Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Oil for my Manual Gearbox GQ

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So which brand did you use? As I have to double clutch into 2nd when the box is cold.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi-tech oils mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will ring the mech who did the change out, and see if he can tell me if he used gl-5. Thanks, Matt.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I will ring the mech who did the change out, and see if he can tell me if he used gl-5. Thanks, Matt.
    Does it specify gl-4 for the rb30 box?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the delayed answer. The original owners manual specifies GL 4 one of the after market manuals reckons 4 or 5

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Gl-5 is ok but the synchros in the Nissan box behind the 4.2 ( petrol and diesel) and the 3.0 diesel (all the same box) much prefer the gl-4 oil. I cannot comment on the box behind the rb30 mate but if the manual specifies gl-4 then this is what I would be using. I changed from a gl-5 to a gl-4 oil in my patrol and noticed the difference nearly straight away. My box had dramas down shifting to 4th from 5th and also 4th to 3rd once the gl-4 oil went in this has probably gotten 50% better. I don't think it will get better as the damage may have already been done prior to me purchasing the vehicle but alls I changed was the oil.
    The difference between gl4 and gl5 is the synthetic additives in the oil, gl5 has more that gl4 so unless the viscosity is different how does less friction modifiers make your synchro's mesh easier ??? I'm pretty sure the gu gear box uses a straight 75w oil but can't remember if the gq uses a 80w90 or a 75w aswell

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I did the gearbox oil change last year, before it died, I researched the issue. Apparently early on, when gl5 oils were first released, the gl5 additives that coat and attach to the synchros are stronger than the brass. When they are worn off, they take a small proportion of the brass with them. I was assured by Nulon that the problem had been rectified with more modern oils. But now I'm not so sure, so I will have to shell out for the gl4.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    The difference between gl4 and gl5 is the synthetic additives in the oil, gl5 has more that gl4 so unless the viscosity is different how does less friction modifiers make your synchro's mesh easier ??? I'm pretty sure the gu gear box uses a straight 75w oil but can't remember if the gq uses a 80w90 or a 75w aswell
    It's well documented across these sorts of forums. It just seems the materials used in the boxes I mentioned earlier prefer the gl4 and I was just passing on my experience with the two different oils. Some additives in the gl-5 can attack yellow metals (brass,copper etc) which could possibly shorten the life. If it specifies gl-4 oil then why use something else? . Sometimes you can have to much of a good thing and it may be the case with the newer gl-5 classification.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    When I did the gearbox oil change last year, before it died, I researched the issue. Apparently early on, when gl5 oils were first released, the gl5 additives that coat and attach to the synchros are stronger than the brass. When they are worn off, they take a small proportion of the brass with them. I was assured by Nulon that the problem had been rectified with more modern oils. But now I'm not so sure, so I will have to shell out for the gl4.
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    It's well documented across these sorts of forums. It just seems the materials used in the boxes I mentioned earlier prefer the gl4 and I was just passing on my experience with the two different oils. Some additives in the gl-5 can attack yellow metals (brass,copper etc) which could possibly shorten the life. If it specifies gl-4 oil then why use something else? . Sometimes you can have to much of a good thing and it may be the case with the newer gl-5 classification.
    Cheers guys! I know with new diesel motors the friction modifiers affect the particulate filter but didn't realize it had that sort of effect on the synchro's aswell

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have copied this out of BA's Members ride thread because it is useful and will get lost there.

Thanks Matt, George and Craig. Good info.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (30th April 2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast