Thread: Getting MORE from your photos !

us poms are crap at cricket fracster's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 387 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry bud, I did not intend to come across as robust. Just stating what my thoughts were,I certainly did not intend to offend or pee you off in anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingBeagles View Post
    Thanks for your "robust" response. Makes me just want to get involved all the more.... (not). Anyway, I think I'll leave this thread alone - you've got it all covered.
    It is now official, we are not quite so sh@t at cricket as we were! Rugby Union is a different matter.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracster For This Useful Post:

04OFF (18th May 2015), LaughingBeagles (18th May 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

us poms are crap at cricket fracster's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 387 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    LaughingBeagles, please do NOT leave this thread alone, yours and everyone else's opinion is greatly appreciated here, it great you take/took the time to reply, and I thank you for that, people will all always have a difference in opinion, and other people can learn much from "different" views, please do not take Fractsers passionate response (or anyone elses, including mine) as anyway aggressive, im sure Fractser would be dis-heartened to find you may feel that way about his post, I can assure you (without conversing with Fracster) it would not be his intention to put anyone down in any way, sometimes the intermernet thing can be misleading like this.
    Absolutely spot on mate. Sometimes words typed on a forum can come across in a different way than intended. My post was trying to help, though I do admit that some of my posts may come across as blunt and robust, that is not my intent at all guys.
    It is now official, we are not quite so sh@t at cricket as we were! Rugby Union is a different matter.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have been following this thread for while now, and also some of the individuals posting on it. Let me start by saying I find both fracster's and 04off's photography extremity interesting and exciting. I have also recently met Pete and I like what I have seen of his work. The interesting thing is that each person has there own technique and some differences in their approach to photography and whether to use RAW or JPG format.
    My own experience started way back in the 70's, when I bought a Pentax, a lot of photography books and undertook a few courses at TAFE. This made me a reasonable photographer and at the time I knew all the rules like the rule of thirds, f stops and all the others that Pete mentioned in his post. Unfortunately, although I was a reasonable photographer it bored me to death in the end and that coupled with a growing family and limited budget had me sell all my equipment and not become interested in photography again until 2011. I am now learning all over again, but with a much more mature attitude. I now find myself composing much better photographs mainly because I am putting my own "feel" in to the subject matter and knowing when to ignore the "rules" of photography. So as not to take over the thread and bore everyone to death, I'll leave this post now on this note. I agree with just about everything that has been posted but I do find that shooting in RAW uses a lot of memory and is not warranted unless you are going to manipulate the photograph afterwards. Because the modern camera is capable in auto mode, and almost any photograph can be enhanced on a computer, we as photographers, need to show our individuality by creating our own individual style and composition techniques.
    Lastly, when 4x4ing, I have a second camera with a 300mm telephoto set to auto and multiple shots just sitting withing reach. This has often enabled me to get photographs of those situations that "come out of nowhere."
    Last edited by 4bye4; 18th May 2015 at 12:26 AM.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

04OFF (18th May 2015), LaughingBeagles (18th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting MORE from your photos !

Here's a challenge for you - ME !!
    I bought a Nikon D7100 about 2 months ago and last weekend thought I'd be clever and take it to the Supercross so that I could get some good pictures .... Hmmmm that backfired !!

Until the sun went down all was good with the silly thing set on AUTO however once that sin went down, and the spot lights came on the track I think I managed to take 1, maybe 2 semi ok pictures

The rest were crappy and blurred - was sitting there googling what settings I should be using and even ended up with a groovy pic that looked like my camera was on LSD

HELP !!! No nothing about photography but want to be able to take pics of Motorsports during the day and night .....

ETA : when I bought it came with 2 Nikon lenses

18-140mm which is on the camera and a 50mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2TROLLFAM; 25th October 2015 at 09:47 AM.
    NISSANS Rulz .... "Amelia" the 2006 4.2ltr Patrol Ute & "Seamus" the 2008 3ltr Patrol Wagon

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A general tip would be to throw it into Shutter Priority and up the speed to at least 1/500th of a second, (maybe even 1/800th or faster) to capture fast moving objects.

You should have a focus lock option on that D7100 too. Work out how that works and it will follow your subjects keeping them in focus.

Also, I'd suggest you put it into burst mode to take multiple frames each time. You'll end up with a stack of images you don't want/need, but in amongst them there will hopefully be one or two that are exactly what you wanted.

With the light dropping right off at night, you might find a need to up your ISO to 800 or 1600 too. Your camera is probably doing it already automatically, but if your shots are still too dark, you might need to take control of it.
    Last edited by FNQGU; 25th October 2015 at 10:05 AM.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

2TROLLFAM (25th October 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the searches (plus reading the manual) suggested these settings which was how I got the slightly OK pics - methinks I'll have to look into doing a basic photography course just to learn the basics of how to use the darn thing LOL

NISSANS Rulz .... "Amelia" the 2006 4.2ltr Patrol Ute & "Seamus" the 2008 3ltr Patrol Wagon

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the Aperture Priority then you are leaving it to the camera to select the shutter speed, and it will base that on the amount of light it is getting from whatever Aperture setting you use. You won't get a crisp 'frozen' image from moving objects as often. Most times it will come out blurred. The H subsetting there is likely for High Speed (ie. burst mode) I think. Someone who uses Nikon can tell you better than I could.

Another option for you would be to select Scene, and choose 'Sports' or something similar.

Jump on YouTube and watch a couple of tutorials if you don't have time for a course.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    If you use the Aperture Priority then you are leaving it to the camera to select the shutter speed, and it will base that on the amount of light it is getting from whatever Aperture setting you use. You won't get a crisp 'frozen' image from moving objects as often. Most times it will come out blurred. The H subsetting there is likely for High Speed (ie. burst mode) I think. Someone who uses Nikon can tell you better than I could.

Another option for you would be to select Scene, and choose 'Sports' or something similar.

Jump on YouTube and watch a couple of tutorials if you don't have time for a course.
    Cool - thanks - I did read in the manual about using scene & sports from there but couldn't find it the other night ...... Just looked now and found it so will give that a try

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TROLLFAM View Post
    One of the searches (plus reading the manual) suggested these settings which was how I got the slightly OK pics - methinks I'll have to look into doing a basic photography course just to learn the basics of how to use the darn thing LOL

Be careful - I bought a camera, did a course and outgrew the camera so bought a better one, another course etc. A bit like doing mods on a Patrol.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Be careful - I bought a camera, did a course and outgrew the camera so bought a better one, another course etc. A bit like doing mods on a Patrol.
    Naaaaaa had a good camera years ago when my ex husband and I showed dogs - set it completely in auto and push button ... That's the extent of my excitement for photography LOL

Just with work get free tickets for the bikes races, motor cross etx and thought would be nice to be able to take decent photos for FB etc

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast