Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 st wont start

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2011 st wont start

Need Help, Car wont start. When I pulled the bottom shroud off (to disconnect the ignition warning beeper) I noticed the plastic ring around the end of the ignition barrel was slightly broken. it has copper wire coiled around it and the wires were nearly touching the ignition barrel, I used a small screwdriver to put the exposed wires back in the plastic ring that runs around the barrel. then I disconnected the small brown plug which I think is the 'key in ignition' warning wire, tried starting the car and it just kept turning over. So I plugged brown plug back in and still car wont fire.?? The brown plug is the 'key in' wire as the beeping stops when I have it unplugged. Plugged or unplugged the car just turns over without firing. The red light on the dash still flashes when key is out so I guess I haven't tripped the immobiliser. Any ideas?? Have checked fuses and all ok.

3l 2011 st patrol wagon
    2011 ST, Steel bulbar, warn winch, snorkel, arb rear bar, uhf, dual batteries, on board compressor, 2" OME suspension

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yendor or ET would be who you seek, not much help but have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Dougy (4th May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No but will disconnect it now, thanks.
    2011 ST, Steel bulbar, warn winch, snorkel, arb rear bar, uhf, dual batteries, on board compressor, 2" OME suspension

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's sounds like the NATS antenna (ring around the ignition barrel) has been damaged. The antenna receives the signal from the ignition key chip and tells the ECU it's ok for the vehicle to start.

The antenna is a coil of very fine wire. It sounds like this coil of wire has been broken. When the engine is cranking is the security light on or off?

If you have a second key try using that.

Also when you turn the ignition on does the glow plug and check engine (MIL) warning lights come on in the dash?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Alitis007 (9th May 2014), Dougy (3rd May 2014), threedogs (3rd May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Yendor, the NATS is damaged as the fine wire is broken on one side, tried to twitch it together but bit fidly and didn't seem to work anyway. Glow plug light comes on as normal not sure on other lights. I will need a new NATS antenna, but can they be installed at home or will I need to take it to a dealer? Any idea what they might be worth?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did try my other key but didn't work.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did read a thread where someone claimed they were able to solder the wires together. You would need to gentle scrape the protective coating of both ends of the wire first. You would also need a steady hand and good eyesight.

Unfortunately you are unable to just replace the antenna, you need to replace the whole unit (IMMU) that mounts to the ignition barrel.

I think the new IMMU then needs to be programmed to ECU and I think that only Nissan can do this.

Send a PM to Nizzbits and ask Gary for a price and if the new IMMU will need to be programmed to the vehicle.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    I did try my other key but didn't work.
    Yeah if the wire is broken in the antenna then the second key won't work either. I was just trying to cover all bases in my first post.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ok thanks Yendor, was thinking I may be able to solder it to get it to the dealer without a tow. Will send Nizzbits a pm.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,039 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with my car, I would have tried to fix it myself but could not find the break so had to get Nissan to replace it.
    It took Nissans 3 days to get the part for mine and I ended up with an $800 bill for the fix and supply of another key.
    The really annoying bit is when they fixed it they reconnected the stupid beeper and I am now to afraid to pull it apart again in case I damage the antenna ring again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast