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

patch697 (11th February 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep gotta agree, it is not cruise control, i fitted cruise control as cruise control and it works as it should, I even fitted a switch for the clutch
    Western Patrol Club member

GQ with 5.7 Gen 111 V8, Dual ARB airlockers, 33" Coopers, 9000lb Premier winch, Black Widow draws

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast