Thread: Removal of GU roof lining?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, nice work.

I have copied your posts that have the removal progress into the DIY section of the forum located here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...lining-removal

Cheers

Toddie
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd, it seems like the new thread is closed? If you want it to read as a DIY, then I still need to add the sound deadener etc. etc, and finish the job. Is that what you intended?
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (6th May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,771 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    Todd, it seems like the new thread is closed? If you want it to read as a DIY, then I still need to add the sound deadener etc. etc, and finish the job. Is that what you intended?
    Might of been done by accident mate, no idea why that was closed but its open for business now...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, sorry about that............ I did close the thread on purpose, I forgot 2 say just keep posting them up in here and I will just copy them across when I see this tread pop up. The only reason I wanted it closed was to stop any questions been asked between your post in that thread. Happy 2 leave it open and for you to post up in there instead. You call, just let me know

Cheers

Toddie

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're the boss. I'll update this one so I don't confuse myself.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    You're the boss. I'll update this one so I don't confuse myself.
    Im no boss just a mere slave *L*

I will close the other thread back down and just copy the info across after you have posted it here.

Cheers

Toddie

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So today I finally managed to find some time to continue this little project. I picked up two meters of foam insulation from Jenkins Rubber (2.0 x 1.2m) for the ceiling spaces, and found by the end of it I had about 30cm left. 1.2m just happens to be the exact width of the ceiling spaces so it was a handy buy. The foam itself is fairly light, and came with an adhesive backing at $33/m. I also happen to have picked up a couple of meters of the Car Builders waterproof foam lining and if I was to compare it, the Car Builders product is denser and heavier for the same thickness. I'll use it on the floor.

A couple of pics...

So, I am still waiting for the dynamat to arrive, and these pieces are all just cut to size and sitting there. The ceiling area now has a much better coverage than the previous Nissan matting that was fitted but I really feel that each panel area needs a strip of dynamat to get best results. I want to fit a relatively thin strip across the ceiling in each panel area first, and then stick down the foam lining over the top. I asked the Jenkins Rubber people if the adhesive stands up to the high temps that I am sure the area will reach and was assured that it would. We'll see...

Hopefully I can get this job finished in the next couple of days. Driving around without a ceiling and without any sound proofing is quite a loud experience.

Out of interest, today I pulled my roof rack off and the ceiling was notably quieter. I then put it back on, and took it for a highway run, and could hardly hold a conversation with the radio going. My roof rack has mesh fitted to the flooring area and I reckon there is quite a decent hum coming from it when driving at speed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (8th May 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Job done

Ok, to wrap this up.

The dynamat arrived yesterday and I got the ceiling finished. Basically, I covered in the panels above the driver and front passenger and then put strips of dynamat across the vehicles remaining ceiling panels. Once the dynamat was in place, I removed the adhesive liner on the foam and stuck it all down.

Bit of elbow grease required, and you have to watch the sharp edges on the dynamat once you have cut it to size. I ended up with a heap of small cuts in my fingers but otherwise all good.

Front Panel mostly covered. The dynamat cuts pretty easily with a stanley knife. They recommend a hard roller to get it bedded down propery, however I didn't have one so I just used the handle of one of my larger screwdrivers. Seemed to work ok.

I also completely filled in the second roof panel area above the driver and front passenger seats. That gap was filled after taking the photo.

I then used a 10cm wide strip like this one for the remaining ceiling panels before sticking down the foam over the top.

I'll post up an evaluation on the results once I've re-installed the ceiling liner and panels and taken it for a decent drive. Seems quieter just starting the engine and reversing out of the garage though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job! Very neat work. Looking forward to the results for this one.
    IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Results - well, it is hard to quantify but I am very happy with the noise reduction. Just doing the ceiling and front and rear structural cavities has lowered the sound levels considerably.

In addition, I spent a fair amount of time today putting down dynamat and foam vehicle liner on the front drivers and passengers footwell, firewall and under the front seats. I didn't remove the dash, just pushed it up as far as I could.

The results of a test drive after this addition were even better again and if I did nothing further to the vehicle I would be happy with the noise reductions and vibration reductions that I have achieved so far.

Tomorrow I plan to do the outside door skins of the two front doors with the remaining dynamat, and if I have enough I will seal off the doors as per the advice from 04OFF to improve the sound from the mediocre Phillips speakers that I have and see how it goes.

On Monday I am off for another crack at exploring the Maytown track so will give it all a really good test run then.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Parksy (9th May 2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast