Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removal of GU roof lining?

Has anyone got a few tips on how to go about removing the roof lining on a GU wagon?

Kallen and Parksy have inspired me with their sound deadening threads but I'm thinking that if I am going to do it, I might as well do the inside of the roof as well. Might help with the heat insulation if nothing else anyway.

I haven't started yet, just in the process of ordering the sound deadener and sound dampener/insulator materials and planning it out so any tips would be great.

Cheers
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's pretty simple to remove.

All the door and window trims need to be removed and the roof lining is just tucked in there. The roof lining is also supported by steal rods the help with tension. They are slotted into the top rail and one you have the edges off you will see how to remove these rods.

Be gentle
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (27th April 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removal Process

Thought I'd throw up a few pics of the process. Very easy at the end of the day and probably took me about an hour and a half.

I decided to start at the back and work forward. The roof lining in the GU is in two pieces with the cargo area overlapping the front piece.

Start by removing the rubber cargo door seal all the way around and then remove the side trims from around the rear windows on both sides. You'll need a phillips head screw driver, a 10mm socket and 1/4in drive, and if you have them, a set of the door trim removal tools.

Remove the interior cargo bay light. Pull off the clear cover, then undo the two phillips head screws. Note, I had previously disconnected my battery as a matter of course.

You will need to undo the middle seat belts for the middle seat at the bottom and then feed it back through the plastic trim panel.
    Last edited by FNQGU; 1st May 2014 at 05:51 PM.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

briscott (9th August 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rear part of the lining then drops down easily and can be removed from the vehicle. The interior light feeds back up through the hole in the panel and I then simply screwed it back up to stop it flapping around.

I then used a bit of acetone to give the ceiling a good clean up. The old felt padding doesn't cover the whole ceiling and if it isn't falling down, it comes off very easily as it is only held on by a bit of double sided tape.

Of note, there were no steel rods to be found anywhere in my vehicle.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

briscott (9th August 2014), Parksy (1st May 2014)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forward ceiling panel

The forward ceiling is a little more time consuming, but not much.

The pillar covers and grab handles all need to come off, along with the sun visors and any over head lighting or consoles.

I didn't remove the B-pillar covers, as they held the lining in place nicely until I was ready to lower it down.

I also took the opportunity to tidy up the wiring to my UHF coming up the front passengers side A-Pillar.

All the felt came off easily and I will replace it all with a few sheets of dynamat or butyl sound deadener, and then some foam overlay to help with the heat coming through the roof.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

briscott (9th August 2014), MudRunnerTD (5th May 2014), Parksy (1st May 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's progress Benk? If it's still apart id take the opportunity to use some rust proofing product on the insides of the sills. Good old preventative that's only going to make you feel warm and fuzzy knowing it's all good.
    IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, good idea. Hopefully the sound deadener and replacement foam lining arrive today. I did just put a bit of expandable foam into the structural cavities at the front and rear to firm things up and insulate them somewhat. Will trim it up today once it is all set hard. Wicked stuff!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being cleaned up and ready for the sound deadener and new foam insulation.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea Mr was describing the gq. We have steel rods holding the fabric up, and ylthe gq is tucked into the window / door rubbers..

I see why the gu is quiter, those panels will absorb more than thin fabric..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work! It's giving me ideas for replacing the gq vinyl style roof liner for something fixed. Anyone ever heard anything like this before?
    IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast