OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Gu axles under gq whats involved ?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu axles under gq whats involved ?

I have been reading the following things have to be done for the conversion;

-adjustable draglink

-steering box/pitman arm

But as the gu axles are wider do you also have to modify the brackets for the four link-shoks-coilsprings for example ?

Can sombody who has done the conversion before explain how you done it ?

(could be a nice sticky but thats only a suggestion)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate they bolt straight up.

So the tie rod end taper on a GQ and a GU is a different angle so anything with a tie rod end will need to have the tie rod end changed or the item changes.

You need a GU tie rod

You need an adjustable drag link with a GU Tierod end on one end and you won't need the GU steering box. Or grab the bigger GUbox for the win.

I is recommended to find a GU brake booster but my GQ booster is working fine.

Everything else bolts straight up.

Make sure you buy the smaller rear diff off the GU H233 as the centres are interchangeable with the GQ centres. The H260 is a larger rear diff and not recommended.

Have a look through the back half of my build thread in my sig line as I have done this conversion.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    might want to think about laminating the front diff while its out
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate they bolt straight up.

So the tie rod end taper on a GQ and a GU is a different angle so anything with a tie rod end will need to have the tie rod end changed or the item changes.

You need a GU tie rod

You need an adjustable drag link with a GU Tierod end on one end and you won't need the GU steering box. Or grab the bigger GUbox for the win.

I is recommended to find a GU brake booster but my GQ booster is working fine.

Everything else bolts straight up.

Make sure you buy the smaller rear diff off the GU H233 as the centres are interchangeable with the GQ centres. The H260 is a larger rear diff and not recommended.

Have a look through the back half of my build thread in my sig line as I have done this conversion.
    You mention H260 not recommended.
    Is that purely cost related or something else?
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    You mention H260 not recommended.
    Is that purely cost related or something else?
    no nothing really. It becomes an issue if you want to use your existing Airlocker and Centre, it won't bolt in. I also think you may have trouble with some Ratios into the H260 too. Not sure on that though. Tough Diff! if it has the right ratio for you and you have not bought an airlock yet then it will do just fine though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Robo (15th August 2016)